Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1019540 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: Seen today
« Reply #3600 on: 01 April, 2014, 11:17:26 pm »
Sat in my armchair this afternoon, and a shadow passed over me. I looked up to see a heron in flight. Then I spotted something else, gliding East at some height. Buzzards are becoming more and more common here, so I pointed the binoculars I keep on my windowsill...

Osprey. Magic!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #3601 on: 02 April, 2014, 11:04:06 am »
mallard, in the road. Two oncoming cars jinked round it, however the truck caused it to panic into flight.

Unfortunately it was facing into the road and therefore tried to fly across the path of the lorry. Last I saw was the bird tumbling into the verge on my side of the road just before I got there.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3602 on: 02 April, 2014, 11:32:07 am »
Female black redstart in the garden. Had to look it up. I don't think I've seen one before.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3603 on: 03 April, 2014, 09:31:07 pm »
Ooh! Listen for the song. Nothing amazing, but in the middle it stops dead while some bacon is fried.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3604 on: 04 April, 2014, 09:07:08 am »
Heard but did not see, because it was a little bit misty and overcast, skylarks singing over the fields above Dyrham yesterday afternoon (before it started raining, obvs). The sound that makes me think of summer - but it isn't yet!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3605 on: 05 April, 2014, 10:22:11 am »
Nearly got taken out by a mountain hare on the descent of BH1 last night. Heard an owl in Durris (dunno what kind - it screeched then went oo-oo?).

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3606 on: 12 April, 2014, 03:35:22 pm »
Badger in our garden  :thumbsup: :D

EK005112 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #3607 on: 13 April, 2014, 10:00:04 am »
Badger in our garden  :thumbsup: :D

EK005112 by The Pingus, on Flickr

You are so lucky Pingu, I would love to have a visiting badger in my garden  ;D
123 Miles East of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3608 on: 13 April, 2014, 06:13:47 pm »
A lost frog. It was hiding behind the plant pots by our front door, in a wilderness of paved & gravelled front gardens in a street of terrace houses. Damned if I know how it got there. We took it to a better place, i.e. our allotment, to enjoy the pond, abundant cover, & plethora of edible invertebrata.

I opened the container in which we'd carried it & handed it to Mrs B to release it. She said "How should I release it?" - just as, with perfect timing, it took matters into its own claws & leapt out, straight into the pond.  :thumbsup:

PS. I understand that moving amphibians is illegal in general, though allowed to rescue 'em, e.g. from being run over. Considering that I was in the process of destroying its hiding place when I found it, I think I rescued it by moving it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3609 on: 13 April, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
Swallow in Burnsall, Wharfedale.  It nearly put  my eye out, the wonderful thing!

Ruth

« Reply #3610 on: 13 April, 2014, 09:12:47 pm »
Swallow in Burnsall, Wharfedale.  It nearly put  my eye out, the wonderful thing!

POTD!

:D :D :D

« Reply #3611 on: 13 April, 2014, 09:20:10 pm »
I'd have forgiven it - my eyes are not as good as they used to be, anyway!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3612 on: 14 April, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »
A spider catching, wrapping and hauling away a woodlouse - all in our living room! (Mrs Cudzo pls not to read this.) It was fascinating and although the actual ambush was incredibly quick - the spider dropped down on the woodlouse from above and paralysed (it was not killed, cos it managed to unroll itself later) it - the process of wrapping it up and hauling it away to the web was fairly lengthy, with many runs up and down the ascending line to the web.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3613 on: 16 April, 2014, 01:39:04 pm »
T'other night as I cycled by the edge of Redhill Common, houses and Thee Pubbe on one side, common on the other, I rounded a corner to see a Badger ambling in the road. I'm not sure which of us was the most surprised.  Badger turned round and ambled back up the bank onto the common.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3614 on: 16 April, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »
Another frog in our front garden. It was hiding behind plant pot no. 3. The previous one was behind pots 1 & 2. Definitely a different frog. A bit smaller.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3615 on: 16 April, 2014, 04:24:19 pm »
A hare running across a field.

Then a reddish coloured squirrel but I believe the red squirrels in this part of Germany aren't like the English red squirrels.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #3616 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:32:30 pm »
Cute coot in the Bois de Boulogne (Paris), Sunday

Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3617 on: 18 April, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
Three bikes leaning against each other in the garden-let. A robin hops onto the saddle of Little Cudzo's, then onto my top tube, then onto Mrs Cudzo's handlebars. Then flies off to the drainpipe.

« Reply #3618 on: 18 April, 2014, 08:27:10 pm »
Glaring & threatening postures by two robins on the allotment.

Oh, & a frog in the pond.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3619 on: 21 April, 2014, 11:26:36 am »
Buzzard being mobbed by a pair of crows and a yellowhammer (both pics heavily cropped):

IMG_0801 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_0807 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3620 on: 21 April, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »
Great Bustards on Salisbury Plain, courtesy of The Great Bustard Group. And Stone Curlews taaw.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3621 on: 21 April, 2014, 10:26:25 pm »
I'd have forgiven it - my eyes are not as good as they used to be, anyway!

Are you familiar with Eric Hoskings? He was the first person, or so I understand, to make a living entirely from wildlife photography. One of his books was called "An eye for a bird" on account of the fact that shortly after taking one of the photographs in the book, the subject, a female tawny owl with chicks, attacked him and tore his eye out.

Today's treat was a conversation with a cuckoo, which I attempted to photograph.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3622 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:50:32 pm »
These chaps are usually a bit too active to photograph, but I found them having a reflective pause.

« Reply #3623 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:51:30 pm »
..and lots of finching going on

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3624 on: 22 April, 2014, 11:24:08 pm »
Lots of the horse chestnuts have spikes already. None actually in flower yet. And the beeches with their new leaves, so bright green against the silvery grey bark - one of the most beautiful colour combinations.