Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018820 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Seen today
« Reply #4400 on: 21 March, 2016, 01:36:16 pm »
A kite whilst audaxing at the weekend
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #4401 on: 21 March, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »
A friend's response to grumpeh munkeh: "It's Ron Perlman!"

;D

« Reply #4402 on: 21 March, 2016, 05:05:37 pm »
Well...seen Saturday while out on my bike....this little fella come and sat 2 feet from my head....

AdobeLightroom by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

« Reply #4403 on: 21 March, 2016, 05:07:12 pm »
and later.....saw this egret (have clearer pictures but like the blurry one!)..... in a flooded field somewhere near Shugborough

IMG_20160320_130717.jpg by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

« Reply #4404 on: 21 March, 2016, 05:29:09 pm »
a patchily pied blackbird, had white mottling on head and shoulders. Also 2 grey wagtails and about a hundred fieldfare
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4405 on: 21 March, 2016, 05:38:59 pm »
Yesterday, a Cetti's warbler. Often heard but very seldom seen.  But we got very good views of this one.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4406 on: 21 March, 2016, 06:39:24 pm »
A mayhem of moorhens on the Medway.

Returning from grandson's play group this morning, we crossed a pedestrian bridge and watched what we assumed to be two pairs squaring up to each other. A fight broke out in which one half of each pair leaned back in the water and scrabbled at each other with their claws. I assumed these to be the males, but part way throught one of the presumed females waded in, her partner backed off, and she seemed to be trying to drown her adversary. Eventually the said adversary beat a retreat and went off to lick his/her wounds.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4407 on: 22 March, 2016, 07:50:52 pm »
Pleasant to see a long tailed tit in Bramley apple tree outside kitchen window; went to fetch camera, it had gone by time got back !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4408 on: 24 March, 2016, 02:53:09 pm »
Early this morning had enjoyable ten minutes watching a treecreeper creeping all over the big stonewall at back of the garden, obviously forgot it was meant to be creeping around trees not walls !!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4409 on: 24 March, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »
It wasn't a wall creeper then?!  ;D

My trip to the park was pretty disappointing. There were lots of wrens singing which was very good, but I didn't hear a chiffchaff, which I thought I might, and the only other bird I heard singing was a blackbird. The water was too turbid for me to be able to see any fish.

« Reply #4410 on: 25 March, 2016, 02:40:39 pm »
Today; 2 chiffchaffs singing near Bucknell and 1 singing below Ludlow Castle; wonderful warm spring like sunny day too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4411 on: 27 March, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
A greater spotted woodpecker, on one of the bird feeders.  Unusually, it was perched on the sunflower heart feeder rather than the nut/suet pellet one.  The latter extends down, so the tail can be used for bracing as if in a tree, whereas the former just has perching bars.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4412 on: 27 March, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »
Didn't actually see any as I forgot to bring my binocolars but we heard several curlew this morning whilst walking in Farndale. Daffs not really out yet though next weekend should be good.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4413 on: 28 March, 2016, 03:38:58 pm »
Rock Pipet.   :D

Hopping around the cliffs on our beach walk today.  I had no idea what it was at time and it took me two bird books and half an hour to identify it when we got home.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4414 on: 28 March, 2016, 06:15:07 pm »
A pair of buzzards mating in dead oak tree in field opposite house

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4415 on: 30 March, 2016, 05:58:44 pm »
A buzzard, a kestrel, a load more frogspawn, some toadspawn and some croaking frogs (heard). All in or from my brother's garden, where we were sitting outside drinking tea.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4416 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:36:23 pm »
Forgot to mention a red kite on Monday.

« Reply #4417 on: 31 March, 2016, 05:44:36 pm »
A pair of Lapwings are starting to nest in the field across from the house. The skylark is singing too.

It's been a lovely sound compared to the drilling next door. Summer is on the horizon.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4418 on: 31 March, 2016, 08:38:31 pm »
A Jay near Cookham the this afternoon :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4419 on: 31 March, 2016, 08:48:15 pm »
Two Ospreys sitting in the top of a tree near Llandildoes.

« Reply #4420 on: 31 March, 2016, 09:20:53 pm »
Two Ospreys sitting in the top of a tree near Llandildoes.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I`d heard last year that Ospreys were around Clwydeog. Well spotted 

« Reply #4421 on: 31 March, 2016, 09:46:45 pm »
They've built platforms to encourage them to nest. Seems to be working.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4422 on: 01 April, 2016, 06:01:00 pm »
These things.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4423 on: 01 April, 2016, 07:08:48 pm »
These things.

don`t seem to see anything apart from 4 XXXX !!!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4424 on: 02 April, 2016, 05:55:20 am »
Is the top one a nutria?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk