Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018332 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Seen today
« Reply #6500 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:29:51 pm »
I actually saw the snake last month but a lot more people saw it this evening 2 minutes from the end of Springwatch.

Click on the thumbnail below for a 36-second youtube video of the same adder.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6501 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:35:22 pm »
Just saw it! Nice. (I finally have a tenuous claim to fame  :) )

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6502 on: 31 May, 2023, 09:12:43 am »
Saw a small young trout (or sewin - never understood the difference) leap to take some insect or other.
This is something I'd see pretty regularly until last year, when I never saw it at all, which was somewhat worrying.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6503 on: 31 May, 2023, 01:51:40 pm »
Seven Starling fledglings in a row on my garage roof, whilst parents go to a pellet feeder on the wall below and provide nigh on instant gratification. (with fast turnaround).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6504 on: 31 May, 2023, 02:03:38 pm »
The number of starling fledglings is increasing exponentially here. Sunday = 2 fledglings, yesterday = 7, today = 15. By the end of the week they'll be standing on Zanzibar.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6505 on: 03 June, 2023, 10:40:52 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-65786066

Yesterday, and not seen by me, sadly. Dolphins in the River Crouch estuary. The church in the background is instantly recognisable to those who have been there: Canewdon. The church tower is an especially bulky one.

My best guess is that the dolphins were about here: http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=587420&Y=196445&A=Y&Z=120

Edit: it seems this isn't the first time: I found a video on FB from 18th May of 4 harbour porpoises in the same stretch of the Crouch.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6506 on: 03 June, 2023, 11:27:46 pm »
Opened a cutlery drawer and lo and behold, a shiny black female false widow. My paranoia is growing. Infamy, infamy............ ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rr

« Reply #6507 on: 04 June, 2023, 12:42:07 am »
A Red Kite above the A12 between Boreham and Hatfield Peverel, the first I have seen east of Chelmsford.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6508 on: 04 June, 2023, 09:11:13 am »
Washed up dead whale on yesterday's walk in Angus.

(click to show/hide)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6509 on: 04 June, 2023, 03:02:07 pm »
Brother David sent me this message this morning:

Went fishing yesterday at irrigation res near Witham. Saw osprey, buzzard, kite and kestrel. Caught 2 trout and 6 perch. Osprey dived into water twice but caught 0.

I don't know where this reservoir is that he fishes, but I'm guessing that it's this one: http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=580000&Y=215375&A=Y&Z=120

I know he talks about "Lord Rayleigh's Farm" and so far as I can tell, his land is in the Terling area.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6510 on: 05 June, 2023, 06:41:55 pm »
A bit of excitement for me this morning (Pingu was still in bed), our first GSW visitor to our feeders, a female.

IMG_4492_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6511 on: 06 June, 2023, 08:06:21 pm »
Somewhat bizarrely a partially disemboweled Glis Glis on out patio. Spotted out the back door window, but not mentioned to my wife, who was still in bed drinking her tea. Later she texted that she’d found entrails on the patio. But no attached Glis Glis. I suppose it’s possible a Red Kite collected it, but they usually avoid the relatively small garden. And later, she found a similarly deceased rat on the lawn. Our cat generally just kills things, so this was very odd. Up there wit( the rabbit head we found about 15 years ago - though that was probably a fox.

ETA on a lighter note the song thrush singing from the ridge of the house across the road.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6512 on: 06 June, 2023, 08:21:53 pm »

Went fishing yesterday at irrigation res near Witham. Saw osprey, buzzard, kite and kestrel. Caught 2 trout and 6 perch. Osprey dived into water twice but caught 0.

I don't know where this reservoir is that he fishes, but I'm guessing that it's this one: http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=580000&Y=215375&A=Y&Z=120

I know he talks about "Lord Rayleigh's Farm" and so far as I can tell, his land is in the Terling area.

I don't think you'd be far wrong with the location Wow, all the birds you mentioned are fairly common round those parts with the exception of the osprey which I've not heard reported. I'm obviously not saying he didn't but would be unusual

We do have a resident Harris hawk in the area

Edited just looked on our local wildlife Facebook group and folk I know not to be idiots and indeed knowledgeable have 3 years back mentioned both osprey and white tailed eagles passing by

« Reply #6513 on: 08 June, 2023, 10:14:11 am »
We see many many of the owners of this type of feather, but I think this is the first we've found in 20 years.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6514 on: 08 June, 2023, 02:20:43 pm »

I don't think you'd be far wrong with the location Wow, all the birds you mentioned are fairly common round those parts with the exception of the osprey which I've not heard reported. I'm obviously not saying he didn't but would be unusual

We do have a resident Harris hawk in the area

Edited just looked on our local wildlife Facebook group and folk I know not to be idiots and indeed knowledgeable have 3 years back mentioned both osprey and white tailed eagles passing by

He did say that the only osprey he had seen previously was on Hanningfield reservoir, where he spent 42 years as a water company chemist, and regularly fished for trout there.

I have only seen ospreys in two places: the Loch of Lowes, in 1993, when they were nesting there and the young had fledged, which was lovely, and much more recently when we had a cycle tour of Dorset and as our train passed Poole harbour, there was one standing on a post.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6515 on: 08 June, 2023, 02:58:24 pm »

Mama stork w. future chicks.
Never mind swallows, it's storks that make a summer.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6516 on: 09 June, 2023, 12:41:05 am »
Just heard a wol.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6517 on: 09 June, 2023, 07:30:50 am »

Mama stork w. future chicks.
Never mind swallows, it's storks that make a summer.

One town I ride through every so often had over 40 occupied stork nests this spring.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6518 on: 09 June, 2023, 11:24:13 pm »
Driving back Mr Tesco's Emporium of Toothy Comestibles towards my Rural Idyll, a tawny owl sitting in the road, looking at me. I stopped the motor, the owl looked at me a bit more then flew away.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #6519 on: 13 June, 2023, 10:28:37 am »
Upon exiting the pub last evening I was politely accosted by a young fellow who requested my assistance in removing a large bug from his car. He didn't know what it was and was bothered that it might get in and interfere with his driving. Upon inspection, it turned out to be a rather magnificent stag beetle. It was just sitting on his windscreen wiper minding its own business. I plucked it off and, after a few moments of it being admired whilst resting on my hand, I placed it on nearby tree. I should have taken a pic but forgot in the excitement. I haven't seen one in decades.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #6520 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:22:35 am »
This morning, a hedgehog walking across the lawn.

« Reply #6521 on: 14 June, 2023, 11:19:04 am »
Sadly no pics as only had not very good phone camera on me. Saturday afternoon, after an al fresco lunch by the river, our attention was drawn to a clacking sound neither Merlin nor BirdNet could identify. Then we saw that there were several large brown birds on a island in the Guadiana, two of which were engaged in a striking dance and making all the noise. So a mating ritual or a male dominance display probably, until one gave up and flew away. With the help of our trusty Lars Jonsson we identified them as Purple Heron, which we've not seen before. The clacking sound is similar to that made by storks - very common here - but higher pitched. We're located in Extremadura and here the River Guadiana marks the Spanish-Portuguese border.  It was a fantastic show I feel very privileged to have witnessed.

BTW as recent converts to Merlin, thanks to this forum, we're really enjoying identifying the varieties of birds hereabouts, even if some are heard but not seen. It'd be even more useful to us if it gave the latin names for cross-referencing between languages and local names. Maybe that's a function I've yet to find how to enable.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #6522 on: 14 June, 2023, 12:31:39 pm »
A badger about 15 miles out of Le Mans - near Cures.  Never seen a badger in France before.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6523 on: 15 June, 2023, 11:53:45 am »
The look Mr Fox gave me when I told him through the bathroom window to bugger off out of my garden suggests he has a future as a Tory MP.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6524 on: 15 June, 2023, 09:36:15 pm »
The largest flock of swifts so far this year zooming overhead. I reckon there were at least 30 of them.