Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018903 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #475 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:25:05 pm »
Bluebells! Only a few, on a south-facing bank south of the M4, but a harbinger of the vast swathes of blue soon to appear just north of here.

A robin sat on a tree above us and sang as we waited for our lunch.

I love this time of year.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #476 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:27:25 pm »
More bluebells here, well near the top of Reigate Hill in a bank of trees by the road.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #477 on: 05 April, 2009, 11:47:34 pm »
First chiffchaff of the year on Thursday morning - on the Roseburn Path just by the Water of Leith.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #478 on: 06 April, 2009, 10:29:52 pm »
... and an early willow warbler in the (very urban) garden this afternoon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #479 on: 07 April, 2009, 01:51:39 pm »
The first batch of Priory Park frogspawn seems to be well dead and rotting. There's a second batch, appeared about last Thursday, which looks OK at the moment. Fingers crossed.

No ducklings yet. Won't be long now.

Still no ducklings, but there are some tadpoles! :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #480 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:01:46 pm »
The first batch of Priory Park frogspawn seems to be well dead and rotting. There's a second batch, appeared about last Thursday, which looks OK at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Ducklins doesn't come from frogspawn </extent of wildlife knowledge>
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #481 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:31:25 pm »
I'm just watching a tree creeper on our silver birch.  Odd jerky movements, like a mouse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #482 on: 08 April, 2009, 08:58:33 pm »
Crossing the River Little Ouse at, er, Little Ouse in the morning last week, I saw a dull small thing flying low along the river coming from the east. Played poohsticks with it as it zoomed underneath the bridge, and transformed into an electric blue flash. Wonderful.

On the way home the same day, it came back the other way! Couldn't believe it. I seem to see it most days now. A lovely halfway stop; really perks one up. If no kingfisher, then woodpeckers and barn owls seem to sub in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #483 on: 09 April, 2009, 03:59:13 pm »

Ducklins doesn't come from frogspawn </extent of wildlife knowledge>

Well they've come from somewhere. 9 on the lake today following their mum. There's tadpoles too, but in a different stretch of water.

I also spent a very interesting 10 minutes watching large carp eating bread. The carp in Priory Park lake go up to about 30lb - the biggest I've seen was a 27lber that the anglers call "the pig".

The water is very turbid with a blue-green algal bloom so it's hard to see the fish below the surface until they come up for the bread. Then, without warning, there's a loud "slurp"and the bread disappears. Once, the upper half of a carp's head appeared above the water as it grabbed a piece of crust. I'd say it was at least 4" from snout to the start of the fish's back so that fish was a good "double figure"one. On another occasion, I saw the side of a fish shine gold just beneath the surface, and I reckon that was a good 20lb plus. It looked like a side of beef.

As a pointer, the guy who caught this one told me it weighed 13lb.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #484 on: 11 April, 2009, 06:26:22 pm »
Two swans having sex in the Thames. Looked as if he was drowning her, but there was a touching display of neck-rubbing when they'd finished, so presumably she had no complaints. Spent a long time straightening out her feathers, though: much longer than him.

Hordes of grebes, in both the Thames & Kennet. They seem to be getting more common.

Rather tame blackbirds in my garden, hunting worms within a few feet of me or Mrs B. The goldfinches are also being brave, feeding when one of us is quite close. The blue tits are shyer.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #485 on: 11 April, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »
The water is very turbid with a blue-green algal bloom so it's hard to see the fish below the surface until they come up for the bread. Then, without warning, there's a loud "slurp"and the bread disappears. Once, the upper half of a carp's head appeared above the water as it grabbed a piece of crust. I'd say it was at least 4" from snout to the start of the fish's back so that fish was a good "double figure"one. On another occasion, I saw the side of a fish shine gold just beneath the surface, and I reckon that was a good 20lb plus. It looked like a side of beef.

If you go to a carp lake in calm summer weather at dusk, you can see them swimming about with their dorsal fins out of the water, presumably catching flies and pond skaters.   They're very wily fish and notoriously hard to catch; I heard of a guy who was determined to catch one of the big carp out of a lake, so he went out in a boat and carefully laid a field of "boilies" (boiled bait balls) on the lake bottom with one right  in the middle that was actually attached to his line.

He waited all night.  Nothing happened.

He rowed out again in the morning and every boilie had gone except the one with the hook in it.  Carp have been seen to suck bait in and blow it out repeatedly to see if it has a line attached.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #486 on: 11 April, 2009, 09:39:39 pm »
Swallows

Several of them so it is now officially summer. I know they have been swanning around down south for a while now but these were Northern Swallows. With flat caps and whippets and everything.  ;D

« Reply #487 on: 13 April, 2009, 09:35:57 pm »
A bird I didn't recognise, perched in a tree looking longingly at my bird feeder, but put off, I think, by there being too many people around. Maybe goldfinch sized, but slimmer, with a slimmer beak, & a small crest. Sort of greenish-grey, bands on wings. Any ideas.

Blackbirds (male & female) & a blue tit which weren't put off at all. Looked up from fixing together my new garden tool store to catch the eye of a blackbird with a mouthful of something wriggly, only a few feet away. I think he's a regular, & used to me - and obviously not put off by drilling & hammering. The female & tit both popped by for a feed while I was sitting reading in the sun, only slightly further away.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #488 on: 13 April, 2009, 11:36:06 pm »
A great big one eyed rat in the City today (a few yards from where Mr. Tomlinson and the Police tangled last week).

I stood a couple of feet away from it and watched and it ignored me completely. It couldn't care less about a human.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #489 on: 13 April, 2009, 11:59:23 pm »
one eyed rat in the City

I'm not familiar with that species, Zipperhead. Any pics?  :P

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #490 on: 14 April, 2009, 01:57:36 pm »
Reed Bunting (male). Back garden.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

border-rider

« Reply #491 on: 14 April, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »
A bird I didn't recognise, perched in a tree looking longingly at my bird feeder, but put off, I think, by there being too many people around. Maybe goldfinch sized, but slimmer, with a slimmer beak, & a small crest. Sort of greenish-grey, bands on wings. Any ideas.

Siskin ?

http://www.wildliferanger.co.uk/users/www.wildliferanger.co.uk/upload/Garden%20IX%20Hen%20Siskin%20002.JPG

They seem to be getting more common.  We have loads of them here; I hadn't seen one close up until this year

« Reply #492 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »

Siskin ?

http://www.wildliferanger.co.uk/users/www.wildliferanger.co.uk/upload/Garden%20IX%20Hen%20Siskin%20002.JPG

They seem to be getting more common.  We have loads of them here; I hadn't seen one close up until this year.
But the crest . . . it was quite distinct.

border-rider

« Reply #493 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:08:21 pm »
A lot of little birds pop a crest up when they're excited...or trying to pull.

Bluetits, even

greenish-grey: my first thought was siskin.  Very distinctive colour

« Reply #494 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:20:58 pm »
I've just looked through some of the pictures on Flickr, & if it can pop up a crest, it could be a female. The female at RSPB Fairburn Ings (two pics) looks rather similar, as do some  of the other lighter-coloured ones - mostly labelled female. It didn't look like any of the males.

Flickr: Search
Siskin, Carduelis spinus, Female at RSPB Fairburn Ings on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

border-rider

« Reply #495 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »
The ones we have - even the males  - are not anything like as yellow as the pics.  They're really more greeny-grey-dull

Might try to get a pic tomorrow

« Reply #496 on: 15 April, 2009, 09:26:28 am »
Woodpecker. Fairly small, black and white with a scarlet butt.
I don't think that I have ever seen a woodpecker before but I could tell it was a woodpecker because it was banging its beak on a tree.
Seen at Heath Chapel up on Brown Clee.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

border-rider

« Reply #497 on: 15 April, 2009, 10:21:55 am »
Probably a Greater Spotted

British Garden Birds - Great Spotted Woodpecker

If it didn't have a red bit on its head, it was an adult female

We get them on the peanut feeders.  At the former Volio Towers one Went Bad and tried to break into the blue tit nest boxes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #498 on: 15 April, 2009, 10:44:30 am »
The red knickers are a bit of a giveaway there.

Getting there...

« Reply #499 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:13:39 am »
Female Greater Spotted it was; no red fancy on the head but definitely red knickers.
Cheers
Never knowingly under caffeinated