Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018195 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Seen today
« Reply #4000 on: 03 May, 2015, 01:50:23 pm »
A propos of Andrij's remark, I once had a class of children including a Vanessa Fry, a Russell May and a Howard Slowley. There was unrestricted mirth when I created the obvious sentence on the blackboard. Punctuation is very important in that as well, as is spelling.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4001 on: 03 May, 2015, 11:07:56 pm »
Marine woodlice. Or at least, somethings looking very similar to woodlice in a rockpool on the beach at Clevedon. Can woodlice actually live in salt water?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4002 on: 03 May, 2015, 11:10:50 pm »
Ligia oceanica, the sea slater.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligia_oceanica
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4003 on: 04 May, 2015, 10:31:13 pm »
A skylark, so I was reliably informed,  sitting on a hedge rather than larking in the sky, although we saw the latter too. And we heard a cuckoo.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4004 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:44:21 pm »
A jay in the next street. Again.

I've never seen it in this street.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #4005 on: 09 May, 2015, 02:01:48 pm »
A pile of wood on Thursday evening's MTB ride:

Closer inspection revealed this:

« Reply #4006 on: 10 May, 2015, 08:14:59 pm »
Red kite, swallows, partridges.
Have you been to see your local Harlequin duck yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KgSkbnFx3o

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4008 on: 11 May, 2015, 11:46:56 am »
A couple of swifts this morning  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4009 on: 11 May, 2015, 05:47:08 pm »
I saw my first swifts of the year on Saturday evening. Maybe they were on their way to see you, Pingu?  :D

A few minutes ago, in the town centre, a swarm of bees all over someone's BSO. I have some photographs which I will endeavour to upload.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4010 on: 13 May, 2015, 07:56:04 pm »
When I arrived home this evening I found a dead blackcap where we park our car. I'm sure it wasn't there when I went out earlier. I expect it was hit by a passing vehicle.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #4011 on: 13 May, 2015, 08:43:35 pm »
Spotted a sparrowhawk, devouring the last of something feathered it had killed in my garden.  It scarpered before I could lay hands on a camera.  Inspection of the few remains was inconclusive.

Later, on The World at One, a racing pigeon enthusiast was protesting that the efficacy of raptor conservation efforts bodes ill for pigeons and those that breed them. He was specifically Not a Fan of sparrowhawks.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4012 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:45:12 am »
I heard that too, and thought it worthy of a thread of its own before I saw the above post.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4013 on: 16 May, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »
From an email from my cousin this morning:
The house martins are busy building nests around the Bothy. This morning we sat and watched them. It is busier than an airport. More birds than I’ve seen for a few years. Love to hear them. Dippers around, too and rabbits running around over the burn. Quite a few adders have been seen locally.
and
No evidence of mice under sink.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #4014 on: 16 May, 2015, 02:41:16 pm »
Seen standing in the way and being generally Elklike 4 Elk, Sweden. Very big.

« Reply #4015 on: 17 May, 2015, 01:00:17 pm »
A pine marten hopped down on to the road in front of me, game me a look then back into the woods.  First one I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4016 on: 17 May, 2015, 05:29:58 pm »
We surprised a stoat crossing the road. It was carrying a baby rabbit as big as itself and gave us an indignant squeak before dropping the bunny and running into the hedge.
Milk please, no sugar.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4017 on: 17 May, 2015, 11:52:55 pm »
A pine marten hopped down on to the road in front of me, game me a look then back into the woods.  First one I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

Like  :thumbsup: Where?

« Reply #4018 on: 18 May, 2015, 11:37:23 am »
Just north of the campsies, on the road from fintry to killearn.  It fair made my run.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4019 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:27:37 am »
There is a massive preponderance of mallard drakes at the park at the moment. Yesterday we counted 22 males to 3 females. Not surprisingly, there has been a dearth of duckings. Yesterday's were the first we have seen this year, which is remarkably late. There were 6 then. There were only 2 of those left this morning.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4020 on: 20 May, 2015, 02:31:47 pm »
There is a massive preponderance of mallard drakes at the park at the moment. Yesterday we counted 22 males to 3 females. Not surprisingly, there has been a dearth of duckings. Yesterday's were the first we have seen this year, which is remarkably late. There were 6 then. There were only 2 of those left this morning.

Mrs T and myself went for a walk up at Sheepwash Reservoir a couple of weeks ago.  Of the ducks there appeared to be 1 female and 3 males, BUT 15 chicks! Either the other mummies had buggered off, died, or were hiding.

The geese, however were the other way around, lots of females, hardly any males (maybe they were at the pub) and a low ratio of females to goslings.

A rather over enthusiastic Dalmation got a little close to the geese and goslings.  I am betting that it doesn't do that again!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4021 on: 20 May, 2015, 07:56:30 pm »
Heard not seen.  Cuckoo.  At Sandwich.  First cuckoo we've heard in some 5 or 6 years.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4022 on: 21 May, 2015, 10:19:28 pm »

Mrs T and myself went for a walk up at Sheepwash Reservoir a couple of weeks ago.  Of the ducks there appeared to be 1 female and 3 males, BUT 15 chicks! Either the other mummies had buggered off, died, or were hiding.
I've seen several ducks with a dozen or more chicks. There was one on the Kennet in Reading which  raised very large broods for a few years in a row in the late 1980s, & one near Burghfield which did the same around 2003-2007.

The first of those always had two drakes in tow in the breeding season, which may have helped. I think the Burghfield one did the same.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #4023 on: 22 May, 2015, 03:07:10 pm »
I love these :thumbsup:

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4024 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:08:21 pm »
A pheasant, crossing the road.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.