Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018549 times)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1900 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:10:29 pm »
A pair of Great Tits flying in an agitated fashion near a climb I was trying (and failing) to do.  Watching them a bit closer, and listening, it became apparent that they were nesting in a crack in the rock, halfway up the next climb (Pine Crack at Stone Farm).
Which route were you on, Tim? Haven't climbed there for years

« Reply #1901 on: 23 May, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »
Scruffy little long-tailed tits in considerable numbers raiding the hydrangea just outside our window, bold as brass and not put off by three of us watching from about three feet away.  A bit later I went out to inspect the plant and realised that the birds must have been feasting on scae insects - or at least grabbing them ad carrying them home to their young.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1902 on: 23 May, 2011, 08:13:16 pm »
A pair of Great Tits flying in an agitated fashion near a climb I was trying (and failing) to do.  Watching them a bit closer, and listening, it became apparent that they were nesting in a crack in the rock, halfway up the next climb (Pine Crack at Stone Farm).
Which route were you on, Tim? Haven't climbed there for years

Stone Farm Crack, next to Cat Wall, but couldn't get off the ground. I think they're using 11.4m/s^2 for gravity instead of the more usual 9.8. In reality it's a year or more since I was there and I'm not as bendy & stretchy as I once was. Erosion means the starts of many climbs are further up, IYSWIM. Managed, after a fashion, Pinnacle Buttress which is shown as 5a in my tattered guide book.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1903 on: 23 May, 2011, 09:54:04 pm »
We now have a pair of bullfinches (Mr and Mrs).  Haven't seen any of those for years.  The bastard squirrels have also found the seed and are arriving four at a time; Cat minor is doing a reasonable job of chasing them back up the tree.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1904 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »
Peregrine, having a cr@p.  Little ringed plover.  Lots of seabirds (guillemot; razorbill; kittiwake; shag).  Staggering quantities of thrift.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1905 on: 25 May, 2011, 09:58:22 am »
Well, actually seen on Sunday to be precise. Wasp nest in our garden. Domed paper nest is currently about 80mm wide x 100mm deep. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on it methinks.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

rogerzilla

« Reply #1906 on: 25 May, 2011, 05:53:09 pm »
A buzzard, flying 18" off the ground (wings almost touching the tarmac) and about 10 yards in front of my bike.  Then it veered off through a gap in the hedge and, once it was above the field, slowed down so we could have a good look at each other.  Then it was off.

border-rider

« Reply #1907 on: 25 May, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »
Sure it was a buzzard & not a goshawk ? They tend to fly like that; they sometimes surf down the road in front of the car on the displaced air wave

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1908 on: 26 May, 2011, 02:25:30 pm »
Seen today in my garden as I was coming back from a walk with both doggies

Fortunately I managed to hustle both doggies inside before they saw him/her. Poppy the Cockapoo would have liked nothing better than to snap up a baby blue tit. She and Lucy were kept inside until he hopped away into the hedge. Hope he's OK.

We had bluetits nesting above our shed but I hadn't realised they had managed to raise a chick to fledging stage already.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

rogerzilla

« Reply #1909 on: 26 May, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »
Sure it was a buzzard & not a goshawk ? They tend to fly like that; they sometimes surf down the road in front of the car on the displaced air wave
Looked too brown for a goshawk, although they are the same sort of shape.

Riggers

« Reply #1910 on: 27 May, 2011, 08:54:24 am »
M'wasp nest. And you can see what busy bees they've been, and continue to be…

border-rider

« Reply #1911 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:05:27 am »
The queen wasps were very active here a month or 6 weeks ago; lots of small nests appeared, just a couple of cm in diameter, over one weekend inside my sheds and in the attic.  I knocked them all down as they started and they've not reformed.  Just one in a chimney left that I can't reach.

Interesting to see an outside nest, riggers.  I've only ever seen them inside buildings, where they're protected from the elements

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1912 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:51:48 am »
Looked too brown for a goshawk, although they are the same sort of shape.

Goshawk females are browner and bigger than the males. The keys are deep chest, eyebrow, and tail length, in that sort of view.

Riggers

« Reply #1913 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:03:32 am »
The queen wasps were very active here a month or 6 weeks ago; lots of small nests appeared, just a couple of cm in diameter, over one weekend inside my sheds and in the attic.  I knocked them all down as they started and they've not reformed.  Just one in a chimney left that I can't reach.

Interesting to see an outside nest, riggers.  I've only ever seen them inside buildings, where they're protected from the elements

Seems to be a hive of activity. I think I might have to cut off the branch and ship the whole thing somewhere else, most probably at night when it's colder and they're inactive. Trouble is we only have a small garden, and we use it all. So… means going through the house, and we live in a town. Nearest rough ground is a good half-mile away. So do I walk or take the car? Hmmmm… interesting. A recipe for disaster or huge comedic potential. And no, I don't own a video camera for possible You've been framed. It'll be you've been stung.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1914 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:53:52 am »
We had a few queens trying to get into the building here at work about a month or so back.  Fortunately, they were all dissuaded.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

« Reply #1915 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:31:19 am »
We had a few queens trying to get into the building here at work about a month or so back.  Fortunately, they were all dissuaded.

/resists obvious joke

Riggers

« Reply #1916 on: 27 May, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »
Hmmmmm, some of the flight patterns of my wasps do look a tad 'mincy'. Should I be concerned.

worried of Brighton

AndyK

« Reply #1917 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:00:02 pm »
Anyone know what this is? My neighbour found it on their plants. It's about 8mm long. thought perhaps a young 'Devil's Coachman'.

Riggers

« Reply #1918 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »
Or young ladybird* larvae.

*No, not lady boy

rogerzilla

« Reply #1919 on: 27 May, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »
Anyone know what this is? My neighbour found it on their plants. It's about 8mm long. thought perhaps a young 'Devil's Coachman'.

Any unidentified bug is a "Blood Sucker".  Trufax.

border-rider

« Reply #1920 on: 27 May, 2011, 04:24:19 pm »
Or young ladybird* larvae.

^This, I'm pretty sure.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1921 on: 27 May, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »
There's only one  :P

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #1922 on: 28 May, 2011, 08:20:02 am »
Male Gtr spotted woodpecker feeding it's young on our feeders, said youngster then slipped under my sparrow-netting defences around my veg patch to investigate my carrots and beetroots, a sample of one "proving" woodpeckers are much cleverer than sparrows?

Off dormousing now, so best wake up the hounds.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1923 on: 28 May, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »
Quite a few youngsters hopping around the garden this morning - dunnocks, great tits, blue tits and robin.  The local neighbourhood moggie is getting a lot of attention from the parents.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #1924 on: 28 May, 2011, 06:21:44 pm »
Magpies.

I love them.