Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018516 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Seen today
« Reply #3750 on: 27 July, 2014, 08:43:07 pm »
A hare, lolloping along a lane near Grittleton. I would have won the race, of course, obviously, stands to reason, but it jumped through a hedge into a field.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3751 on: 28 July, 2014, 11:11:49 pm »
This visitor to the 371km control on the National 400 didn't want his card stamping...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3752 on: 29 July, 2014, 06:39:19 pm »
A kestrel near work  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3753 on: 29 July, 2014, 06:46:25 pm »
A beautiful, large, green dragonfly. Which flew right into the revolving spokes of my front wheel.  :'(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3754 on: 31 July, 2014, 04:53:00 pm »
A red kite this morning and a siege, or even sedge, of herons standing in a field. There were four of them, anyway.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3755 on: 31 July, 2014, 08:35:38 pm »
Dragonfly on my run at lunchtime. Very close.
And swallows on telegraph wires.  Don't go. Not yet!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3756 on: 02 August, 2014, 12:04:00 pm »
It's raining so hard in Brum that everyone is making for higher ground.

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3757 on: 06 August, 2014, 02:02:42 pm »
Yesterday evening a Green Woodpecker - been hearing them for ages, but only spotted one from the back bedroom window last evening as it headed for the woods.

And on Saturday, a raptor which had an unusual flight pattern - gliding and then what I think is "stooping" - folding the wigs back and heading earthwards. Did this three times on the trot without as far as we could see actually getting to earth. Research suggests it may be the offspring of a pair of Peregrine Falcons that have nested on Aylesbury's council offices for the past 3 or so years. A first for me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3758 on: 10 August, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »
Seals, kestrels & buzzards.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3759 on: 10 August, 2014, 06:37:05 pm »
Given the nature of today's weather it might be thought entirely normal to see a frog.  A brown one about the size of the top joint of my thumb.  However, it appeared to be sheltering from the rain halfway down an indoor flight of steps leading to a school gymnasium ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3760 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »
Given the nature of today's weather it might be thought entirely normal to see a frog.  A brown one about the size of the top joint of my thumb.  However, it appeared to be sheltering from the rain halfway down an indoor flight of steps leading to a school gymnasium ???

Probably came from the lost property box...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3761 on: 12 August, 2014, 09:52:30 pm »
I was just putting my key in the door after a bit of shopping today when I heard a whistling noise. Then I heard it again. I thought it was kids across the road. On the third time of hearing it I looked up and right overhead was a sparrowhawk doing tis stuff.

« Reply #3762 on: 13 August, 2014, 04:33:48 pm »
Toads, toads, toads. And maybe a frog. On the allotment. If we look in the right places, we can pretty easily tally double figures. All sizes, though numbers diminish with size.

Several of them (including one impressively big fat toad) have found a formic food dispenser under a plastic sheet put down for weed clearance, & just sit beside it all day.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3763 on: 14 August, 2014, 02:20:23 pm »
4 blinking baby foxes in the back garden. Two had the temerity to be sitting on our garden table. Needless to say … I chased them off!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3764 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:55:23 pm »
Driving down the M26 to pick up the M20 at about 2.45pm this afternoon.
Heading south 2 Lancasters with what looked like a Spitfire astern but much higher.
Incredible sight but couldn't take a picture, driving damn!! and eating a sandwich, texting, talking on the phone.......

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3765 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:06:27 am »
Heading south 2 Lancasters with what looked like a Spitfire astern but much higher.
Incredible sight but couldn't take a picture, driving damn!! and eating a sandwich, texting, talking on the phone.......

They're currently at Biggin Hill and flying at Eastbourne, but I don't think Lancs qualify as animals, wild or otherwise :P

« Reply #3766 on: 15 August, 2014, 09:02:18 pm »
A kingfisher flying along a backwater of the Thames near bray  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3767 on: 15 August, 2014, 10:51:00 pm »
Klaus my German cycling companion got within a whisker of running over a Bisamratte. It looked like a beaver to me but the tail was wrong - a huge rodenty thing with a dead animal in its mouth. Reference to the dictionary tells me that Bisamratte is a muskrat.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3768 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:14:22 pm »

They're currently at Biggin Hill and flying at Eastbourne, but I don't think Lancs qualify as animals, wild or otherwise :P

Ooops

« Reply #3769 on: 21 August, 2014, 09:34:26 am »
Walked out of the flat this morning & saw a heron on the ground.  Sheltering against the wall of a neighbors house.    There was a lot of seagull activity overhead and they were coming in at 3 ft off the ground to dive bomb the poor thing. 

I was late for work so had to dash.  Asked the caretaker to keep an eye on it, but other than trying to catch it & release away from the flats (seagull colony on the roof  ::-) )  I'm unsure what else could be done.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3770 on: 21 August, 2014, 10:44:07 am »
A heron near Cambridge this morning  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3771 on: 21 August, 2014, 01:57:38 pm »
A Banded Demoiselle.  We don't usually get many dragonflies, but we've had quite a few this year. This was a first though.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3772 on: 23 August, 2014, 04:45:08 pm »
About 9 pm last night, a bloody enormous toad at the side of the road. It retreated into undergrowth when we stopped to look at it. Two metres further on, there was another, smaller, one.

This was on the upper, unpaved, section of Bulmershe Road, Reading.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3773 on: 23 August, 2014, 04:55:16 pm »
When Dez and I were out driving on Wednesday we saw a little owl.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3774 on: 24 August, 2014, 04:37:58 am »
Lots of ground squirls or similar rodentiform critters, and a pair of rather magnificent deer at the top of the La Poudre Pass.  Alas they did a runner before I could get the camera out of its case (it was raining).