Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018330 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #6075 on: 16 March, 2022, 11:57:13 am »
That's great.  You normally see them coming down, or at least, I do!  They are fabulous birds and they seem much bigger than they actually are, probably because their bright colours and weird behaviour give them a "pesence".  I think in reality they are slightly smaller than a sparrow.  It's always a red letter day but we do see them in our garden in urban Rochdale.  I expect they are around most of the time but we don't seem to coincide!  Great spot!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6076 on: 16 March, 2022, 06:41:00 pm »
It's still very quiet at our feeders compared to the last Pingu Towers so I was quite excited to see 2 siskins (one of each) feeding this morning and then a bit later a flurry of tits and then a blue tit peered in one of the nest boxes.
We have become so recalibrated in terms of bird visitors that today was really quite exciting.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6077 on: 19 March, 2022, 11:34:14 am »
SQRL!!!!!1!

Not me, I'm staying in with not yet confirmed covid lurgy, Mr Smith found this in not Proper Scotland. He is considering upgrading the location descriptor to Proper Scotland on the basis of the sighting. That, and the presence of Lorne sausage in the shop.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #6078 on: 19 March, 2022, 02:52:12 pm »
Signs of a hedgehog nest at the base of the yellow bamboo - suspicious pile of bamboo sheaths and leaves with a hedgehog size hole in it.   Left it alone in case they are still using it at night.h
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6079 on: 19 March, 2022, 09:46:59 pm »
SQRL!!!!!1!

Not me, I'm staying in with not yet confirmed covid lurgy, Mr Smith found this in not Proper Scotland. He is considering upgrading the location descriptor to Proper Scotland on the basis of the sighting. That, and the presence of Lorne sausage in the shop.

Furryboots?

« Reply #6080 on: 20 March, 2022, 04:46:21 am »

Furryboots?
That's Proper Scotland. We're staying in the Stewartry for a few days.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6081 on: 20 March, 2022, 09:06:08 am »
Oh D&G

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6082 on: 20 March, 2022, 09:30:35 am »
A muntjac ran across the road in front of me yesterday. It's the first I've seen round here (NE Hampshire).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #6083 on: 20 March, 2022, 03:28:28 pm »
Heard, but not seen, a thrush on next doors new patio, opening up a snail.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #6084 on: 20 March, 2022, 08:58:52 pm »
In Richmond Park, a male Red Deer with one antler missing.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #6085 on: 22 March, 2022, 06:32:18 am »
Heard, rather than seen, a woodpecker on my aborted attempt to catch a train this morning (points failure on the ginger line <natch>).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6086 on: 23 March, 2022, 05:24:23 pm »
Red squirrel carrying a kit 🐿🐿

IMG_9690_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6087 on: 23 March, 2022, 05:41:34 pm »
Herd of Chamois grazing in avalanche debris whilst on an off-piste ski tour in Val D.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6088 on: 25 March, 2022, 12:26:58 pm »
A peacock butterfly feeding on a dandelion flower in our garden this morning.
I used to knock the heads off dandelions to stop them going to seed, but I won't be doing that any more.
And I guess the vast majority of seeds that settle in our garden are from a distance away anyway.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6089 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:57:28 am »
On the FNRTTC last weekend, somewhere near Noak Hill in darkest Essex, we'd just crawled ("scenic" route innit) past a deer warning roadsign, when a dozen or so deer popped out of the hedge on the side of the road, ambled across and vanished into the hedge on the other side.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6090 on: 28 March, 2022, 11:04:08 am »

Snakes! On a Plane!
Slow worm! In my bike store!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6091 on: 28 March, 2022, 11:30:09 am »
A peacock butterfly feeding on a dandelion flower in our garden this morning.
I used to knock the heads off dandelions to stop them going to seed, but I won't be doing that any more.
And I guess the vast majority of seeds that settle in our garden are from a distance away anyway.
A day after Basil, a peacock butterfly bouncing off my cheek. It took off from the path in front of me then doubled back for a mid-air collision. Or maybe it wanted a kiss.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6092 on: 29 March, 2022, 03:17:11 pm »
A Jackdaw, briefly seen through the shed door whilst I was on the turbo, standing on one of our compost bins.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6093 on: 29 March, 2022, 04:10:13 pm »
Buzzards, rooks, jackdaws, crows, starlings, lapwings, oyster catchers, fallow deer, and some very pretty sheep playing king of the castle on a huge pile of manure.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #6094 on: 30 March, 2022, 12:56:42 pm »
A Jay, flying across the road in front of me this morning. We have plenty of Magpies, but rarely see Jays.

« Reply #6095 on: 30 March, 2022, 04:38:01 pm »
yelllow hammers and reed buntings

« Reply #6096 on: 02 April, 2022, 09:28:12 am »
Got up this morning to see a deer sitting in the front garden. Seemed quite content there, and only left when the cat went out and started stalking it.

« Reply #6097 on: 02 April, 2022, 10:08:24 am »
A Great Spotted woodpecker on one peanut feeder, and a couple of juvenile Greenfinches on the other.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6098 on: 02 April, 2022, 03:21:20 pm »
Yesterday, at 6.50pm.

I was cycling along Rebels Lane and I had my attention attracted by blackbirds' alarm calls. I stopped and had a look round and the cause of their angst was to be seen in the branches of a good-sized oak tree. A little owl. It's years since I've seen one. It was very close to the point at which I heard a nightingale and a song thrush, and saw a slow worm, last spring/summer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6099 on: 03 April, 2022, 05:13:31 pm »
A wren, I think. A couple of years ago I put an open fronted nest box on the back of the shed, it’s about head height (it’s a small shed) and round by the water butt. Not, on reflection, the best location - it could easily have been higher and beyond the butt. Anyway, we’d noticed a nest had been built in it this year, but hadn’t seen any occupants. Until today, when I went to the compost with my failed pizza dough (the dried yeast turned out to be 6 years beyond its best before date….) and decided to have a look. And a small brown job shit out if the box about a foot in front of my face! Too small for a robin or a sparrow I think, so probably a wren. Cool. All we need now are blue tits in the other box - they missed last year.

And, whilst we do see wrens in the garden, today an altogether rarer visitor, a song thrush on our lawn, which is unusual as it’s not the wide open spaces they prefer.