Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018450 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #6300 on: 09 September, 2022, 09:21:38 pm »
If you can tolerate a wasps' nest then it's best to do so. By winter the whole lot will have died, apart from the hibernating queens, and they don't re-occupy old nests. Paper cells don't have the reusability that beeswax ones do.

Yeah they're no bother. I may have been wrong on the nest. Last weekend our hedge which has ivy in was crawling with wasps and bees

We did have one nest in our kitchen roof i had to get rid off as their exit was basically underneath my very young daughters bedroom window. When we had building work they took the empty nest out for us and was amazing

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6301 on: 10 September, 2022, 03:15:25 pm »
They are, aren't they?  When we got the one I made that gallery of we put it in the Inlaw Maw's glass cabinet in the lounge. >10 years later we still have it, but if you touch it it crumbles under your fingers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6302 on: 11 September, 2022, 12:42:46 pm »
An elephant hawk-moth larva. I didn't realise what it was as I approached it on the lawn this morning and was already rootling in my poo bag pocket.  Yes. It was huge.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6303 on: 11 September, 2022, 01:39:24 pm »
Whiplash double-take there, thinking colostomy but then I thought nah, dog.

Meanwhile with autumn drawing on I've realized that I've seen precious few lizards this year, maybe half a dozen tops.  I guess they don't like being desiccated.

« Reply #6304 on: 11 September, 2022, 07:06:45 pm »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJRZyCGHbbRe3vwN8
I saw this little fella and wondered what it is  . It is nearly the same colour as my trike  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #6306 on: 12 September, 2022, 03:06:12 pm »
Rather odd but for the last week or so have had several times a day a crow or a magpie coming and attacking my office windows. It's a ground floor and has reflective foil so they can't see me if I move slowly

Don't know if it's a reflection of themselves they're attacking, or probably is as just went and looked in and you can't see anything inside but have a very good reflection. It's odd that it's started happening with at least two birds of different species

« Reply #6307 on: 12 September, 2022, 03:39:30 pm »
Crow and magpie are pretty much the same species, brain-wise!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6308 on: 12 September, 2022, 07:13:17 pm »
Our rented Derbyshire cottage has a goodly selection of birds. Over the past couple of days, from the dining table, we have seen robins, great tits, blue tits, wrens, goldfinches, chaffinches and a blackcap. Also there is what appears to be a vole occupying a dry-stone wall, which has obviously been named the Vole in the Wall.

There are house martins an, after dark, bats.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6309 on: 13 September, 2022, 08:30:08 am »
Crow was back again. This time it took a stone with it when itleft. They often dig through the stones outside my window for tasty morsels

« Reply #6310 on: 13 September, 2022, 11:55:02 am »
Our gite in Provence had jays which seemed to be filling the same niche that jackdaws do round here. Granted it was in a wooded area but we are near woods in the UK and I have very rarely seen a jay. These French ones would appear in touching distance outside the window trying to get grapes from the vines covering the terrace.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6311 on: 14 September, 2022, 08:01:22 am »
Crow was back again. This time it took a stone with it when itleft. They often dig through the stones outside my window for tasty morsels

I noticed the other day that the path we take to the next village had quite a few walnut shells on it but no nearby nut-trees.  The crows & ravens bring them there and drop them from a height to break them open. Clever beasts.

« Reply #6312 on: 19 September, 2022, 10:02:36 am »
A baby grey squirrel - quite unusual, around here anyway, I think as they don’t generally come out much until they are nearly as large as the adults. This one was on its first foray out. I saw that it was struggling somewhat on the monkey puzzle tree, and just as I was thinking “you’re going to fall off”, it did  :( Quite a drop too, 20 feet or more I think.

I went out on the balcony for a look and thankfully it was OK - and eventually climbed back up after a bit of a cuddle from mum:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/cevvsc3tppgoida/20220919_081458.mov?dl=0

After a short time back in the nest, it followed its parent down the tree again - and fell off again! From even higher up this time. Mum takes a different approach to the return trip:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tjr2nz8dlzh1dhf/IMG_5672.mov?dl=0

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6313 on: 19 September, 2022, 10:17:32 pm »
Sqrls (several), bluebirbs (faahsands), a small but perfectly formed lizard and a squadron of vautours or similar just outside Oakdale CA.  At least ten of 'em, one of which seemed to have his beady eye on me.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6314 on: 02 October, 2022, 03:04:07 pm »
A Pallid Harrier. A what? An average of 2 sightings per year in the UK, I believe. One was seen and photographed and posted on Facebook on Friday, and it was confirmed as a Pallid Harrier by people who know about these things. Yesterday I went to the area it had been seen (about a 20 minute walk from where I'm staying). I saw one obvious twitcher and little else.

This morning I went back - the tide allowed me get there via the beach. There were already people visible on the road through the golf course (not  moving, so not golfers). As I was getting closer, I saw 3 people pointing very long lenses at a point above my head, and silhouetted against the sky was a bird of prey. The three twitchers, who had come the hundred miles or so from Glasgow that morning, confirmed that it was indeed the Pallid Harrier I had seen.

I stayed about an hour chatting to various twitchers, gazing into the distance - at one point it was on a very distant fence post and visible using a powerful telescope, and from time to time it would fly about a bit, but little more than a distant spot unless you had powerful binoculars.

As I was making my way back via a headland, a bird flashed past me, about 30 ft away before disappearing into some trees some distance ahead, and I'm pretty sure it was the one. I got a good view and  it matched pictures online (although most but not all pictures are from below and I saw it from above).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #6315 on: 02 October, 2022, 03:15:26 pm »
Wow.  Fantastic.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6316 on: 02 October, 2022, 03:28:30 pm »
Pallid harrier makes me think one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse has become a Goth.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6317 on: 02 October, 2022, 08:51:52 pm »
A Pallid Harrier. A what? An average of 2 sightings per year in the UK, I believe.
A bit more often than that, these days.
Point of Lag (D&G) Friday, Kent & Dorset Tuesday, Norfolk 13th Sept, Yorkshire 11th Sept, Staffs 10th Sept, Surrey 2nd Sept, Ayrshire 29 Aug ...

I suspect that it's mostly better identification, with digital cameras allowing close scrutiny of the plumage details, and more details readily available on exactly what to look for.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6318 on: 05 October, 2022, 02:25:55 pm »
A small number of avocets, some godwits, a few wigeon and a swallow.

« Reply #6319 on: 07 October, 2022, 04:55:55 pm »
A hornet, no idea if Asian or not was driving a customers van back to them and it flew in so I managed to open window a bit more and off it popped. Bloody huge thing

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6320 on: 07 October, 2022, 07:59:06 pm »
Whereabouts was that? You are Essex-based, aren't you?

I saw in the local rag that some pest control/beekeeper type removed an enormous Asian hornet's nest from a sycamore tree in Rayleigh last week. Probably too late in the season to have stopped next year's queens all buggering off and finding somewhere to hibernate though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6321 on: 08 October, 2022, 05:16:30 pm »
A whooper swan in Furryboottoon.

« Reply #6322 on: 19 October, 2022, 02:52:54 pm »
A sparrow hawk perched on the back of one of our garden chairs just now.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #6323 on: 19 October, 2022, 07:19:10 pm »
Not sure what I saw tonight.  A huge, really huge,  flock of birds about the shape and size of swifts, high up, but heading north? Huh?
I've not seen anything like that before here.

« Reply #6324 on: 19 October, 2022, 08:28:24 pm »

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tjr2nz8dlzh1dhf/IMG_5672.mov?dl=0

That little one has an equally inept sibling. Both are a little bigger than that now, and I watched them emerge from the nest this morning and go through their warm-up routine up and down the monkey-puzzle and the false acacia just behind it. Then the inevitable: another fall, this time from close to the top of the acacia, which is a hell of a drop. A few seconds sitting still on the ground, attentively watched from above by its sibling, and off it scarpered. They can fall a great height as long as they land OK,