Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018286 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #5525 on: 19 April, 2020, 05:07:30 pm »
Almost certainly little egret there.
The great whites are getting common on the Somerset levels and elsewhere in the South, but they've not been here that long so I would be surprised if they're as far north as Leicestershire yet.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5526 on: 19 April, 2020, 05:08:31 pm »
A bat against a blue sky at 16:30. That's not right  :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5527 on: 19 April, 2020, 08:23:55 pm »
Rather less dramatic than an egret, but pleased to note the wren seems to have taken up residence in our garden (or next door's) and also is almost as bold regarding humans as the robin.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5528 on: 19 April, 2020, 09:55:08 pm »
Rather less dramatic than an egret, but pleased to note the wren seems to have taken up residence in our garden (or next door's) and also is almost as bold regarding humans as the robin.

I have a couple of wrens in my garden, lovely to watch them scampering along the trellis or the bonsai
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5529 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:58:33 pm »

Saw one here at lunchtime too. No idea which type, but it wasn't tiny so i don't think it was a pipistrelle. Flitting about hunting for insects exactly like it would at twilight, but in bright sunshine.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5530 on: 21 April, 2020, 05:13:11 pm »

On three or four occasions I have seen bats flying about in broad daylight - warm, sunny days not far from midday. THe first I recall well. I was still at school, so it would have been about 50 years ago.

Not seen by me, but there have been daily reports of a hoopoe on Foulness Island.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5531 on: 21 April, 2020, 06:27:09 pm »
Not seen by me, but there have been daily reports of a hoopoe on Foulness Island.
Southend United's new goalkeeper?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerzy_Dudek
dudek means hoopoe. Bird surnames are quite common in Polish.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5532 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:00:24 pm »
Sorry, that's all beyond me I'm afraid.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5533 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:57:03 pm »

They are frequent in AUKs...

« Reply #5534 on: 26 April, 2020, 04:09:58 pm »
Today, and for the last couple of weeks, far more butterfly’s than usual, mostly small whites, small blues and especially the male orange tips. Plus the occasional comma and peacock.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5535 on: 26 April, 2020, 07:20:39 pm »
Sorry, that's all beyond me I'm afraid.
You saw a hoopoe. Jerzy Dudek = former goalkeeper for Liverpool, Read Madrid, Poland, etc. Dudek is Polish for hoopoe.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5536 on: 26 April, 2020, 07:21:25 pm »

They are frequent in AUKs...
And on tyres!

« Reply #5537 on: 08 May, 2020, 07:48:46 am »
We have new regular visors to the garden, three jackdaws. I'm a big fan of corvids in general so this is very pleasing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5538 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:33:07 am »
We have robins nesting in our letterbox so have had to put a sign on it to ask the post people to ring on the door.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Heard today
« Reply #5539 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:35:22 pm »
Something large with a deep buzz just came in my window and crash-landed in the area of the "Ignore" tray. Had a gander but didn't care to poke; the sting is probably commensurate with the size.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5540 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:44:01 pm »
One of these?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5541 on: 10 May, 2020, 08:24:13 am »
Dunno. Given the timbre of the buzz I'd say it was of that general persuasion. I left the window open and ignored it. I assume it sorted itself out and went out again.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5542 on: 11 May, 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
Just been watching a crow attack a magpie on the lawn outside my office window, while a rabbit looks on, chewing grass and looking unimpressed.

Now another magpie has turned up to get involved. A little too late to save its friend, alas.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Davef

« Reply #5543 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:18:38 pm »
Just been watching a crow attack a magpie on the lawn outside my office window, while a rabbit looks on, chewing grass and looking unimpressed.

Now another magpie has turned up to get involved. A little too late to save its friend, alas.
Thought that said cow. Time for specs. Now as unimpressed as a rabbit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citoyen

« Reply #5544 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:20:17 pm »

Thought that said cow. Time for specs. Now as unimpressed as a rabbit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shame it wasn’t a cow. That would have been amazing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5545 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:30:56 am »

Crows & ravens are thugs.  A pair of magpies come back here every year to nest in a big ash-tree in the meadow, and every year the heavy gang harrass them until they move out.  The ravens are quite entertaining otherwise, though - clever birds.

« Reply #5546 on: 17 May, 2020, 02:10:19 pm »
The first buzzards of the year. One high and circling, the other - and what attracted my attention in the first place - about 40m up and being mobbed by two crows.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5547 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:59:16 pm »
Crows & ravens are thugs.  A pair of magpies come back here every year to nest in a big ash-tree in the meadow, and every year the heavy gang harrass them until they move out.  The ravens are quite entertaining otherwise, though - clever birds.

[pedant]

Magpies are crows. There is no such thing as a "crow". Crow is a synonym for corvid. The only crows with crow actually in the name are the carrion crow (common everywhere) and the hooded crow (Scotland and Ireland only with some down the east coast in winter).

[/pedant]
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #5548 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:30:16 pm »

[pedant]

Magpies are crows. There is no such thing as a "crow". Crow is a synonym for corvid. The only crows with crow actually in the name are the carrion crow (common everywhere) and the hooded crow (Scotland and Ireland only with some down the east coast in winter).

[/pedant]

That's just silly. Yes, magpies are corvidae, and yes, corvidae are broadly speaking "the crow family", but no one actually calls magpies crows. It's only birds of the Corvus genus that have crow in their common name. Magpies are of the Pica genus.

Ravens are Corvus but are not usually called crows - except by people who can't tell the difference between Corvus corone and Corvus corax.

Jays (Garrulus) are corvidae too, but no one calls them crows either.

Also, while we're being pedantic, there are many species with crow in their common name. What you meant to say is there are only two species of crow that are common in the UK.  ;)

In most of the UK, if someone calls a bird a crow, you can safely assume that they mean a carrion crow.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5549 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:37:43 pm »
I think its more useful to say all Corvus species are crows, or "true crows". So that includes rooks and ravens, but not magpies or jays.