Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018992 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #4775 on: 14 January, 2017, 11:24:16 am »
On this morning's dog empty, I spotted what appeared to be a black heron? flying along the river, being either pursued or followed by a normally marked heron.

I've googled 'Black Heron'.  Such a thing exist, but in South Efrica, so it wasn't one of those.  Maybe it was just a heron that was black.   ???

Basil, possibly a cormorant?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4776 on: 14 January, 2017, 12:37:54 pm »
On this morning's dog empty, I spotted what appeared to be a black heron? flying along the river, being either pursued or followed by a normally marked heron.

I've googled 'Black Heron'.  Such a thing exist, but in South Efrica, so it wasn't one of those.  Maybe it was just a heron that was black.   ???

Do they come inland?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4777 on: 14 January, 2017, 12:45:24 pm »
I reckon I have seen one in Leicestershire.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4778 on: 14 January, 2017, 03:34:50 pm »
Cormorants definitely come inland, they hang around lakes annoying fishermen.  A bit smaller than a heron.

I saw what I think was a bittern today, first time.  Was standing by the side of the road next to one of the ditches along the A10.  Brown, vertically striped chest/neck, long sharp beak and a bit smaller than a heron.  My bird book suggests bittern.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4779 on: 15 January, 2017, 12:47:49 am »

Do they come inland?

Absolutely!  Round here (near Rochdale, about 40 miles from the nearest coast) they are getting to be inland birds which occasionally go to the seaside - like Canada Geese, which never go anywhere, especially Canada!

« Reply #4780 on: 15 January, 2017, 08:36:13 am »
Yes cormorants have recently (last few years) been getting commoner inland; at Llandrindod Wells lake (about 40 miles inland) up to 7 have been present last year; they are also on River Wye and other lakes around here. Used to be a real rarity inland but as with many bird behaviours they change  to seize opportunities.
 It`s behaviour similar to that of Blue Tits pecking milk bottle tops (in gone by days of milk bottles on doorsteps) ie they`ve found an easy source of food and they quickly adapt
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4781 on: 15 January, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »
A flock of alpine choughs anna raven! :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4782 on: 15 January, 2017, 03:30:55 pm »
Cormorants definitely come inland, they hang around lakes annoying fishermen.  A bit smaller than a heron.

I saw what I think was a bittern today, first time.  Was standing by the side of the road next to one of the ditches along the A10.  Brown, vertically striped chest/neck, long sharp beak and a bit smaller than a heron.  My bird book suggests bittern.
The flight is distinctive, very different to a grey heron's. Herons lumber, with slightly arched and raptor[like wings. Bitterns have more rounded wings, and 'float', very like an owl.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4783 on: 15 January, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »
I think you've confused two separate sightings there Steph.

ElyDave

« Reply #4784 on: 15 January, 2017, 10:58:58 pm »

The flight is distinctive, very different to a grey heron's. Herons lumber, with slightly arched and raptor[like wings. Bitterns have more rounded wings, and 'float', very like an owl.

Yes, I'd recognise a heron in flight anyday, particulalry the head/neck position.  The bird in question was stood by the side of the drainage ditch though.

I don't think it was trying to thumb a lift  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4785 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:08:51 pm »
A flock of long-tailed tits. Normally I recognise their presence by their sound before I see them, but today they were making a different call from the normal monotonous 4-note sequence - a lot more trilling and twittering. I haven't heard those calls before.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4786 on: 17 January, 2017, 08:11:11 pm »
A dipper singing in Rock Park, Llandrindod wells not far from town centre  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4787 on: 18 January, 2017, 06:58:50 pm »
On Sunday, not one, but three harris hawks, all related to each other!

One of them landed on next door's fence post.

I should point out that I haven't come across a major hidden home of exotic birds of prey, but they were captive bred ones belonging to a family round the corner, and they were being taken out up the park for a fly.  Still lovely birds, and I think they're going to be happy for me to photograph them soon.
Wombat

« Reply #4788 on: 18 January, 2017, 08:28:29 pm »
Real live new lambs  ;D ;D

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4789 on: 19 January, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »
^
Very nice James. However, I think I can pip that.

The other night (at 2am to be exact) I was woken up by a terrific squealing, which I at first thought was a cat fight. Going downstairs into the kitchen, I found a fox there. It was by the back door, and our 3-legged 16-year-old cat was about 4ft away, sat down calmly watching it. I looked at the fox, he/she looked at me, and then lazily turned round and slowly squeezed itself back out the cat flap. This wasn't a baby fox either.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

ElyDave

« Reply #4790 on: 19 January, 2017, 04:06:03 pm »
I didn't get THAT close, but I was treated to an almighty squealing while out for a run one evening last week, coming from the adjacent hedgerow.  I just assumed my headtorch had woken something.

« Reply #4791 on: 22 January, 2017, 04:50:37 pm »
Two cranes on West Sedgemoor in Somerset.
We've been following the project to reintroduce them for years, but this is the first time we've seen them in real life.
A long way off, but very satisfying nonetheless.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4792 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:11:13 pm »
Dead porpoise at the beach at Aberaeron.   :(

A label tied to its tail read, "Do not touch.  Authorities notified".

Didn't think they were around here at this time of year.  Which is probably why it died.  Lack of food, I guess.  (Not that I actually know about this sort of thing)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4793 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »
Could've been killed by dolphins.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4794 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:44:54 pm »

There you go.  Shows how little I know on the subject.  I didn't think dolphins were around at this time of year either.

Here's a pic.

Aberaeron this morning https://t.co/ciGG6idOyd

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4795 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:50:09 pm »

There you go.  Shows how little I know on the subject.  I didn't think dolphins were around at this time of year either.

Here's a pic.

I don't know if dolphins are in that area, I'm speculating. It's just something they do.

ElyDave

« Reply #4796 on: 22 January, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »
a plethora of kestrels today, plus a heron.
Also some grumpy looking ducks skating around on one of the drainage ditches

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4797 on: 22 January, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »

Here's a pic.

I don't know if dolphins are in that area, I'm speculating. It's just something they do.
Mrs. Wow and I have seen dolphins from the promenade at Aberystwyth, but in the summer. Surprisingly large.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4798 on: 22 January, 2017, 10:44:10 pm »
I and the Mrs have seen dolphins leaping at Penbryn which is down the road a bit but 'twas in early Sept.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4799 on: 22 January, 2017, 10:47:42 pm »
Dead porpoise at the beach at Aberaeron.   :(
A label tied to its tail read, "Do not touch.  Authorities notified".
Here's a pic.
That's a common dolphin