Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018222 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #4550 on: 31 May, 2016, 07:35:43 pm »
A deer, not sure what kind, trying and failing to jump the fence from the car park into the playing fields of the local Junior school.

The school's emblem ?
(click to show/hide)

Stupid creature - evidently didn't realise it was half term week !

« Reply #4551 on: 31 May, 2016, 07:40:43 pm »
Right outside window, on rosebush a male redstart  :thumbsup: Great view of a lovely Summer visitor
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4552 on: 31 May, 2016, 09:12:03 pm »
A deer, not sure what kind, trying and failing to jump the fence from the car park into the playing fields of the local Junior school.

The school's emblem ?
(click to show/hide)

Stupid creature - evidently didn't realise it was half term week !

But you don't live round here, where there are Roe Green and Stag Lane schools but no school named Buck Lane...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4553 on: 01 June, 2016, 05:24:13 pm »
Dolphin very close to the office this afternoon.

« Reply #4554 on: 01 June, 2016, 06:11:14 pm »
On Farthing Down: cows with hi-viz ankle bands.  ::-)

mcshroom may have got a picture.

Dairy or beef?
We marked our dairy cows with ankle bands if their milk wasn't for human consumption (too colostrum-my/ full of antibiotics). It was never hi-viz though. Just red/ yellow/ blue tape.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4555 on: 01 June, 2016, 07:29:31 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4556 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:28:18 pm »
A Muntjack deer crossing the road this morning.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4557 on: 04 June, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »
Skylarks - hope the silage grass is left uncut long enough for the chicks to fledge - and a buzzard. Also a lapwing.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4558 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:55:49 pm »
Some very impressive birds of prey at the village fete today, my favourites though is always the kestrel
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4559 on: 05 June, 2016, 01:06:03 pm »
Red Sqrl near Byrness.

Sadly it was flat.  :'(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4560 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:28:39 pm »
Red kite, over the woods out the back of our house - not as rare as a red squirrel, but certainly not a common sighting in East Kent. However, someone I know locally posted a pic on twitter of one seen in the centre of Canterbury recently, so either it's the same one or they're moving into the area.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4561 on: 07 June, 2016, 10:04:02 am »
Two hares in fields near the Severn Estuary.

« Reply #4562 on: 09 June, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »
I have noticed chiffchaffs singing in 6/8 time rather than the more usual 2/4.

This morning I arrived at work ( ;) ;D) early. In between the song thrushes I heard a chiffchaff singing in 3/4 time, at a somewhat slower tempo than a Viennese waltz. The song was phrased, but while I was listening to the phrase structure I was distracted by a swallow hawking for the plentiful insects just above the long grass. The aircraft coming in to land at Elmdon may have contributed to my loss of focus, though it's evident that the wildlife has adapted.

At lunch our leader found time between/through his hay-fever debilities to mention a spotted orchid he'd seen last week. To cut a long story short, there were 2, about a couple of metres apart. One was heath spotted (had been provisionally identified, but not recorded on the site for about 3 years & a Warwickshire rarity). The other was a comon spotted orchid; I don't know if any had been previously recorded there. Later after noon, we found 2 substantial clusters of the heath spotted species, which looked like a sustainable population.

At the end of our day, as I stripped off sweat-soaked layers before riding home, I was attacked by a horde of voracious horseflies, not normal on that reserve, but... we've had a mild, wet winter.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4563 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:20:12 am »
A great white egret the other day on a Wiltshire pond. It didn't look 'great' to me but it did have a yellow beak.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4564 on: 14 June, 2016, 06:02:13 pm »
Blackcap singing each time I pass the Courtyard at Gatwick. Today, yet again from my armchair, female marsh harrier flying west and being mobbed by crows.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #4565 on: 14 June, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »
I'm pretty certain we have a herring gull which has not only nested but produced three chicks on the atrium roof at work.
I suppose it's not that dissimilar to a cliff ledge.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4566 on: 14 June, 2016, 06:47:07 pm »
Yesterday at lunch time in garden, 1 x Spotted Flycatcher and by looks of it breeding in hazel tree very close by  :thumbsup:

IMG_1107 by jamesld8, on Flickr
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Steph

« Reply #4567 on: 14 June, 2016, 08:15:52 pm »
Nice pic!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4568 on: 15 June, 2016, 09:38:54 am »
Lovely picture! We had a nesting pair every year in our local park, until one November the ignoramuses at the council decided to "prune" the evergreens where the flycatchers nested. They haven't been back.

Last week, whilst camping at Honfleur, I think I heard more varied birdsong than in any campsite I have been to. Apart from the usual wrens, blackbirds, chiffchaffs, goldcrests and thrushes, there was a Cetti's warbler and a cuckoo. It didn't surprise me that the warbler kept going every so often throughout the night, but it did that the cuckoo started up at 3am at point blank range. It was so close to our tents that I could hear its "throat-clearing" call and it cuckooed 3 or 4 times before realising that it was pitch black and time to go to sleep.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Steph

« Reply #4569 on: 15 June, 2016, 09:42:05 pm »
I was camped by a dune slack in Belgium once, and there were warblers galore, including Savi's and grasshopper, visible as they sang. In eastern Hungary, I am still amused about being annoyed at being woken every morning by a dawn chorus of golden orioles!

« Reply #4570 on: 17 June, 2016, 11:50:14 am »
New for us, (in leafy Bucks close to Aylesbury-but not tooo close you understand...)  buzzards.  And yesterday a sparrowhawk chasing some swifts.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4571 on: 17 June, 2016, 12:27:23 pm »
Buzzard here this morning, too.  10 years ago they were very common and wouldn't be worth a mention , but the red kites are so successful now that the buzzards seem to be struggling.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4572 on: 18 June, 2016, 01:24:57 pm »
Hedgehog poo  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4573 on: 18 June, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »
Buzzard here this morning, too.  10 years ago they were very common and wouldn't be worth a mention , but the red kites are so successful now that the buzzards seem to be struggling.

that`s interesting---buzzards here (Welsh Borders / Presteigne ) are really common , sometimes as many as 20 in a freshly ploughed field; yet red kites have made significant increases in population too, 10 years ago notable to see one, now they`re common (pair breeds in woods back of our garden  :thumbsup: ) and they`ve spread well into Herefordshire / Shropshire. What has decreased are kestrel numbers, uncommon to see them around here, just one or two about

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4574 on: 20 June, 2016, 12:53:12 pm »
A crow, eating a packet of crisps.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.