Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018545 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3450 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:27:24 pm »
A shot fox.

Mrs B & I were passing a field which several kites were fussing about in. She wanted to see what they were interested in. No crop to trample, so we wandered over. The carcass of a large bird, with patches of feathers scattered across a wide area - & about 50 metres away from the main piece of the carcass, a dead fox. Looked fresh, but rigor mortis had set in. A hole, from which it had bled onto the ground, suggesting it had died where it lay, on the lower side. May have been a smaller hole in the opposite side. Didn't get a chance to part the fur & confirm it before we were interrupted. Entry & exit wounds? Have to be a small-calibre weapon.

While we were looking, a Land Rover drove up. It had come from some distance away, apparently from farm buildings about a km away. Drove straight across the field to us, & the driver told us (fairly politely) that there was no footpath in this field. I said we'd been curious about the kites, & saw there was no crop so thought we'd do no harm. He said it was about pheasants, not just crops, & I said OK, we're just going. As soon as we were on our way, he drove off back the way he'd come. Odd-looking fellow. Expressionless face, dead-looking eyes. Gave Mrs B the creeps.

We were wondering about scenarios. A carcass of a large bird in a field, with a shot fox nearby - bait? Someone watching & waiting, last night? What could it have been shot with?

Carcass next to Mrs B. Any ideas what it was?

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3451 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:33:00 pm »
Any banjo players nearby ? I'd be careful if I were you

« Reply #3452 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:34:03 pm »
Where did all the kestrels come from? Six today, three of them hovering overhead as I rode past. 

And four moles, dead in the road :(

« Reply #3453 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »
@ Bledlow,

I wonder if the bird is a buzzard (or kite) it doesn't look like a pheasant, to me.  Wonder if the remains of the buzzard were used as bait to catch a fox, which was then shot by dead-eye Dick (head)?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3454 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:23:34 pm »
2 young foxes playing on the road early on, at about 6:30.

On the ride, several buzzards and a couple of roadkill deer :-(

« Reply #3455 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:42:50 pm »
Fox caught eating pheasant.  Fox shot for its audacity.  Land rover dispatched to clear up resulting mess.

No biggy, really, in the scheme of things.
Pheasant? Not unless there's a new, all-grey species in this country.

And the Land Rover didn't do any clearing up. It was dispatched to see what we were up to. Left everything else as it was.

@ Bledlow,

I wonder if the bird is a buzzard (or kite) it doesn't look like a pheasant, to me.  Wonder if the remains of the buzzard were used as bait to catch a fox, which was then shot by dead-eye Dick (head)?
This is what we wondered.

It'd be legal to shoot it there, I think.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3456 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:47:52 pm »
If it's all grey, it's probably not a buzzard.  A pretty unnerving experience for you.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3457 on: 24 November, 2013, 09:24:41 pm »
The wing looks like some kind of hawk so presumably a kite. Whether the kite, if that's what it was, was to catch the fox or the fox to catch the kite, or what, I don't know.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3458 on: 30 November, 2013, 03:08:05 pm »
The wild things are back at Seething Wells , Surbiton. Today I saw Little Grebe , Pochard , Lapwing , Gadwall along with many of the things you would expect so see in Winter.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3459 on: 01 December, 2013, 03:55:22 pm »
Tree rat (boo), several buzzards, a dead badger (even more boo) anna red kite.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3460 on: 01 December, 2013, 05:44:53 pm »
Tree rat (boo), several buzzards, a dead badger (even more boo) anna red kite.

And a deer.

« Reply #3461 on: 01 December, 2013, 05:49:12 pm »
A whole load of scrappy grouse up on the Pennines.

« Reply #3462 on: 01 December, 2013, 11:20:18 pm »
Two jays - separately - while out riding with Mrs B.

Yesterday, a dead badger.

Wednesday, a muntjac strolling along the verge as I cycled through Stoke Row. It unhurriedly toddled through a gap in the hedge as I came alongside it. Didn't seem too bothered by all the bike lights (there were nine bikes behind me).

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3463 on: 02 December, 2013, 06:48:28 pm »
The same dead badger as yesterday, buzzards, llamas, 3 deer.

« Reply #3464 on: 02 December, 2013, 06:57:28 pm »
Buzzard very low (probably just taken off) as I was on my lunchtime run. They're pretty common round here, but a close look is always nice.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3465 on: 02 December, 2013, 07:10:26 pm »
In response to Bledlow's post about foxes, dead birds and creepy Land Rover drivers, that wing does not, in my view, belong to either a buzzard or a kite.

It might be a grey heron.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3466 on: 02 December, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »
Thanks for that. Could be, could be. The Thames isn't very far away, & the size & deep breastbone of the carcass are, I think, consistent with a heron. As are, of course, all the grey feathers.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3467 on: 03 December, 2013, 09:08:26 am »
I would consider reporting that. The guy who didn't want you on his land was talking bollocks about pheasants and if he is prepared to shoot a heron (protected) then he would almost certainly take a potshot at a red kite or a buzzard.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3468 on: 03 December, 2013, 10:44:27 pm »
My mate Col and his Harris Hawk, Freya, who terrorises the pigeons and seagulls at our workplace. Apologies for the crap photo:

She's a beaut, and Col's inordinately proud of her. He also does beekeeping.

« Reply #3469 on: 18 December, 2013, 10:12:34 am »
The very tall spire of our local church

was lit up be the rising sun this morning and on one of the pinnacles on the side, keeping an eye on what was passing by below, was a plump peregrine.

« Reply #3470 on: 19 December, 2013, 10:18:27 am »
I took a camera with me on the commute this morning in case I met the peregrine again.  Alas no interesting birds.  Just James Arthur by the Millennium Bridge.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3471 on: 22 December, 2013, 08:31:51 pm »
Seals & teals

IMG_0697 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_0711 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3472 on: 22 December, 2013, 08:33:00 pm »
Is this a turnstone?

IMG_2574 by The Pingus, on Flickr

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #3473 on: 23 December, 2013, 11:05:06 am »
Is this a turnstone?

IMG_2574 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Yes, although I've never seen on grass before - amongst spilled chips on Cleethorpes prom yes, but never that far from the sea

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3474 on: 23 December, 2013, 11:23:38 am »
Thanks CS  :thumbsup: This was on a grass embankment next to the beach in Aberdeen, so very close to the sea. It was in a small mixed flock of turnstones & redshanks.