Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018516 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3550 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:27:50 pm »
Yesterday, 3 badger carcases on the main road between Warwick & Brum. The carcases are common enough, but up till now they've always been dumped on the verge. 2 had no signs of blood (presumably not roadkill), though 1 was being recycled by a couple of ravens, at least, I think both of them were involved. I sincerely hope it wasn't full of poisons, since most of the carcase was still there today, but the ravens weren't.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3551 on: 08 March, 2014, 04:19:40 pm »
A bunch of Belted Galloways grazing the slopes of Box Hill as I made my way back from the Hilly 50.  Very lovely they looked too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3552 on: 08 March, 2014, 10:16:35 pm »
Last week, a jay. Needed a longer lens:

IMG_2749 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3553 on: 09 March, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »
Buzzards, a jay, skylarks, heard yellowhammers, a lone lapwing doing its bonkers flight over a field & a kestrel hovering over another field.

spindrift

« Reply #3554 on: 10 March, 2014, 03:46:22 pm »

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3555 on: 10 March, 2014, 04:37:42 pm »
"Our" GS woodpecker was an occasional visitor to our bird feeder, particularly during those recent hard winter periods.  Then he moved about a mile down the hill.  We could still hear him, but no longer saw him.
Anyway, yesterday, he paid us a courtesy visit.    :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3556 on: 10 March, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »
Coming in from the back garden today I noticed a small black bag on the floor, as I bent over to pick it up it hopped off!

It was a magpie looking worse for wear. One of the only days this year I've left the doors open, guess where it went. Straight in through the door, through the kitchen, through the hallway, up the open stairs and into my bedroom where the dog was lying.

After wrestling the dog away from it I tried catching it, it was having none of it. It hopped down the stairway, through the hallway, through the kitchen and out of the back door :D

Last week I heard a racket by the garage doors and went to inspect. It was a pair of magpies attacking a smaller one, it was pretty savage. I shooed the pair away and the injured one flapped over into next doors garden. It must be the same one.

And for my good deeds what do I get?

A MASSIVE MAGPIE SHIT ON THE BEDROOM FLOOR!!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #3557 on: 17 March, 2014, 02:28:58 pm »
Yesterday but please forgive me that, we had a Red Kite circling over Raynes Park. Its the first one I have seen in London personally- all rather exciting to see one back in the city!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3558 on: 17 March, 2014, 02:37:37 pm »
Also yesterday and sticking with the birds of prey - a peregrine falcon over Clifton Down. They nest in the Gorge but they're not a common sight, though apparently increasing in numbers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3559 on: 17 March, 2014, 03:06:56 pm »
Mustelid themed for me. After helping a neighbour rescue a lost ferret last week (as I had cycling gloves on I was chosen to pick it up, afterwards she told me she didn't think the gloves would have given any protection) I saw a stoat this morning. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3560 on: 19 March, 2014, 11:34:07 am »
Rather sad sight this morning in Borough.  It was a dead bird on the pavement.  It had speckled brown plumage, and a long, thin beak.  Looked like a snipe (but I'm no expert).  No idea what it was doing on an urban street.

No signs of cause of death, and no blood. 

:(
Getting there...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3561 on: 19 March, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »
The local mute swans playing their usual tricks on me.  I have an ongoing mission to get good photos of them in flight, they have an ongoing joke in that they try to avoid this ever happening.  This morning my attention was diverted by a bit of heritage I was not aware of in Gosport, so I looked down at the sign, only to catch the sound of huge wingbeats just over my head, whipped round quickly and fired off a few frames, but the first and potentially best one missed the left wingtip, so detailed feathers in action, but not all of them.  Gits!  I've only got until July, when my contract finishes here, to nail my swans in flight ambitions.  I'll get you yet, you beautiful feathered friends!
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3562 on: 19 March, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »
Rather sad sight this morning in Borough.  It was a dead bird on the pavement.  It had speckled brown plumage, and a long, thin beak.  Looked like a snipe (but I'm no expert).  No idea what it was doing on an urban street.

No signs of cause of death, and no blood. 

:(

Further thought after consulting RSPB website: Maybe this was a woodcock, destined for a table, but as yet unplucked?  I don't know of any game merchants near there (Long Lane), though there's almost certainly at least one in Borough Market up the road a space.
Getting there...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3563 on: 19 March, 2014, 07:30:14 pm »
A kestrel hovering just along the shore from work.

fuzzy

« Reply #3564 on: 20 March, 2014, 02:03:40 pm »
Knee deep in the stream through the meadows twixt Maidenhead and Cookham, an Egret. Not sure if great or not. Looked the size of your standard Heron. It looked to have fluffy bits on it's head.

I then spied a domestic kitty in the road, poised at the edge, staring intently at the side of the road. As I got closer I could see that it was at the entrance to an undergrowth 'tunnel' waiting for dinner. The cat didn't hear me until I was right beside it at which point, I must have inadvertantly triggerd it's coiled spring cos it leaped into the air then ran away ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3565 on: 20 March, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »
Unknown suspected raptor over a field near Ipswich.  Bigger than a kestrel, and lacking the pointy wings of same (and it didn't hover). Didn't see it for long, suspicion of dark grey colour to top of wings. Any ideas oh wise ones?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3566 on: 20 March, 2014, 03:36:12 pm »
Sparrowhawk?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3567 on: 20 March, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »
Grass snake, basking on the path to Tesco, when Mrs B & I were walking back after an outing to replenish the fridge after our absence. It was taking advantage of some slightly warmed-up tarmac.

It slithered off into the leaf litter when we got close.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3568 on: 20 March, 2014, 06:30:21 pm »
Knee deep in the stream through the meadows twixt Maidenhead and Cookham, an Egret. Not sure if great or not. Looked the size of your standard Heron. It looked to have fluffy bits on it's head.
Great whites are a little bigger than a heron, but not much. But they are still (as far as I know) fairly rare in this country. A little would be more likely. And the little has the more distinctive crest.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3569 on: 20 March, 2014, 06:32:59 pm »
Yesterday (while I was standing in the office car park in a rather under-dressed state), a sparrow hawk flying over. I think it amused my colleagues that I stopped in mid-converstaion to point it out.  ;D
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3570 on: 21 March, 2014, 08:31:44 am »
Sparrowhawk?

Don't think so. Sparrowhawks are more in the "tabby cat" colour scheme end of things.  This was a bit battleship grey.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3571 on: 21 March, 2014, 09:25:41 am »
Unknown suspected raptor over a field near Ipswich.  Bigger than a kestrel, and lacking the pointy wings of same (and it didn't hover). Didn't see it for long, suspicion of dark grey colour to top of wings. Any ideas oh wise ones?

Sounds like a Goshawk to me.

How do I know?

One escaped a couple of years ago and was taking cats in our area.  It spent a happy half hour sunning itself on our decking one day.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3572 on: 21 March, 2014, 11:54:24 am »
Backtracking a bit, following a spot of web based research:  Goshawk seems unlikely, as according to  the RSPB website, they don't really get that far east. Leastways, there's a hole in the distribution map over the Ipswich area.

But what I didn't realise until 10 minutes ago was that male Sparrowhawks(1) are grey, not tabby like the female.  Add to that the "being seen over a field" bit, I'd say it was a male Sparrowhawk.

(1) Is it just me that mentally appends "Family Centre" to the word Sparrowhawk?

« Reply #3573 on: 21 March, 2014, 12:48:41 pm »
On the riverside walk outside the Tate Modern this morning, a proper grown up frog.  A few passers by did nice double-takes when they spotted it.

« Reply #3574 on: 23 March, 2014, 10:15:32 am »
A dead mustelid on the side of the road between Edingale and Lullington (near Tamworth).  It looked far chunkier than a weasel or stoat but not badger-sized or badger-coloured.  Could it have been a ferret ?