Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018580 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Seen today
« Reply #3875 on: 30 November, 2014, 04:27:59 pm »
Somebody's idea of a weekend's fun:

Sorry for the blur: it was 3°C, I had thick cycling gloves on over frozen fingers, and the lights had just changed.

Otherwise, this is as close to a wild boar as I want to get.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #3876 on: 30 November, 2014, 06:59:32 pm »
Where is this, and can I buy sausages??

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3877 on: 30 November, 2014, 07:18:32 pm »
A f***ing mozzie in my bathroom in the wee small hours this morning.

DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME OUT HERE?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3878 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:01:44 am »
Where is this, and can I buy sausages??

Dunno about you, but I certainly can.  My chum Thierry does excellent wild boar salami.

As to where it is, the clue is in the number plate.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3879 on: 02 December, 2014, 05:04:18 pm »
A male Cardinalis cardinalis in the tree outside the study window.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3880 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:25:33 am »
A greater spotted woodpecker in Priory Park. I heard a lot of long-tailed tits as well, but it was too cold to stop to watch them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #3881 on: 06 December, 2014, 06:44:08 pm »
Friday 2:00pm, pleasant sunny afternoon, a fox ambled up our suburban street. The bins had been collected in the morning - maybe he was making his/her way home after a useful morning's tearing bin bags up...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3882 on: 16 December, 2014, 10:18:49 pm »
Sunday: a fleeting glimpse of a sparrohawk in Churchill Gardens. A little later, I spotted a greater spotted woodpecker whilst driving along at 50mph. All I could see was the silhouette and flight pattern, only later a bit of piebaldiness. I reckon it was in my field of view for less than a second.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3883 on: 19 December, 2014, 05:37:21 am »
A nocturnal song thrush that thinks it's spring. The last time I recall a December song thrush was 10 years ago, over Christmas. It was very frosty and for a few nights it sang on the corner of Priory Park at about 1 am. I remember this very well as it was only a few days after my mother's funeral.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3884 on: 20 December, 2014, 11:37:18 am »
Last night, at ten. Foot of the stairs to my front door. Two deer.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #3885 on: 20 December, 2014, 12:36:20 pm »
While making lunch, a fox in next door's garden.

« Reply #3886 on: 21 December, 2014, 06:08:34 pm »
A nocturnal song thrush that thinks it's spring. The last time I recall a December song thrush was 10 years ago, over Christmas. It was very frosty and for a few nights it sang on the corner of Priory Park at about 1 am. I remember this very well as it was only a few days after my mother's funeral.
I'm not sure about their current habits. However, one of the memorable parts of my ride to join Frenchie's (acf) Christmas ride in Dec 2006 was the song thrushes singing well before dawn, but a little later than the robins.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3887 on: 25 December, 2014, 05:11:20 pm »
Wren, goosander, goldeneye, teal, treecreeper and lots of robins.

IMG_4523 by The Pingus, on Flickr

That's the treecreeper.

« Reply #3888 on: 25 December, 2014, 07:44:30 pm »
Pied wagtail in the back garden. Not particularly unusual, in fact fairly common round here and we often get them across the road at the front, but almost never at the back. This was the first one we've seen in 2014.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3889 on: 25 December, 2014, 08:21:18 pm »
Quite a few birds today whilst walking, although nothing out of the ordinary. In order of noteworthyness:-

2 kestrels. I referred to them as a "pair" but with hindsight I think they were in conflict rather than harmony
1 green woodpecker
13 swans flying in an echelon, numerous other swans on the ground
numerous waders, including curlews and redshank
1 little egret
1 heron
1 greenfinch
loads of gulls, pigeons and other "boring stuff"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3890 on: 26 December, 2014, 10:16:49 am »
Not seen but heard: some variety of critter, beastie or varmint has taken up residence almost directly above my bed at Fort Larrington, where it exhibits scratching behaviour at all hours of the morning.  Most likely suspect is a tree rat as there are plenty round here and tree rats in general have form for this kind of behaviour.

If it's a Mogwai I'm going home.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3891 on: 29 December, 2014, 09:58:41 am »
For the first time in 15 years, we saw a bullfinch in our garden on the feeders. A lovely sight.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3892 on: 29 December, 2014, 04:02:12 pm »
About a dozen seals lounging about at Seal Sands.

Also, while I was riding along, I saw a kestrel out of the corner of my eye come a-swooping down, all purposeful death aimed at some squeaky thing in the central reservation. But it made a slight miscalculation, face planted into the turf and flapped back up, looking distinctly woozy.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3893 on: 30 December, 2014, 07:42:58 am »
Massive buzzard yesterday at the edge of the woods. It alighted on a branch and watched me, looming huge. As soon as I wrestled my phone out of my jacket pocket to take a pic it decided to head off.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3894 on: 31 December, 2014, 10:17:09 pm »
A couple of weeks ago as I was riding along that rural paradise the river Wandle (entirely within greater London) I saw a Kingfisher :thumbsup: This excitement has encouraged me to detour that way a few times in the hopes of seeing it again. Yesterday we saw a pied wagtail and a grey wagtail and an egret, today we saw the egret again and a goldcrest! It gets better and better. To complete the set, we saw a yellow wagtail in malham when we were there last week.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3895 on: 02 January, 2015, 05:36:02 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3896 on: 03 January, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »
Morphy doesn't like going for walks on cold wet days, but some time late into the morning there is a tipping point at which the need is greater than the desire for warmth.

Anyway, today we delayed until about 2.30 and, fortunately, a break in the rain. The park was all but deserted other than a lovely young family in which dad was playing sploshy football with his daughter, about 5 years old I reckon. General hilarity ensued when Morphy nicked the tennis ball they had been playing with. We retrieved it and returned it to them.

A few minutes later we saw a green woodpecker alight on a sycamore trunk only to be followed within seconds by a greater spotted woodpecker, which mobbed it, and the green woodpecker flew away. I have never before seen both species at the same time, and certainly not interacting. It seems to me that, for a big bird, the green woodpecker is a bit of a wuss.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3897 on: 03 January, 2015, 05:06:01 pm »
Out on a walk today.  A lamb.  In a field!
After 50 years of Archers listening, even I know that lambing begins at Christmas, but that is indoor lambing.  I've never seen one in a field this early before.
It didn't have a ewe in attendance, and all the ewes anywhere near it appeared to be pregnant (I'm not an expert) and were ignoring it.
I fear that all was not well.
Not one of our neighbouring farm's fields, so I mentioned it to couple outside the next cottage we passed, in case it was information that needed to be passed on locally.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3898 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:34:35 pm »

Nice photo! Is that through the window of your hice?

« Reply #3899 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:37:33 pm »

Nice photo! Is that through the window of your hice?
'Hice' suggests you might be royalty  :P