Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018769 times)

JJ

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3650 on: 09 May, 2014, 12:11:57 pm »
Two cock pheasants fighting, and a jay seeing off a magpie.  The magpie thought he'd gone far enough, and settled down, so the jay came back for second helpings and made REALLY sure!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3651 on: 12 May, 2014, 09:00:38 pm »
Moorhen chicks:

IMG_3199 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #3652 on: 13 May, 2014, 06:42:43 pm »
Two swallows, welcome to summer!

« Reply #3653 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:52:54 am »
We've had swifts screaming overhead for a while now.

Saw a swarm of bees yesterday, on the allotment. One bloke left, having a problem with bee stings & anaphylactc shock. Someone else went to phone a person who would be interested in catching the swarm.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3654 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:13:18 am »
Swifts and dolphins.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3655 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:47:31 am »
My landlord is a beekeeper (honey is available - 'cept I don't like it). Today whilst I was out on walkies some of his bees swarmed to a tree across the road

Somehow the top swarm looks like the playboy bunny logo!

On the walk I watched this hare run across a field, then stop and clean his face (between the bars of the gate)

And then he headed off.

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3656 on: 17 May, 2014, 07:01:28 pm »
Bitterns!  :D
And more importantly we heard them booming. We've seen them before but never at the right time of year for the song.
It really is like someone blowing across the top of a really big milk bottle, maybe a demijohn.
(We were at the Ham Wall RSPB and Shapwick Heath Natural England* nature reserves on the Somerset levels.
Saw lots of other good stuff as well, but that was the prize.

*: or is it English Nature this week?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

fuzzy

« Reply #3657 on: 18 May, 2014, 05:24:17 am »
Dolphins (or Porpoises) and Pelicans in the entrance to San Francisco Bay as SWMBO and I walked across Golde Gate Bridge

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #3658 on: 18 May, 2014, 09:18:28 pm »
A male Blackcap flew into my front wheel and was half shredded as a result :'( despite being a wimp about such things I did manage to put the poor blighter out of its pain. I do notice a disproportionate number of dead Blackcaps by the sides of roads.

On a more positive note, I also saw my first Hobby for 2 years later in the ride, some fine views as it circled trees and the river close-by

Ruth

« Reply #3659 on: 18 May, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »
A bunny. 

The nice thing about my quiet Shimano freewheel is not scaring off the wildlife from half a mile away.  Which was kinda the point, really.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3660 on: 18 May, 2014, 10:38:03 pm »
In SW Scotland: a stoat, a red kite, 'wild' goats and a PINE MARTEN. The first time I've seen a pine marten in Scotland and in broad freakin' daylight  :D

« Reply #3661 on: 18 May, 2014, 10:48:11 pm »
Pot the frog now has a companion (named Notpot), & a small toad has also moved in. Our allotment pond & its environs are now home to three anurans. Mrs B likes to sit & watch them sometimes, e.g. early this evening. But they don't do much, apart from eating the odd insect.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

red marley

« Reply #3662 on: 18 May, 2014, 11:49:41 pm »
A Kingfisher flying up the River Lea in the Olympic Park. The place is looking really good at the moment with meadow flowers everywhere. I don't know if there were ever Kingfishers at Stratford before the Olympic redevelopment, but it feels like they've done a really good job with the riverside environment.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3663 on: 19 May, 2014, 12:28:17 am »
A male Blackcap flew into my front wheel and was half shredded as a result :'( despite being a wimp about such things I did manage to put the poor blighter out of its pain. I do notice a disproportionate number of dead Blackcaps by the sides of roads.

On a more positive note, I also saw my first Hobby for 2 years later in the ride, some fine views as it circled trees and the river close-by
A male chaffinch once did that into my brother's front wheel. he had an idea that it was attacking his spoke reflectors. Did you have reflectors fitted perchance?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3664 on: 19 May, 2014, 08:35:27 am »
In SW Scotland: a stoat, a red kite, 'wild' goats and a PINE MARTEN. The first time I've seen a pine marten in Scotland and in broad freakin' daylight  :D

Ooh, that is a good'un!  I have seen one in the  Picos de Europa in Spain, we were just having our evening constitutional walk up from our holiday apartment, and Mrs W said "what that in the road behind us?" and lo and behold, a pine marten standing up on his back legs, effectively saying "Hey, look, I'm a pine marten, wanna take a picture?"

We spent this weekend at Fawley Hill, the McAlpine's place near Henley on Thames.  it was nice to see the cuddly alpacas, and see the camels and tapirs, but after the event had a flying display by a spitfire, we were all treated to a far better display by a pair of red kites, who were not exactly shy, and were swooping down and grabbing things off the ground.  Sadly I was travelling as light as possible, photographically, and only had my 17-70 lens. I hasten to add that the red kites were not staged, they were just the local bird population.  We do see them near home, but they aren't usually as brazen as these were.
Wombat

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3665 on: 19 May, 2014, 07:25:03 pm »
Female Mallard with 13 young at Teddington Lock.
Female Mandarin with 3 young in Isabella Plantation, Richmond Park.
Female Egyptian Goose with 7 young in Isabella Plantation.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3666 on: 20 May, 2014, 02:52:59 pm »
Two kestrels, kestrelling about outside the office.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3667 on: 20 May, 2014, 04:04:44 pm »
One crow, eating a crisp.

Ruth

« Reply #3668 on: 20 May, 2014, 09:41:18 pm »
Lots of baby bunnies.  Soooo cute.

Yellowhammers.  Finches.  Pigeons.  Crows.  Gulls.

Bugloss.  That pink stuff I can never remember the name of.  Rosebay willowherb.  Mallow.  Loads of umbellifers - including some hogweed.  Elderflowers.  Horse chestnuts in glorious flower, both red and white.  Bluebells.  Ragwort.  Campion.  Buttercups.  Red clover.

Gorgeous English spring evening.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3669 on: 20 May, 2014, 10:11:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure there's a nightingale in a tree in front of the Country Girl.
For a week or so I've been thinking, "Blimey, that blackbird is being pretty tunefull"
I had my suspicions, but only tonight checked the song on the RSPB site.
Wow!  I do think it may be.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3670 on: 20 May, 2014, 10:14:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure there's a nightingale in a tree in front of the Country Girl.
For a week or so I've been thinking, "Blimey, that blackbird is being pretty tunefull"
I had my suspicions, but only tonight checked the song on the RSPB site.
Wow!  I do think it may be.

That's pretty remarkable if it is, Basil. They don't normally venture north of the Home Counties in the UK, although there were quite a few in Denmark, and loads in the dunes between the Hook of Holland and The Hague when we were there last year.. Could be climate change I suppose.

Any chance of a recording?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3671 on: 20 May, 2014, 10:51:53 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't know how to do a sound recording on a nexus.  I did make a video of a paving slab last week with said bird as the soundtrack, but found that the resulting file was too big to email to my Photobucket account.
I deleted the file some days ago as I thought I was just being silly and it was probably just an exuberant blackbird.  But now I'm not so sure.

I could be making a fool of my self,  I'm not sure.  Nightingales do get as far northwest as Warwickshire, Worcestershire probably not.  South urban Brum, well, I agree, it would be remarkable.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3672 on: 21 May, 2014, 06:23:43 pm »
*Embarrassed*
It's a blackbird.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3673 on: 21 May, 2014, 07:02:37 pm »
Blackbirds are good mimics. Maybe it's mimicking a nightingale.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3674 on: 21 May, 2014, 09:24:14 pm »
A couple of times this year I have heard song thrushes to which I have had to listen very carefully before I was sure they weren't nightingales. I haven't heard a nightingale this year.