Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018516 times)

Chris S

Re: Seen today
« Reply #575 on: 09 May, 2009, 04:08:41 pm »
That squealing sound of the Swallows is deep-rooted in my mind. One of my earliest memories is of me kneeling on my bed in my jim-jams, looking out of the window at a hot dusty red setting midsummer sun; way too hot for bed (I was probably about 5, so had to go to bed about 7pm), and the swallows squealing around in the street and between the houses.

< sigh >

« Reply #576 on: 10 May, 2009, 11:01:30 am »
A Peacock on someone's front lawn. The bloody noisy, eerie sounding bugger!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #577 on: 10 May, 2009, 11:06:51 am »
A Goldfinch on the feeder.  First time I've spotted one in our garden - we normally have Great Tits rather than finches around.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #578 on: 10 May, 2009, 09:47:17 pm »
We had a goldfinch today, after a long spell of not seeing any. They seem to come & go. The feeder was mobbed by them at times last year, but sometimes there are none for weeks. The blue tits & great tits - and blackbirds visiting the bird table & rummaging around on the ground, particularly in whichever bed has most recently had compost put on it (more worms!) - are regulars, but only in small numbers.

Greenfinches, chaffinches, linnets & coal tits come & go. Thrushes come slug or snail hunting now & again. Collared doves & feral pigeons pick up bits dropped from the feeder.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #579 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:14:34 am »
A pair of greater spotted woodpeckers feeding young.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #580 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:34:33 am »
Well, Butterfly didn't mention it, so I will.

Turns out that the gardening didn't drive the fox away.

In fact, last night, as we ate dinner, three cubs tumbled out of the den and played in the garden.  Delightful.
Getting there...

« Reply #581 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:51:03 am »
A Heron. Out of all birds they seem to be the hardest to get close to. They're off like a shot.
Must be a 'fear of humans' thing inbred into them from century's of man guarding his fish stocks.

(Thanks Nobby)
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

« Reply #582 on: 14 May, 2009, 02:18:12 pm »
Heron at Betws Y Coed. Standing in the river near the Tourist Info place.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #583 on: 14 May, 2009, 02:26:22 pm »
Which reminds me (indirectly).  This morning, on carshalton Ponds, I saw an altercation between a Coot and a Moorhen.  If I didn't know better, I'd've said one of them had dishonourable intent...
Getting there...

« Reply #584 on: 14 May, 2009, 02:43:40 pm »
Which reminds me (indirectly).  This morning, on carshalton Ponds, I saw an altercation between a Coot and a Moorhen.  If I didn't know better, I'd've said one of them had dishonourable intent...

Which one?  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #585 on: 15 May, 2009, 11:31:13 am »
I think coots are grumpy aggressive gits.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #586 on: 15 May, 2009, 11:33:04 am »
It was the coot who was chasing.  They were a bit more subdued in the rain this morning... :-\
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #587 on: 15 May, 2009, 11:34:28 am »
Just seen as I went outside - a fox in the car park.  Seemed to be either moulting or mangy.  The rear half had quite long hair; the frons seemed to be much shorter...
Getting there...

« Reply #588 on: 15 May, 2009, 06:03:53 pm »
Two goldfinches on my bird feeder, fighting a blue tit for possession of it. He chased one off for a while, but the finches have won it back now.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

border-rider

The Partridge Family
« Reply #589 on: 17 May, 2009, 12:07:40 pm »
In the yard.  They come and eat the ground food by the kitchen window too, but they're very timid.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #590 on: 17 May, 2009, 04:28:00 pm »
A heron

I see it most days, but I had a camera with me today  :)

« Reply #591 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:41:27 am »
Just had four Canada goose goslings wander right up to me with their mum.  :thumbsup:
They were too cute. I wanted to Ozzy Osbourne them for being overly cute.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #592 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:49:09 am »
Smart birds in our garden:

Great tit
Magpie

No others...

The great tit has found the new bird table, and has been nomming peanuts like mad.

I haven't seen any other birds near it.

The magpie, on the other hand, watched me from a distance as I hoed the veg patch, then, when I'd gone, swooped down and ate the grubs I'd disturbed.

Pigeons had better stay clear.  One of them gave me a fright.  As i came into the kitchen saturday morning, I thought I heard someone messing with the bikes.  I got into neanderthal security mode, but, when I peeped out, it was just one of those feathery pests perched on top of the tarpaulin.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: The Partridge Family
« Reply #593 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:52:10 am »
In the yard.  They come and eat the ground food by the kitchen window too, but they're very timid.

Don't you like it when dinner comes to you...  :P ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #594 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »
Well, seen on Friday: a hobby cruising over the treetops in Orpington.  I've only ever seen one once before, but a very distinctive and stylish animal.

« Reply #595 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:48:14 pm »
Pigeons had better stay clear.  One of them gave me a fright. ...

Do you want to borrow Talisker? ;D

... on the other hand, the last Pigeon I know he caught, he brought into the house and managed to loose control of it, until I came home and released it. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #596 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:26:26 pm »
Awfully kind offer and all that, but I think my house is messy enough without feathers & pigeon cr@p everywhere! ;D
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
Re: The Partridge Family
« Reply #597 on: 18 May, 2009, 08:38:59 pm »

Frenchmen!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #598 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:52:25 pm »
It was the coot who was chasing.  They were a bit more subdued in the rain this morning... :-\

Coots are very aggressive and like to try and drown each other (and other birds if they can get away with it).

« Reply #599 on: 21 May, 2009, 10:53:39 pm »
Buzzard being mobbed by two crows less than a mile from the city centre.