Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018300 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #4225 on: 23 December, 2015, 03:34:02 pm »
on a route around Ludlow / Church Stretton, female sparrowhawk zipping along just above surface road, bullfinches and goldfinches in hedgerows, blackbird singing; back at home a marsh tit on bird feeder and finally whilst checking my mole traps (unsuccessful for several weeks now with Mr super elusive mole) snout of mole excavating around a trap I`d set yesterday  :demon: :demon: It is now real mole war.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4226 on: 23 December, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »
A shotgun, a torch and a rotating chair  :demon: ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4227 on: 23 December, 2015, 08:28:07 pm »
A small black kitten, looking much like Zev did when we caught her, on the road round the corner from here.   :(

Presumably some combination of underweight or a very late litter.

They ran down a ginnel before I could get closer.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4228 on: 23 December, 2015, 11:00:47 pm »
A whole gaggle of geese grazing in a field before they toddled off to Welney for the overnighting, plus a few pheasants heard.

No hares, but I suspect I was at the wrong time of day for that route
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4229 on: 24 December, 2015, 11:13:10 am »
A small black kitten, looking much like Zev did when we caught her, on the road round the corner from here.   :(

Kim, have you tried enquiring with your local Cats Protection branch to see if they do feral trapping?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4230 on: 24 December, 2015, 02:24:56 pm »
Large flocks fieldfare and redwing in the apple orchards around Eardisland / Broxwood Herefordshire
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4231 on: 24 December, 2015, 02:33:31 pm »

Kim, have you tried enquiring with your local Cats Protection branch to see if they do feral trapping?

Not since Zev, and at the time their line was basically "if you can catch them, we'll pay for neutering", so I'm not optimistic.  If I see them again I'll try to use my cat coaxing superpowers, but it's a relatively busy area with motor traffic and random pedestrians making it hard to approach timid cats.

TBH, I suspect the writing's on the wall for the feral cat population of Silly Oak now we have wheeliebins.  Scavenging is always limited outside of term time, but if there's a big reduction in vermin I expect the cats will move elsewhere.

« Reply #4232 on: 24 December, 2015, 04:41:10 pm »
A sparrowhawk in our back garden - we've not put feeders up yet as the weather is so warm there are plenty of bugs about, but our neighbours have.

Spotted by my wife and snapped through the back bedroom window.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4233 on: 24 December, 2015, 05:25:32 pm »
Nice pic!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4234 on: 24 December, 2015, 08:30:16 pm »
How do you load images?  I looked it up and it seems you need your own website?  Got a super shot of a barn owl just waiting......

« Reply #4235 on: 24 December, 2015, 08:38:58 pm »
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #4236 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:38:53 pm »
How do you load images?  I looked it up and it seems you need your own website?  Got a super shot of a barn owl just waiting......

Upload to photobucket (in my case) and use the "img" share link.

« Reply #4237 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:39:33 pm »
Nice pic!

Thanks -helped by some first rate Olympus glass!

« Reply #4238 on: 26 December, 2015, 09:55:03 am »
And today, across the road on a neighbours roof, a kestrel taking a break in the strong winds.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4239 on: 26 December, 2015, 10:51:43 pm »
A couple of red kites hovering over the A1 whilst I was driving home today, around Peterborough-ish
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4240 on: 27 December, 2015, 03:04:34 pm »
And today, across the road on a neighbours roof, a kestrel taking a break in the strong winds.

And again today..

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4241 on: 27 December, 2015, 08:02:28 pm »
A ginger cat chasing a fox - they crossed the road three times in front of me before the cat let the fox go!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4242 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:46:58 pm »
a seven spot ladybird  ;D (and it was alive too ! ) and a lot of something nearly as rare SUNSHINE !!!!!!! I think only third day of sunshine this month  :o

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4243 on: 29 December, 2015, 02:23:04 pm »
We saw a sparrowhawk with something in it's claws! Unfortunately a magpie came and moved it on before we could get a good look at it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4244 on: 29 December, 2015, 03:00:22 pm »
We saw a sparrowhawk with something in it's claws! Unfortunately a magpie came and moved it on before we could get a good look at it.

And buzzards, goldeneyes, wren, teal, moorhens, goosander, grey heron, little grebes.

« Reply #4245 on: 29 December, 2015, 03:18:39 pm »
5 Greyhen (female black grouse) on the trees just over the river from my window.
And a heron.  And a moorhen bossing a pheasant.

fuzzy

« Reply #4246 on: 30 December, 2015, 09:41:04 pm »
My Boxing Day spot was a healthy looking urban fox doing the 100m plus dash the full length of the County Ground pitch, up the terracing behind and away through the fencing helped along by chants of 'Sign him up!".

Turned out to be the highlight of the game for us ::-)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4247 on: 31 December, 2015, 09:21:06 am »
A mouse trotting the whole length of Bondgate in Darlington on the pavement.

Bondgate is a major throughfare in Darlington town centre.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4248 on: 31 December, 2015, 10:11:39 am »
The sparrowhawk again, this time actually chasing a sparrow! It missed, but my, it's agile. Plus the usual - collared doves, wood pigeons, cock pheasant, rook, magpie, chaffinches, blue tits and a squirrel.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4249 on: 31 December, 2015, 10:29:47 am »
A mouse trotting the whole length of Bondgate in Darlington on the pavement.

Bondgate is a major throughfare in Darlington town centre.

Was it

(click to show/hide)

Yes, that's mine, over there. The red one with the white fur trim and the big-buckled belt.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.