Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1019403 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Seen today
« Reply #6550 on: 24 July, 2023, 07:32:29 am »
Early Morning garden visitor

P7241181 (2) by ian, on Flickr

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6551 on: 24 July, 2023, 11:04:11 am »
 :thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6552 on: 27 July, 2023, 11:27:32 am »
A pair of pigeons (one of which was predominantly white) cavorting on the ridge of a house within sight of my bedroom.

The romantic goings-on reached a climax before they flew off (caught on video).

ETA: And here's the video https://youtu.be/-zfCkPT5vpA

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6553 on: 28 July, 2023, 02:00:27 pm »
On my ride home this morning, a deer, dead by the roadside and eviscerated.  Judging by the opened abdomen and the black void within it had been got at by wild boar.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6554 on: 28 July, 2023, 07:37:47 pm »
No wolves in your neck of the woods?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6555 on: 28 July, 2023, 07:39:45 pm »
Or audaxers...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6556 on: 28 July, 2023, 10:05:34 pm »
On arriving at the correct road in Writtle, I had been trying to recall which house Mike lived in, when I saw him crossing the road with a cloth in his hand. He had a pygmy shrew in there, which he'd rescued from his cat. It seemed unharmed and he released it back into the leaf litter at the base of the hawthorn hedge. It's years since I saw a shrew. I'm not certain I've seen a live one before.

« Reply #6557 on: 31 July, 2023, 01:26:25 pm »
A hornet, seen it or one of its mates a few time recently. It's European rather then Asian and was just pottering around compost heap and enjoying a banana skin in there

Did despair slightly when googling to check Asian or European the language being used of murder hornets that can kill in one sting. So can a bee/wasp/normal hornet if your allergic.

I know the Asian Hornets need to be dealt with but the inflammatory language it just further distances us from wildlife around us.

« Reply #6558 on: 31 July, 2023, 03:27:20 pm »
Obviously just finished it's weekly shopping  :D
Must have used the footbridge, then. I don't think it could keep its shopping dry if it swam.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6559 on: 06 August, 2023, 11:05:27 pm »
I think this is a Lion's Mane.

Or something like that.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6560 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:50:52 pm »
Something in the middle of the bridleway out of the woods caught my eye on this evening's MTB ride.  It looked like a leaf but didn't move like a leaf.  I stopped and went back to investigate and found this:

It sat there as I approached but hopped off into the undergrowth as I reached out my hand to add a sense of scale  :(

They were combining the adjacent field so its family may well be appearing in your next Hovis loaf  :sick:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6561 on: 08 August, 2023, 11:24:14 pm »
Yesterday.

A stroll around Two Tree Island with My Pal Mel. We stopped in the bus shelter which doubles up as a bird hide at the west end of the island and spent quite a few minutes watching the lagoon and it avians.

Quite a few black tailed godwits and redshanks, living beak-by-fowl;
the usual smattering of gulls;
the amusing site of an avocet trying to chase away a shelduck. In my experience, shelduck usually come in pairs, or at least, even-numbered groups, but this was a lone shelduck. The avocet adopted its aggressive position and homed in on the shelduck as long as its back was turned, but as soon as the shelduck turned to face the avocet, it backed off. A while later, on a small island, I noticed something moving. It could have been a bit of paper waving around in the breeze, but its movements became regular and I realised that it was a small-duck sized creature preening itself. Mel had his binoculars with him and he lent them to me, and I realised that there were two such creatures and they were juvenile avocets. Not long afterwards we spotted a third, that had been wading around some distance away. So there has been at least one successful pair of breeding avocets at Two Tree Island this year. A few years back, there were lots, but then large numbers of black-headed gulls moved in to breed, and the avocet numbers dwindled to next to nothing.
A warbler on some hogweed, but I couldn't decide whether it was a willow warbler or a chiffchaff. it made no sounds that gave itself away.

« Reply #6562 on: 09 August, 2023, 02:56:26 pm »
Flying ants, and on the back of that about 50 swallows.
'Flying ant day' is often whilst my daughter (and, in more recent years, myself) are camping at Wimbledon

It's today in this part of South Wales. Natural History Museum website states that  "This annual swarming event usually occurs in July or August and coincides with a period of hot and humid weather" and that it's a season with peaks rather than a single day. It also quotes a study that "found that ants only flew on days when it was warm, not windy and conditions had improved compared to the previous day. There is also anecdotal evidence that flying ant days often occur after some summer rain." That all checks out here today.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6563 on: 09 August, 2023, 05:51:23 pm »
Spotted two flying ants today, so perhaps it will be swarm day tomorrow here.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6564 on: 11 August, 2023, 12:03:37 am »
Last Thursday I went to Brownsea Island without my Scouts but with my Young Lady. We had planned to go the day before en masse but the howling gale meant no ferries.

Anyhoo, as I got off the ferry, the Jolly Boatman spotted my Big Camera and sidled up to me.
"You looking for red squirrels? Up behind the church. Top tip". He may have winked.
We made our way to the church. Sitting on the wall was a red squirrel. Hurrah. After a bit more squirrel watching we had a look round the church. Inside it on the door was a sign warning people to be careful closing it as bats may be roosting in the stonework of the door frame. And there was a single snoozing bat.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6565 on: 11 August, 2023, 09:02:50 am »
I found this little thumbling on my way home yesterday, stopped in the middle of the road. I assume that the car that had overtaken me had surprised the family as they were crossing the road. Scooped him up for his close-up and left him on the verge. I did think about putting him in the top tube bag and then getting St Tiggywinkles to look after him, but thought that mum couldn't have been too far off.

« Reply #6566 on: 11 August, 2023, 09:03:24 am »
I found this little thumbling on my way home yesterday, stopped in the middle of the road. I assume that the car that had overtaken me had surprised the family as they were crossing the road. Scooped him up for his close-up and left him on the verge. I did think about putting him in the top tube bag and then getting St Tiggywinkles to look after him, but thought that mum couldn't have been too far off.

I think he's a baby vole.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6567 on: 11 August, 2023, 11:13:09 am »

Is any specific type of grasshopper, or is it simply a grasshopper?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6568 on: 11 August, 2023, 12:09:27 pm »

One of the above?

Or has Llandysul suffered a plague of locusts?

« Reply #6569 on: 13 August, 2023, 08:30:01 pm »

Is any specific type of grasshopper, or is it simply a grasshopper?

It’s not just any grasshopper; it’s a Common Field Grasshopper.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6570 on: 17 August, 2023, 06:28:50 pm »
Today we saw minke whales in the Minch. Not easy to photograph!

It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6571 on: 25 August, 2023, 05:21:01 pm »
Lots of waders at Two Tree island. Hundreds of black-tailed godwits, quite a few avocets, handful of redshank - although there may have been a lot more, but they were much less conspicuous than the others, two teal, a few egrets and quite a few black-headed gulls mostly in winter plumage now. I'll try and add some photos.

Avocet family. The three youngsters, not almost fully grown but still showing juvenile plumage, are having a snooze whilst parent (don't know which - only one seemed to be in attendance today) is nipping round the back of the vegetation to see off the godwit that has made the mistake of straying too close.

Worralorragodwits.

Hadleigh Castle. I don't think Constable ever saw it from that viewpoint.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6572 on: 29 August, 2023, 01:17:57 am »
Not-very-grey sqrls at Fort Atkinson NE this morning:

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6573 on: 01 September, 2023, 01:05:19 am »
Snuck up on this bunny-wunny at Fort Buford State Historic Site near Williston ND this morning:

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6574 on: 01 September, 2023, 01:03:21 pm »
Our neighbour has a couple of camera traps in his back garden. Last night they caught a hedgehog! We’ve not spotted one in our garden for about 20 years.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)