Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018283 times)

sam

Re: Seen today
« Reply #6475 on: 05 May, 2023, 12:14:13 pm »

I assume they're getting it on.
This is most distasteful.

« Reply #6476 on: 06 May, 2023, 10:31:08 am »
A sparrowhawk, on the parking area opposite our house, with a sparrow from the adjacent hedge in its claws.

ETA And again today, this time on the wing over the back field. Plus some swifts.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6477 on: 08 May, 2023, 09:54:08 am »
More heard than seen. Scene-setting, we live in an 1840’s terrace, the wall height in the bedroom at the front being 7’. The window too is at 6’. At about 6am, we were awakened by several very loud ‘CAW’ noises. That being a jackdaw, which in my stupor I assumed would be on the roof or gutter, and that the next I would hear was feet on slate. Not a bit of it - instead there were 5 or 6 loud knocks on the glass, from the jackdaw pecking it! It must have somehow balanced on the clematis the runs under the window. Quite startling.

« Reply #6478 on: 08 May, 2023, 04:04:41 pm »
And this afternoon a hare - we know they’re there but they’re quite elusive, a skylark, first of the year and a blue tit, caterpillar in beak, going in to the nest box at the bottom of the garden.

« Reply #6479 on: 08 May, 2023, 04:17:51 pm »
More heard than seen. Scene-setting, we live in an 1840’s terrace, the wall height in the bedroom at the front being 7’. The window too is at 6’. At about 6am, we were awakened by several very loud ‘CAW’ noises. That being a jackdaw, which in my stupor I assumed would be on the roof or gutter, and that the next I would hear was feet on slate. Not a bit of it - instead there were 5 or 6 loud knocks on the glass, from the jackdaw pecking it! It must have somehow balanced on the clematis the runs under the window. Quite startling.

No sign of Boris Karloff?

« Reply #6480 on: 08 May, 2023, 08:35:48 pm »

Thus quoth the Raven, as my wife said.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6481 on: 09 May, 2023, 10:52:00 am »

Thus quoth the Raven, as my wife said.

Simon of that ilk?  Haven't read any of his for years, must give him another go.

Meanwhile, I haz just ushered this engine of doom out of my office:

3 to 4 cm long.

And anent ravens, yesterday I watched as one scrambled from our roof-ridge with much cawing to intercept a heron that was gliding by, completely aloof. I don't think it flapped its wings once, while the raven went spare behind it before dropping away as it banked towards the village stream. Duty done, honour saved on both sides.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6482 on: 13 May, 2023, 07:37:41 pm »
First swifts of the year.

« Reply #6483 on: 13 May, 2023, 07:44:21 pm »
Just now, a fox at the far side of the field in front of our house, so about 100m away. We rarely see them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6484 on: 15 May, 2023, 12:55:29 pm »

grass snake
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6485 on: 15 May, 2023, 02:49:03 pm »
Yesterday morning, but I had a peek into the nest box, and saw around half a dozen very freshly hatched bluetits. No parent(s) in evidence, but there must be at least one, judging from the occasional crescendo of cheeps heard spordaically throughout the day.

« Reply #6486 on: 15 May, 2023, 04:35:40 pm »
Two white fallow deer in a herd of about 30 that crossed the road single file as I approached on the bike.  Not that unusual, white being a recognised colouring for fallow deer, but the first I remember seeing for several years.

« Reply #6487 on: 15 May, 2023, 04:44:17 pm »
grass snake

What a beauty!
I've never seen one - no verified records for many years in Co Durham, and it's not for lack of looking.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6488 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:03:21 am »
That one was near Tewkesbury – quite a long way from Durham!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6489 on: 18 May, 2023, 01:15:28 pm »
That one was near Tewkesbury – quite a long way from Durham!

Still great to see one.
We seem to have lost it up here - but we have got good populations of adders locally.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6490 on: 18 May, 2023, 05:23:09 pm »
A very good couple of hours at Fingringhoe Wick (Essex Wildlife Trust). We heard lots of the usual stuff plus nightingales and garden warblers, and saw a turtle dove. Lovely weather.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6491 on: 20 May, 2023, 07:14:49 pm »
Two nice sightings while doing a bit in the garden today.
Our new bee hotel has residents.  :thumbsup:
I found a slow worm while clearing away some pots. Eventually I managed to persuade it into a seed tray, so it could be moved onto some vegetation as opposed to the concrete path in a gully.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6492 on: 21 May, 2023, 01:35:44 pm »
What a treat I just had. 8)
We have a shallow dish, about 12" diameter and 1" deep, which is the water bowl for the tortoise. I was making a cuppa when I looked out the back door and saw a starling and a male sparrow having a bath. When they got out another male sparrow had a splash about, until a youngish magpie came down and scared him off. When the magpie flew away another male sparrow came down for a bathe.
We rarely get sparrows around here, hence the treat.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6493 on: 21 May, 2023, 03:25:39 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6494 on: 21 May, 2023, 03:27:24 pm »
First starling fledgling of the year  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6495 on: 22 May, 2023, 09:08:36 pm »
At a local pond: ducklings and moorchicks, but also a couple of herring gulls.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6496 on: 22 May, 2023, 09:19:31 pm »
Not seen but heard. The jackdaw chicks in the nests in the eves of our outhouse have been audible for some time now. But they're getting louder.  Each time a parent flies in, there is a right cacophony.  They'll be fledging soon.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6497 on: 24 May, 2023, 02:47:39 pm »

Mama stork w. future chicks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6498 on: 28 May, 2023, 11:11:57 am »
About 30 jackdaws and 10 red kites, plus a kestrel. The field (of grass for animal feed) opposite our cottage is being cut. I expect the (much larger) one behind will also be cut soon.

« Reply #6499 on: 28 May, 2023, 11:16:46 pm »
Three little frogs in the very small pond on our allotment.

I saw three a few weeks ago - once. Then two for a while, then one. I feared something was munching its way through them. Then I started seeing two again, & today there were three. Oh, frabjous day! I think the've just been hiding.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897