Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018526 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #6350 on: 25 December, 2022, 07:45:25 pm »
Some sparrows on our bird feeder, which probably means food may be starting to get scarce for them as haven't had any for ages. Did strip and clean the feeder a few weeks back just to be safe with bird flu

Don't eat from the same feeder as the birds - you'll be fine.

« Reply #6351 on: 28 December, 2022, 12:53:28 pm »
Along with the usuals blue- and great tits, sparrows, robins and goldfinches we had a lesser spotted woodpecker and a blackcap, both female.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6352 on: 02 January, 2023, 01:37:59 pm »
Today we had a male and female blackcap on the feeders at the same time. And a little later a rat cleaning up dropped food, although this is usually the preserve of squirrels, pigeons and chaffinches - the latter aren’t generally too good at perching on the seed feeders.

« Reply #6353 on: 02 January, 2023, 01:48:11 pm »
Red crested Woodpecker yesterday. Not often seen in the garden.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6354 on: 02 January, 2023, 03:13:30 pm »
Red crested Woodpecker yesterday. Not often seen in the garden.

Given it’s a native of North America that rarity is not a surprise!

« Reply #6355 on: 02 January, 2023, 05:33:19 pm »
Possibly greater spotted, whose male has a red patch on the neck - they visit gardens.  Green woodpecker might visit what a stately home might call a garden but would be rare in a "normal" one.  But it has a beautiful red stripe on its head - all sexes.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6356 on: 02 January, 2023, 05:56:35 pm »
Today we had a male and female blackcap on the feeders at the same time. And a little later a rat cleaning up dropped food, although this is usually the preserve of squirrels, pigeons and chaffinches - the latter aren’t generally too good at perching on the seed feeders.

May depend on your perches, I got some ring perches to go on ours, as apparently some birds like to sit face on, while others prefer side on. The chaffinches seem happy enough with them.
https://www.reallywildbirdfood.co.uk/feeder-accessories/perch-rings-for-ring-pull--feeders/rpr-
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6357 on: 03 January, 2023, 08:34:12 am »
We've Squirell Busters (very neccessary where we are), so essentially ring perches. I think it's just a preference. Some robins will perch, other wont.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6358 on: 06 January, 2023, 04:23:54 pm »
Ouch...

(click to show/hide)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6359 on: 06 January, 2023, 06:42:39 pm »
^ouch indeed

I went out to the tractor field to see if a barn owl would put in an appearance.  While I waited, a flock of canada geese flew over, led by a mute swan.  I also had a chiffchaff perch next to me.  After nearly an hour, a owl appeared briefly.  By then it was really too dark for photos, but that rarely stops me trying.
wolly by PaulRide, on Flickr

« Reply #6360 on: 06 January, 2023, 06:55:58 pm »
Brilliant! Thanks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6361 on: 08 January, 2023, 10:05:36 am »
Brilliant is right - it's tremendous.  Not just catching the owl, but the entire picture: competition material.

---o0o---

Yesterday as I was fighting the wind along the Marne-Rhine canal I saw a soot-black duck-shaped bird with a partly-yellow bill taking off from the water.  Annoyingly I had to navigate round a brace of dog-walkers a second or two later, and when I looked back it was gone.  Oiseaux.net suggests it was a Black Scoter.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6362 on: 09 January, 2023, 12:07:04 am »
Yesterday as I was fighting the wind along the Marne-Rhine canal I saw a soot-black duck-shaped bird with a partly-yellow bill taking off from the water.  Annoyingly I had to navigate round a brace of dog-walkers a second or two later, and when I looked back it was gone.  Oiseaux.net suggests it was a Black Scoter.
Unlikely.
Much more likely to be a blackish farmyard/park mallard type duck.

Scoters are almost entirely a maritime species at this time of year, and the Black Scoter is a North American species anyway, as the latin name implies. There's the similar Common Scoter, with a small amount of yellow, but even that's unlikely in an inland area.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6363 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:24:01 am »
Unlikely.
Much more likely to be a blackish farmyard/park mallard type duck.

Scoters are almost entirely a maritime species at this time of year, and the Black Scoter is a North American species anyway, as the latin name implies. There's the similar Common Scoter, with a small amount of yellow, but even that's unlikely in an inland area.

I thought it a bit of a stretch too, but that page I referenced has a distribution map that covers most of the northern hemisphere; and even though we are ~500k from the sea here I see gulls almost every time I ride along the canal. The thing was dead black, too, apart from the very striking yellow on the bill.

The weather has been so half-arsed lately I wouldn't be surprised to see an off-course vulture.

« Reply #6364 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:11:19 pm »
I thought it a bit of a stretch too, but that page I referenced has a distribution map that covers most of the northern hemisphere
The distribution map in your link was well dodgy.
It's whole countries only, so the population around the Bering Strait colours the whole of Russia, and adding in the odd vagrant colours the UK, France etc.
There are more meaningful distribution maps in the wikipedia pages I linked.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6365 on: 10 January, 2023, 11:23:09 am »
ISWYM.  I'll keep an eye out next time I'm down that way but I've been riding along there for the last 25 years and that's the first time I've seen anything like it. Mallard, swans, herons & gulls are common as get out and Canada geese are not unusual lately.

« Reply #6366 on: 12 January, 2023, 07:37:15 am »
Yesterday lunchtime, in our back garden, a male bullfinch.
A few minutes later, a pair of great spotted woodpeckers on the top of the telegraph pole, also in the back garden.
We get both infrequently, but I'm not sure we've ever had a pair of woodpeckers.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6367 on: 12 January, 2023, 08:35:08 pm »
I regularly see up to a dozen deer in fields on my way to work. Over the last week about a dozen migratory swans (Whooper or Berwick) have taken over an area of one of the deer’s fields.
Much nearer the road I have had a huge heron fly along side me twice this week, and got to within about 3 metres of a barn owl hunting in the ditch alongside the road, twice as well.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #6368 on: 15 January, 2023, 04:35:00 pm »
I have just witnessed a pair of foxes on my neighbour's (gently sloping) shed roof having three attempts at producing the next generation.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #6369 on: 16 January, 2023, 05:55:27 pm »
A slightly better view today

Barn owl
by PaulRide, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6370 on: 16 January, 2023, 07:20:03 pm »
Nice!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6371 on: 18 January, 2023, 08:31:55 am »
and again last night
g by PaulRide, on Flickr

« Reply #6372 on: 18 January, 2023, 08:41:33 am »
An excellent shot, Paul, beautiful.

« Reply #6373 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:16:28 am »
Beautiful

« Reply #6374 on: 21 January, 2023, 06:54:04 pm »
Absolutely beautiful frosty walk this afternoon. Tilly flushed a really big hare that shot through a gap in the hedge and down the hill. 
We are really lucky there are loads of hares round the village.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.