Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018296 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #4350 on: 27 February, 2016, 02:04:24 pm »
Blackcap, on feeder in the garden.

well seen must be Summer then !!!

There are reports of overwintering blackcaps recently. The only time we've seen them in our garden has been in winter.
out today on a very cold 40 miler; on River Teme near Brampton Shropshire delightful to see pair dippers bobbing to each other in a display and male singing a lovely cheerful song  :thumbsup:  earlier a flock of about 10 brilliantly yellow male yellowhammers on hedgerows
Yellowhammers. Nice. I occasionally hear them round here but never seen one. We did get good views down near the coast in Dorset last summer.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4351 on: 28 February, 2016, 05:04:05 pm »
A pair of grey wagtails in the stream bed. I saw them yesterday as well.

Not seen by me, and not today, but last week there were twitchers in the park hoping to see a firecrest. One chap with a hugely expensive DSLR and long lens showed me a photo he had taken of it. I might be able to tell a firecrest from a goldcrest if they were kind enough to sit side by side on a branch in front of me for a few seconds, but otherwise I doubt it. I just assume that everything I see of that ilk is a goldcrest.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4352 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:04:19 pm »
Wol  :D

IMG_3699_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_3701_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #4353 on: 29 February, 2016, 06:45:12 am »
very nice short eared owl (or is it long eared?) great picture  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4354 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:16:34 pm »
A pair of grey wagtails in the stream bed. I saw them yesterday as well.

Not seen by me, and not today, but last week there were twitchers in the park hoping to see a firecrest. One chap with a hugely expensive DSLR and long lens showed me a photo he had taken of it. I might be able to tell a firecrest from a goldcrest if they were kind enough to sit side by side on a branch in front of me for a few seconds, but otherwise I doubt it. I just assume that everything I see of that ilk is a goldcrest.

We had a firecrest living in a little wicker "nestbox" on the front of our house a couple of years ago.  I did manage one not very impressive pic of it.

Tiny, tiny little thing.
Wombat

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4355 on: 29 February, 2016, 01:41:46 pm »
Three deer inna a field hard by the Balcombe Road. All of 200m from Steph's gaff.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #4356 on: 29 February, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »
Blackcap, on feeder in the garden.

well seen must be Summer then !!!

There are reports of overwintering blackcaps recently. The only time we've seen them in our garden has been in winter.
out today on a very cold 40 miler; on River Teme near Brampton Shropshire delightful to see pair dippers bobbing to each other in a display and male singing a lovely cheerful song  :thumbsup:  earlier a flock of about 10 brilliantly yellow male yellowhammers on hedgerows
Yellowhammers. Nice. I occasionally hear them round here but never seen one. We did get good views down near the coast in Dorset last summer.

We had an overwintering female blackcap in our garden 3 years ago, so some certainly stay.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4357 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »
very nice short eared owl (or is it long eared?) great picture  :thumbsup:

Ta. SEO, I believe.

« Reply #4358 on: 02 March, 2016, 01:45:50 pm »
 (On second day of Spring  ::-) )  Hergest Ridge, Herefordshire c 10 golden plovers blown like leaves on a gale wind during heavy snow storm `twas a tad chilly up there @ 400m asl this morning but quite vitalising  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

essexian

« Reply #4359 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:21:24 am »
Never seen an all white one before:

2016-03-03_10-08-22 by essexian, on Flickr

2016-03-03_10-08-07 by essexian, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4360 on: 03 March, 2016, 02:07:56 pm »
That's the one that has to sleep at the bottom of the roost.

« Reply #4361 on: 05 March, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »
A heron in the field behind our house.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4362 on: 06 March, 2016, 01:04:32 pm »
A pair of greenfinches on our bird feeders. They have been absent from the garden for a couple of years. There was a disease going round which really affected their numbers. So seeing two together is really good news.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4363 on: 06 March, 2016, 02:14:16 pm »
A greater spotted woodpecker. Unusually this one has mastered the art of perching on the squirrel-buster sunflower heart feeder.  It used to go on the peanut feeder but I've had to cage that too to stop squirrels wrecking it. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4364 on: 06 March, 2016, 09:23:21 pm »
A panorama of pinnipeds:
newburgh_seals_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4365 on: 12 March, 2016, 07:53:56 am »
Brighter mornings and more birdlife, on bird table as well as chaffinch, blue tit, house sparrow a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Goldcrest foraging in witch hazel bush and greenfinches calling in garden, several about this year which is nice  :thumbsup:

pair of Red kites and a pair of ravens in woodland adjoining garden

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4366 on: 12 March, 2016, 03:45:58 pm »
A road kill pheasant.  In Bournville.   ???

https://twitter.com/BasilW/status/708675893502332929
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4367 on: 12 March, 2016, 05:28:55 pm »

« Reply #4368 on: 12 March, 2016, 05:37:38 pm »
4 buzzards over Maidenhead riverside the till one buzzard off leaving 3  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4369 on: 12 March, 2016, 06:01:57 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4370 on: 12 March, 2016, 06:32:11 pm »
Maybe it fell off the front of a wankpanzer?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4371 on: 12 March, 2016, 07:22:03 pm »

Ah yes.  I remember seeing something similar at Mordor Central.  A pheasant lying in the middle of the track at platform 10.  We figured that it must have been splatted by a train somewhere between Tamworth and MC, but only fell off when the train came to a halt in Brum.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4372 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:00:09 pm »

Ah yes.  I remember seeing something similar at Mordor Central.  A pheasant lying in the middle of the track at platform 10.  We figured that it must have been splatted by a train somewhere between Tamworth and MC, but only fell off when the train came to a halt in Brum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-35763067

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4373 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:04:51 pm »
Blimey.  I guess the Aberdeen pheasants  :demon: are seriously harder than yer average Brummie pheasant  :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4374 on: 12 March, 2016, 08:34:02 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-35763067

I was on a train (interestingly, between Tamworth and Mordor Central) that had a similar collision with a pigeon.  Somehow it managed to hit just the right part of the thingybob to vent the brake circuit, causing full emergency braking to be applied.  After a while the driver - having presumably got out to have a look - came back on the PA and announced that he'd managed to extract most of the pigeon and reset the thingybob, and we'd be on our way once the system had managed to build up enough pressure.  And there was much rejoicing.