Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018511 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Seen today
« Reply #4475 on: 19 April, 2016, 09:08:50 pm »
Male ring ouzel at my local country park, taking the camera tomorrow!!

They're cleverer than that, Bumper!  Just like the bloody swans who I've been trying to catch in the act of taking off, for a couple of years.  They have camera detectors built in...
Wombat

« Reply #4476 on: 19 April, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »

They're cleverer than that, Bumper!  Just like the bloody swans who I've been trying to catch in the act of taking off, for a couple of years.  They have camera detectors built in...

I can dream  :P

there's a se owl knocking about too over the local void, bet that doesn't show either. Saw them both today whilst walking the dog.

I may give the camera to the dog  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4477 on: 20 April, 2016, 08:02:15 am »
You will end up with lots of photos of trees and lampposts  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4478 on: 20 April, 2016, 09:04:00 am »
You will end up with lots of photos of trees and lampposts  ;D

;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4479 on: 20 April, 2016, 09:07:50 am »
This morning I saw a Kestrel hovering over the nature area left after the new estate was built.

It makes a very nice change from the daily sightings of Shite Hawks to use the victorian name for Red kites.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4480 on: 20 April, 2016, 06:28:07 pm »
Swallows!

« Reply #4481 on: 20 April, 2016, 06:29:12 pm »

bugger............. no sign of it.

« Reply #4482 on: 24 April, 2016, 11:20:44 am »
Lesser spotted woodpecker on the peanut feeder, a male kestrel quartering the neighbouring fields, and a heron perched on the roof of our neighbors shed. The last is fairly unusual, we're about 800m front the canal where we usually see them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4483 on: 24 April, 2016, 03:02:29 pm »

Like all diving birds have bino/telescope detectors built in. Just as you get lined up on one, and before you can fine-focus...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #4484 on: 24 April, 2016, 05:36:24 pm »
I saw a red squirrel beside the A593 this afternoon. Just north of the little langdale turn it was sat on the d eg y stone wall until I got too close and it went into the tree. Only my second ever spotting, and at least this one was in no danger of me running it over.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4485 on: 25 April, 2016, 10:32:15 pm »
On Saturday at MOSI, Manchester: a kestrel doing a poop then flying off with a prey item in its beak.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4486 on: 26 April, 2016, 10:12:47 pm »
I saw a red squirrel beside the A593 this afternoon. Just north of the little langdale turn it was sat on the d eg y stone wall until I got too close and it went into the tree. Only my second ever spotting, and at least this one was in no danger of me running it over.
I have one in the lab freezer that unfortunately was not able to get away from a car fast enough.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4487 on: 27 April, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »
A blackbird sitting dead still in the middle of the lane I was riding in. It watched me as I went by about 3' away, and didn't budge when a truck went by in the opposite direction.  I got off and went back with the idea of at least moving it off the road, but when I reached down for it, it flew away.

I reckon it was either knackered from evading a predator or had been stunned by a collision with a vehicle.  Apart from staying still it looked fine, and it flew off sharpish enough.

Later, half-a-dozen starlings in the neighbour's garden. Starlings are very infrequent visitors here - we see a group every four or five years, usually on a brief stop on their way somewhere else.  Remembering the teeming thousands we used to get in Norn Iron - and the racket they used to make - it seems funny, now, to be chuffed at seeing a few like this.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4488 on: 27 April, 2016, 05:09:50 pm »
A fox on Sunday. First daytime rural fox I've ever seen, I think. Sarah notp chased it – it got away, but we'll get her a red coat for next time!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4489 on: 28 April, 2016, 12:01:31 pm »
A greenfinch.  As a kid we used to have dozens of them in the garden in Sussex, but I've seen very few in recent years here in Bucks.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4490 on: 28 April, 2016, 07:07:05 pm »
A greenfinch.  As a kid we used to have dozens of them in the garden in Sussex, but I've seen very few in recent years here in Bucks.

IIRC Greenfinch numbers have declined nationally due to disease http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/disease/trichomonosis;

however lucky here as we have several around the garden and at least a pair bred last year  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4491 on: 28 April, 2016, 10:04:06 pm »
About 10 years ago I recall taking the dog to the park one January afternoon just around sunset. A huge flock of finches, mostly greenfinches, I think, came and roosted in the tree tops. I did a quick estimate of how many there were, and I reckon it was at least 500. A sparrowhawk was patrolling around and a few of the finches peeled off and saw the sparrowhawk off.

I can't say I have seen many greenfinches recently, nor heard their call (they always remind me of Jeremy Paxman).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4492 on: 28 April, 2016, 10:12:47 pm »

Iced alpaca or frosted llama (I don't know which, I'm not a baker)

« Reply #4493 on: 28 April, 2016, 11:14:01 pm »
On the regular Reading CTC Wednesday evening pub ride, near Wargrave manor: a fox crossing the road, which stopped to stare as we approached. When we got close it decided to resume its previous activity, & trotted off. I was rather surprised at how long it stood watching us ride towards it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuzzy

« Reply #4494 on: 29 April, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »

Iced alpaca or frosted llama (I don't know which, I'm not a baker)

Where was that sighting Nuncio?

« Reply #4495 on: 29 April, 2016, 06:49:36 pm »
nice view of a large Stoat (definitely as black tail tip) in country lane before it dived back into the hedge
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4496 on: 29 April, 2016, 07:09:53 pm »
Nothing much of note today other than a cuckoo. I didn't hear one, so it wasn't of note at all, I just saw it as it zoomed past.

« Reply #4497 on: 29 April, 2016, 09:59:01 pm »
Nothing much of note today other than a cuckoo. I didn't hear one, so it wasn't of note at all, I just saw it as it zoomed past.
I would doubtless have just (pp) noted it as just an unidentified falcon ;) .

Meanwhile, yesterday we saw 3 or 4 swallows flying low over the lake at Packwood House. Were they re-fuelling on a journey to more northern parts?

And today, heard, but not seen, a chiffchaff that had ornamented the usual repeated spiccato two note motif into a two-plus-a-triplet-in-between repetition. I'm used to (and entertained by) great tits doing very creative things with their songs, but have never heard a chiffchaff at it. Is it unusual?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4498 on: 30 April, 2016, 12:46:34 am »
I have noticed chiffchaffs singing in 6/8 time rather than the more usual 2/4.

I wonder why it is that in some areas willow warblers are to be heard everywhere when in others it is chiffchaffs. A couple of weeks ago, in Cumbria, Mrs. Wow and I heard no chiffchaffs but instead wall-to-wall willow warblers. To the uninitiated:

Willow warbler

Chiffchaff

There is scarcely any difference between them, apart form their song.

« Reply #4499 on: 30 April, 2016, 06:46:56 am »
Found along tailed tit nest this morning, 12 inches from the trail I was on!
It was full of chicks, I heard the chirping but none popped through the ball of moss and made an appearance.

This is only the second time in my life I've found one of these, amazing structures.