Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1019302 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #1200 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:23:10 am »
A grey squirrel perched on top of one of my neighbours fence posts making a hell of a racket, I think against an example of Felis Catus who was unconcernedly wandering off in the other direction.  I can't say I've ever heard a squirrel making quite such an odd sound.  Initially I wondered it if it was a large bird.  A very strange sound.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1201 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:34:52 am »
Right now (9.35am). Blackbird on top of an Elm tree singing his heart out trying to attract a mate or declare his territory. Beautiful sound.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1202 on: 23 April, 2010, 11:37:57 am »
A couple of deer wandering unconcernedly around the motorcycle training area next door to the office.  Though I bet as soon as there's any motorbike activity they'll be off like a shot and probably end up under a lorry on the A414 :-[

I've seen muntjac around these parts but these were full size proper bambis.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1203 on: 24 April, 2010, 10:11:07 pm »
Living: first swallows of the year, bullfinch, siskin, jays, buzzards, yellowhammers, deer gracefully jumping over a fence, (not so) wild boar, zillions of lambs.

Dead: badger, 3 deer (2 on railway track).

kevinp

« Reply #1204 on: 25 April, 2010, 09:12:49 am »
Stripy cows mmmmmmmmmm

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1205 on: 25 April, 2010, 09:26:24 am »
Belted Galloways, or 'Belties'. Not seen that much in Galloway, except at the Wigtown Show.
In the US these cows are often informally known as "police car cows,""panda cows" or "Oreo cows" after the Oreo cookie.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1206 on: 25 April, 2010, 12:25:14 pm »
On my ride to Blackheath at around 5-30am, I passed an amazingly cheeky fox.  I was just coming to the top of a bit of hill, around Sydenham iirc, so slowing slightly, and the fox who had been slowly wandering across the pavement, towards some houses, actually turned around and started to come towards me.

I'm guessing that it was reasonably used to humans, and maybe gets fed by someone, so when it saw me slowing, it thought that food was a possibility!  I quite often see foxes on my commute, but most of them are quite wary of people, and tend to run away.  The most "friendly" may stop and watch me pass, but normally fairly warily.  This is the first time I've seen one actually appear to decide to try and approach me.
Actually, it is rocket science.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1207 on: 25 April, 2010, 02:04:23 pm »
A (very nearly) kamikaze squirrel.His brakes were sharper than mine & he had a very impressively small turning circle :)

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #1208 on: 25 April, 2010, 07:49:20 pm »
2 Black Woodpeckers.

Thought they were crows or something when flying but were clearly woodpeckers when they landed on a tree.  Hadn't realised they were so big!  Usually tend to see Great Spotted Woodpeckers around the local forest.
AndyM

« Reply #1209 on: 25 April, 2010, 10:22:46 pm »
A not-barn owl between Bourne End and the next village at about 5 am on the last stretch of the Severn Across. It was sitting on the kerb, looked at me, realised I was quite close and flew off.

(Amazing wldlife identification, I know, but it was dark and I was tired)

fuzzy

« Reply #1210 on: 25 April, 2010, 10:38:50 pm »
A not-barn owl between Bourne End and the next village at about 5 am on the last stretch of the Severn Across. It was sitting on the kerb, looked at me, realised I was quite close and flew off.

Bourne End in Bucks? If so, were you heading West, towards Marlow?

fuzzy

« Reply #1211 on: 25 April, 2010, 10:39:26 pm »
The first bat of the year doing batobatics around the garden :thumbsup:

« Reply #1212 on: 25 April, 2010, 10:48:10 pm »

Bourne End in Bucks? If so, were you heading West, towards Marlow?

East, from Marlow, through Bourne End to, erm, erm... Broadthingy? (It's been a long sleepless weekend...)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1213 on: 25 April, 2010, 11:04:39 pm »
2 Black Woodpeckers.

Thought they were crows or something when flying but were clearly woodpeckers when they landed on a tree.  Hadn't realised they were so big!  Usually tend to see Great Spotted Woodpeckers around the local forest.
They are BIG, aren't they?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1214 on: 26 April, 2010, 12:42:10 am »
A very good view of a buzzard soaring over Stambridge Mills, less than 3 miles from Southend Town Centre.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1215 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:22:32 pm »
A rust coloured stoat or weasel, whichever is the larger.

This snake, which I think is an adder rather than a grass snake. It had been run over, which I didn't realise until I'd taken the picture, and was still alive so I dispatched it with a blow from lock.  :'(

« Reply #1216 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:28:54 pm »
With that pale patch on it's neck it looks more like a grass snake.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1217 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:37:28 pm »
With that pale patch on it's neck it looks more like a grass snake.
I've never seen either in the flesh and I thought the bright flash was a warning so my first thought was adder as I know they bite. That's why I didn't pick it up until I had killed it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1218 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:40:12 pm »
Yes, a grass snake.

I haven't seen one for a few years. Last year my brother came across one his his garden. It was almost certainly newly-hatched and he took some video of it which resides on his mobile phone. I'll see if Dez can put it on general release when we are next adjacent.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1219 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:41:54 pm »
I once saw a bird of prey take a grass snake from the verge on the side of a road. It flew off with the snake wriggling in its talons.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1220 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:39:03 pm »
These are remarkably difficult to get pictures of. Their speed reflects their name.. The two pictures are taken at about 0.3 sec apart. Cropped so you see pretty much the full resolution shot on a 135/2.8 manual lens at f5.6 with a flash. I'll try and do better at the weekend.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1221 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:53:07 pm »
That's early for Dundee ...

David Martin

« Reply #1222 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:59:24 pm »
I'm presuming there are no young yet as they weren't in and out the wholetime. Will try again at the weekend if the weather is good to get some better photos.

..d

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1223 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:06:26 pm »
What is it David?
edit: [oh sorry, I just got it]  :-[
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

David Martin

« Reply #1224 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:07:02 pm »
Swifts. Fantastic birds and very hard to capture.

..d