Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018363 times)

anth

Re: Seen today
« Reply #1150 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:23:58 am »
No today, but over the weekend I was back in the north-east (Scotland) to see me mam.

Saturday was seal day near Newburgh (around 200 on the beach)

Sunday saw an early morning spin around the town I grew up in (Ellon) and into the woods where I played as a kid. Never once saw a red squirrel in there before in all the years I wandered about in there. Saw at least half a dozen in the space of ten minutes...

Saw a grey squirrel on the walk into work this morning and that got the proper 'meh' treatment after the reds yesterday.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1151 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:23:09 am »
And I thought I was doing well with 8 seals at the Bridge of Don...
What focal length were you using to get your grey seal shots anth?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

anth

« Reply #1152 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:49:48 am »
And I thought I was doing well with 8 seals at the Bridge of Don...
What focal length were you using to get your grey seal shots anth?

You need to get yourself to Newburgh... ;) There's a short walk from the golf club to see the seals from the other side of the water (which we normally do), or a longer walk on the peripherary of the Forvie Reserve that took us here. There are usually maybe 15-20, this was exceptional.

We managed to get within about 30 yards. Any closer and they got a little spooked - and we'd got to that point very very slowly. We sat for about 45 minutes just watching and snapping away - the noise from them was incredible. 200mm for the close-ups - some are cropped down, others left full size.

Seriously, your seal fetish needs to be sated with a trip!

EDIT: there are certain times of year, when there are young pups, that you're not allowed to walk round this side as well.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1153 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:15:55 pm »
A great white egret, in the half flooded field 3/4 mile from my regular sunday pub, along with 70-80 wigeon, 50 teal, a dozen or so shoveler, some canada geese, a couple of herons
Great white? There's a rarity! Whereabouts was that?

« Reply #1154 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:10:40 pm »
Ashleworth Ham, here

I ride past pretty much whenever I go to the pub by a non-direct route. It's the second time I've seen one whilst riding past, though this time I knew about it in advance.

They aren't as rare as they used to be. There's been half a dozen floating round the country for most of the year. When I started back in the mid 70s there was onto about one every other year, and not for very long either.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1155 on: 22 March, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »

Was the one on the left telling jokes?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1156 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:56:49 pm »

Was the one on the left telling jokes?

Toilet humour - something to do with the privy seal.

anth

« Reply #1157 on: 24 March, 2010, 04:39:44 pm »
A grey wagtail down by the Water of Leith on a lunchtime wander:

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1158 on: 25 March, 2010, 08:59:06 am »
Ashleworth Ham, here

I ride past pretty much whenever I go to the pub by a non-direct route. It's the second time I've seen one whilst riding past, though this time I knew about it in advance.

They aren't as rare as they used to be. There's been half a dozen floating round the country for most of the year. When I started back in the mid 70s there was onto about one every other year, and not for very long either.
Damn, far too far away for me

« Reply #1159 on: 25 March, 2010, 03:42:07 pm »
Lots of pheasants. One cock pheasant seemed to be almost tame and almost nonplussed at me being 3ft away.
Lots of red deer and rabbits.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1160 on: 25 March, 2010, 03:54:45 pm »
I saw two black pheasants on Sunday. A bit of a contrast with how colourful the males look at the moment.

« Reply #1161 on: 26 March, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »
Ashleworth Ham, here

I've just been on the phone to my mother (in Glos) who said she had just been over to see a GWE at Ashleworth.  I expressed suprise but then remembered that someone here had mentioned seeing one, and lo and behold it's this same one. 
What a fine bird it is too!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1162 on: 28 March, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »
Wild boar in the forest, shortly before dusk. Six or seven of them. They all turned to look at me as I stood stock still. After about a minute they decided I was harmless and turned round to continue eating. Then they all ran off in the opposite direction. First I've ever seen.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

border-rider

Re: Seen today - Sparrowhawk vs jackdaws
« Reply #1163 on: 04 April, 2010, 11:34:03 am »
FIIIGHT !

A sparrowhawk took one of our resident jackdaws this morning.  She had it on the ground and was just about start butchering it when the cavalry arrived.  A couple of jackdaws went straight in and started pecking the hawk, and about 100 more streamed out of the barn and wheeled overhead, making the most unholy noise and filling the sky.

In the end the hawk gave it up as a bad job and exited, pursued by an angry mob...

The original jackdaw flew away.

« Reply #1164 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:41:33 am »
3 (separate) barn owls tonight, and quite a number of bats, type unknown

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1165 on: 08 April, 2010, 02:55:14 pm »
Seeing urban foxes is not unusual in my part of the world, even in daylight, but they're usually to be seen bolting into gardens and so forth.  The other day, though, there was one trotting unconcernedly across Sainsbury's car park at about 3 pm.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1166 on: 10 April, 2010, 10:51:43 am »
Out on a pre breakfast spin, I was concentrating on picking a line between potholes, while being aware that a car was approaching from behind, when a deer broke loose from the woods and ran across the road in front almost under my front wheel. A bit close.

Earlier I saw some cows. In a field. 

Yes, Mrs. Hall was similarly unimpressed, but there were English Longhorns.  I do like those traditional breeds.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1167 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:45:00 am »
Some time over Easter Lt. Col. Larrington and I were sitting in his conservatory when a brown blur and a crashing of bushes signalled that a hen pheasant had failed to set down in his back garden.  Never seen a pheasant around those parts save as part of a Dinner.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1168 on: 12 April, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »
A goldfinch on the nyjer feeder on the patio.

This isn't so unusual, except that they've been missing since the bad weather.
 :D

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1169 on: 13 April, 2010, 12:30:48 pm »
On Saturday: several seals & a deer on the island at Bridge of Don, loadsa buzzards, larks, heard yellowhammers, bonkers lapwings, shelducks & hundreds of eiders on a beach.

And I saw a blue tit flying out of the nest box I put up a couple of months ago, so fingers crossed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1170 on: 13 April, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »
I wandered out to the shop earlier, and spotted a fox in the car park.  Spotted me, too, and seemed to lope off.  But when I got back, it was still wandering about.
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #1171 on: 14 April, 2010, 04:24:01 pm »
A huuuuge owl pellet in the yard.  That must be one big owl  :o

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1172 on: 14 April, 2010, 04:49:36 pm »
It's a football from your next door neighbour's Mallers. Throw it back.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

JJ

« Reply #1173 on: 14 April, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »
Day before yesterday really, but anyhow.

A BIG pod of dolphins fishing in between supertankers in the Bosphorus. (back home now  :'( )

plum

« Reply #1174 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:56:45 am »
What was it that I saw the other day while riding about?

Looked like a sausage dog version of a mouse, long extended body, about 10 inches total, didn't look like it had much of a tail. Bright orange!?