Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018311 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #4200 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:37:27 pm »
They are distinctively bulky, aren't they?

I saw one on the banks of the Ouse many years ago.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4201 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:27:59 pm »
Deer, buzzards & a red squirrel.

« Reply #4202 on: 07 December, 2015, 02:27:17 pm »
I've just been watching a male Blackcap in the garden. It's the first one I've ever seen here.

When my wife and I moved here 20 years ago, the garden/street was wildlife wasteland. I'd never lived anywhere that had no birdlife. The RSPB advert is correct, build it and they will come. My garden is now like a little UK wildlife safari. Highlights this year include a barn owl and a short eared owl in the field across from the house, crossbills and Green woodpeckers eating ants off my wall.

The really good bit, others in the street have been watching the birds in my garden and started feeding birds too over the past few months :thumbsup:

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4203 on: 07 December, 2015, 02:49:11 pm »
We usually don't feed birds during the summer. There's plenty of sources of wild food for them. Over the last week, or so, I've seen many tits and finches checking out the bird feeders in the garden so we've started the winter feeding. Give it a week or two and they'll be eating more of the household income than we do.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #4204 on: 07 December, 2015, 03:06:25 pm »
@ bumper

Lovely success story, bumper!  We are urban here, though not far from the moors, and we get most of the commoner tits and finches in our tiny garden.  I love it when we hear the "teetle-teetle" of a flock of long-tailed tits coming through.  We hear both barn and tawny owls from time to time and I have seen a short-eared one over on the industrial estate.  No green woodpecker, though!

« Reply #4205 on: 07 December, 2015, 03:18:31 pm »
I love it when we hear the "teetle-teetle" of a flock of long-tailed tits coming through. 

They'll be in the gardens picking at fat balls and nuts soon enough, once winter actually arrives. It amazes me how things that are so tiny survive a hard winter.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4206 on: 08 December, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
I love it when we hear the "teetle-teetle" of a flock of long-tailed tits coming through. 

They'll be in the gardens picking at fat balls and nuts soon enough, once winter actually arrives. It amazes me how things that are so tiny survive a hard winter.

In the spring of 1963 we found a ltt's nest with babies in it. Amazing. They became exceedingly rare after 30-odd days of unbroken frost.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4207 on: 11 December, 2015, 11:58:33 pm »
Pheasant.  Waddling around next to the right hand traffic bollard here

The only thing more puzzling than how it got there is how it was still alive.   ???

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4208 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:30:57 pm »
Pheasant.  Waddling around next to the right hand traffic bollard here

The only thing more puzzling than how it got there is how it was still alive.   ???

The pheasants round here are too stupid to get hit by anything.

On two separate runs this week - Run 1 had pheasants and kestrels, on run 2 I ran into a brown hare (almost literally as I was off road and it was almost dark)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4209 on: 19 December, 2015, 11:50:06 pm »
Red kite  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4210 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:11:54 am »
Sorry, Pingu: yesterday, dozens of red-kites in the Bramham to Wetherby A1(M) fly-zone but this is topped by:-

Yesteryesterday, a woolly bear (tiger moth) caterpillar trundling across a pavement in Rochdale - two days before Midwinter......

« Reply #4211 on: 21 December, 2015, 07:42:55 am »
Yesterday: about 15 guinea fowl which had strayed onto the road between Blandford Forum and Salisbury.

Mrs C was driving so stopped further on than strictly necessary. By the time I'd walked back to them someone, who looked suspiciously like a farmer, in a Land Rover had stopped and herded them back through the hedge and into the field (so no photographs). He told me they were living wild in the field and he couldn't find the gap they kept escaping through. Not the sharpest scythe in the tool shed, then.

Fortunately, no guinea fowl pizza.

Unfortunately, no guinea fowl road kill for Christmas Dinner.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

ElyDave

« Reply #4212 on: 21 December, 2015, 07:44:10 am »
2 hours in the Fens yesterday and bereft of anything more interesting than a crow or a flock of pigeons.

Best was a gaggle of migratory geese grazing in a field near the Ouse Washes.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #4213 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:53:04 am »
A muntjac dear on my patio this morning eating the Cyclamen from the pots… Grrrrrrrrr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4214 on: 21 December, 2015, 10:21:05 am »
Sorry, Pingu: yesterday, dozens of red-kites in the Bramham to Wetherby A1(M) fly-zone...

No worries Peter. Up here, seeing dozens of red kites would be major news. It's not been long since they were reintroduced.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4215 on: 21 December, 2015, 03:02:23 pm »
A muntjac dear on my patio this morning eating the Cyclamen from the pots… Grrrrrrrrr

Could be worse.  Imagine if it had been a caribou nibbling the croquet hoops.

(Exit, pursued by the Python Police)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4216 on: 21 December, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »
Red kite  :thumbsup:

Was it a `real one` ie part indigenous Welsh Kite population, (now numbering probably in excess of 500, sometimes 2-300 at Gilfach, Rhayader feeding site ) ---which is now spreading rapidly across into Herefordshire and Shropshire, or was it an incomer introduced one though???
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #4218 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:28:31 pm »
Muntjac are just as edible as other species of deer & they've bcome a pest. Culling has to focus on bucks. The does are usually pregnant, but usually with a fawn, possibly still suckling, in attendance, but in cover.

OTOH invasive species, foreign... cyclamen ;)  And yes I do have cyclamen in the back garden & the American tree rats prefer Mr's N's winter pansies :-X .

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

red marley

« Reply #4220 on: 21 December, 2015, 10:24:48 pm »
Ring necked parakeets. They've been around in N and W London for decades and have gradually been moving east. I've made the odd sighting of them in my bit of East London, but they now feel properly established. Saw the first one in our garden last week and on my walk into work this morning I saw three separate flocks of 20+ birds and heard couple more. They may be a bit of a pest but they are beautiful in flight.

ElyDave

« Reply #4221 on: 21 December, 2015, 10:55:05 pm »
Ring necked parakeets. They've been around in N and W London for decades and have gradually been moving east. I've made the odd sighting of them in my bit of East London, but they now feel properly established. Saw the first one in our garden last week and on my walk into work this morning I saw three separate flocks of 20+ birds and heard couple more. They may be a bit of a pest but they are beautiful in flight.

There's a flock of green and blue parrots fly around Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria, if your sat outside pubs on the high street you can see them flying around at fairly low level.

Alas, for me nothing more than a pair of herons in a field seen from the Ely to Cambridge train this morning.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #4222 on: 22 December, 2015, 12:22:57 pm »

Bloody things. They tend to make a right racket at sunrise- less of an issue at the moment but a right pain in the summer.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4223 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:35:34 pm »
A crow, having a bath in a puddle in a field.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4224 on: 23 December, 2015, 01:06:25 pm »
Two different woodpecker species in the park this morning. Also, a goldfinch.

In addition, on looking in the pool just where the orange pipe drains water out of the lake, a relatively large fish zoomed past where I normally only see roach. I glimpsed its rear half and some mottling. I suspect some joker has caught a smallish (about 4lb) specimen of esox lucius and taken it out of the main lake and bunged it in the pool.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.