Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018834 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Seen today
« Reply #4500 on: 30 April, 2016, 04:20:03 pm »
A stweasel, running across the road in front of me when I was on m'bike. 
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4501 on: 01 May, 2016, 01:46:43 am »
Possibly a marsh harrier. It was close to some wetlands.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4502 on: 01 May, 2016, 01:27:52 pm »
Two hares in separate places, a kestrel flying overhead, and lots of other birds heard but not identified in a wood where the birdsong and bluebells were so beautiful I just had to stop and admire for a couple of minutes, even though it was a steep hill (and I hate stopping on hills!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4503 on: 03 May, 2016, 01:19:47 pm »
Found this male Blackcap dead in the garden today. They've only been coming into the garden recently, it probably had a nest somewhere  :(

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4504 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:14:39 pm »
Oh what a shame  :(

I saw a dead hatchling in the road today.  I reckon it was probly dropped by a crow or somesuch.  Also, a skinned badger.

In better news:  a bunny, a wren, lapwings dancing, cowslips, primroses, bluebells.  And I heard lots of birds, including a curlew.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4505 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:33:44 pm »
Oh what a shame  :(

indeed Ruthie :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4506 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:25:08 pm »
lots of wagtails, chaffinches and robins in the garden this year.

Also saw my first barn-owl of the year while driving home today.

Plus something big that was not a kite yesterday
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4507 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:37:25 am »
Female Sparrowhawk popped thro` gateway right in front of me and glided / flew 6" above road surface, 10 yd in front of me for a few hundred yards before heading off into a field. Very cunning hunter as kept in shade of hedge along road edge to avoid being seen by LBJs
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4508 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:33:13 pm »
This fox popped out in front of me on my way back home tonight. It was fairly dark and I didn't have a chance to get my camera set for any more shots, it zoomed off into the undergrowth.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4509 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:27:58 pm »
First swifts of the year today, screaming above Stanford le Hope.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

fuzzy

« Reply #4510 on: 05 May, 2016, 02:17:33 pm »
A dead fox cub at the side of the road as I rode in this morning.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4511 on: 05 May, 2016, 07:18:48 pm »
Spent a pleasant 10 minutes in the sun watching dolphins and terns and getting buzzed by sand martins  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4512 on: 05 May, 2016, 07:36:06 pm »
Spent a pleasant 10 minutes in the sun watching dolphins and terns and getting buzzed by sand martins  :thumbsup:

that sounds absolutely idyllic  :thumbsup:, wherebe you located for those joys ??
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4513 on: 05 May, 2016, 07:39:58 pm »

that sounds absolutely idyllic  :thumbsup:, wherebe you located for those joys ??

It was 5 minutes walk from my work in FurryBootToon*.

*Aberdeen

« Reply #4514 on: 05 May, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »
Sparrow hawk on our fence. Maybe the first time I've seen one actually in our garden; certainly the best view of one.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4515 on: 06 May, 2016, 05:14:23 pm »
Batman - a very bold robin who is quite happy hopping about 6 inches in front of the dog's nose, has for some time been seen flitting in and out of the garage (whose door gapes open somewhat)  We finally found out why - he's been 'recycling' an old bike helmet as the basis for a nest.
Spotted today - eggs therein:

« Reply #4516 on: 06 May, 2016, 07:27:15 pm »
Batman - a very bold robin who is quite happy hopping about 6 inches in front of the dog's nose, has for some time been seen flitting in and out of the garage (whose door gapes open somewhat)  We finally found out why - he's been 'recycling' an old bike helmet as the basis for a nest.
Spotted today - eggs therein:

excellent, make sure you remove eggs before donning helmet  ;D ;D

« Reply #4517 on: 06 May, 2016, 07:31:55 pm »
The first swallow of the year, here in south Bucks. Wonderful
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4518 on: 07 May, 2016, 05:45:31 pm »
And the first of the wisteria flowers opening. Spring is finally here.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4519 on: 07 May, 2016, 08:05:49 pm »

IMG_4119_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4520 on: 07 May, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »
Thursday morning, 0730, as I rode back from work along the Balcombe Road, just by the M23 spur flyover: singing Cetti's warbler!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #4521 on: 08 May, 2016, 07:48:24 pm »
A pair of geese followed by their goslings (not hatchlings) walked across the road in front of me this morning at Carron valley. Dont know what kind, but beautiful. Cuckoo calling as I was struggling over north 3rd road.

« Reply #4522 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:33:13 pm »
Last night, as I went to close the bedroom window at some point in the night, a hare, sat in the middle of the road outside the house. Soon shot off when it heard me.

« Reply #4523 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:10:08 am »
Heard and seen every day, a blackbird mimicking a great tit.

If a great tit sounds like a 5 year old girl saying tea-cher, tea-cher, tea-cher. The blackbird is the Barry White equivalent. The little **** wakes me up every morning sitting on my roof rattling off every 20 seconds.

« Reply #4524 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:05:19 am »
First hedgehog of the year on our lawn two nights running now. Alerted to it by Tilly who was running in circles round it barking like mad (hedgehogs are on the list of very dangerous things that might murder us all in our beds if she doesn't warn us apparently). The hedgehog seemed completely unfazed by the dog.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.