Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1019510 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1925 on: 28 May, 2011, 06:23:59 pm »
Magpies.

I love them.

I've never tasted one

« Reply #1926 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:05:53 pm »
A pair of long tailed tits in the garden. Infrequent visitors to our garden though we get all the other tits bar crested tits.;
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1927 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »
Depending where you live, your nearest crested tits are either Scotland or Calais.

« Reply #1928 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »
Depending where you live, your nearest crested tits are either Scotland or Calais.

Scotland then.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1929 on: 31 May, 2011, 08:47:03 pm »
A pair of long tailed tits in the garden. Infrequent visitors to our garden though we get all the other tits bar crested tits.;

Bearded?

« Reply #1930 on: 31 May, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »
No not them either so that's two types we don't get. Oh hang on no marsh or willow tits either. So that s four. Maybe I should have said all the common ones.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #1931 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:09:46 pm »
Saw a Ring Necked Parakeet , presumably young , with its head sticking out of the nest hole (in a tree) . Another , presumably adult  , flew up to it but did not feed it , perhaps just trying to encourage the young one to leave the nest.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #1932 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:42:01 pm »
Great Spotted Woodpeckers on one of our feeders....

Over the last week we've seen a male and female returning for the peanuts. Beautiful sight, the birds that is, not the peanuts.
 :)

oh and a Bullfinch which we hardly ever see.

Books are for tourists...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1933 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:04:05 pm »
A seagull repeatedly trying to get something out of a tree in a neighbour's garden - maybe a fledgling?

« Reply #1934 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:08:46 am »
Last night, on the commute home, I saw two fox cubs on Tooting Bec Common.  At first I thought they were rabbits (although it would be a very odd place to see them), but when one ran not too far from me, I realised they were small foxes.  I'd surprised an adult fox just the other side of the bridge, so that might have been Mum.  Whilst I often see foxes on the commute, that's the first time I've seen cubs.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1935 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:11:17 am »
I would have thought Tooting Common would be perfect for raising cubs, with plenty of cover and easy access to food.  There's no cubs at the end of our garden this year, which is just as well for the vegetable plot, but a shame nonetheless, as it was fun watching them play in the garden.
Getting there...

« Reply #1936 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:48:10 am »
A dolphin  :thumbsup:
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1937 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
Damn, can't beat that.

I have, however, just rescued an ant from our studio floor, and put him back outside.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1938 on: 01 June, 2011, 01:03:36 pm »
Last night, on the commute home, I saw two fox cubs on Tooting Bec Common.  At first I thought they were rabbits (although it would be a very odd place to see them), but when one ran not too far from me, I realised they were small foxes.  I'd surprised an adult fox just the other side of the bridge, so that might have been Mum.  Whilst I often see foxes on the commute, that's the first time I've seen cubs.

A few years ago, I spent an hour watching a vixen playing with her four cubs in my back garden. It was dusk at midsummer. The undergrowth behind our garden has been cut back and I've seen no cubs of late.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1939 on: 01 June, 2011, 02:57:18 pm »
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1940 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »
A cartload of Sawfly caterpillars, busy eating the leaves of our Solomon's Seal. Stripped some of it to nothing already.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1941 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:40:49 pm »
Frog in our garden tonight.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1942 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:01:32 pm »
Bye bye slugs!!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1943 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »
A dolphin  :thumbsup:

We've just been watching several dolphins & a seal in the harbour alongside our office. Normally the dolphins are seen at the harbour mouth or just outside.

« Reply #1944 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:09:09 pm »
A very big beetle in my back garden. I took a picture, which I may post later.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1945 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:10:28 pm »
Well, Ringo Starr's about to do a tour, but he was the smallest Beetle.

Oh.

I see what I've done.

IGMC
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1946 on: 02 June, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »
The queen wasps were very active here a month or 6 weeks ago; lots of small nests appeared, just a couple of cm in diameter, over one weekend inside my sheds and in the attic.  I knocked them all down as they started and they've not reformed.  Just one in a chimney left that I can't reach.

Interesting to see an outside nest, riggers.  I've only ever seen them inside buildings, where they're protected from the elements

About 20 years ago I had 3 small beehives, the results of a queen-rearing course I'd been on at Writtle Ag. college. They were arranged in a small amongst some trees in my parents' garden some distance from the main honey producing hives. My dad started complaining he'd been stung a few times when working near them, which would have defeated the object because one of the main characteristics one tries to avoid when rearing queens is a tendency to sting.

The next time I went to my parents', I investigated and discovered the culprits: a wasp's nest in a very similar evergreen bush to Riggers', only about 10' from my bee hives! That's also the only "outdoor" wasps' nest I've seen.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1947 on: 03 June, 2011, 04:08:08 pm »
Red kites, scores of them.  They are great to watch but I can see them being declared a pest in 10 years' time, because they are now trying to get food off the plate; a bit scary when something has a 5' wingspan.  They seem to have doubled in number in the last year in the Chilterns, and have made it as far west as Uffington White Horse (I even saw one circling over Didcot station last month).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #1948 on: 03 June, 2011, 04:57:51 pm »
Red kites, scores of them.  They are great to watch but I can see them being declared a pest in 10 years' time, because they are now trying to get food off the plate
Strange coincidence - just got off M40 at J6 near Chinnor and there were piles in the sky.  A few years ago they could be seen on the Ridgeway near to Goring.  Now they're overhead in Pangbourne/Whitchurch-on-Thames most days and local farmers are already complaining about them.  It'll be less than 10 years.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #1949 on: 03 June, 2011, 07:59:21 pm »
i see them quit often here in slough  :o. they must be lost ;D
the slower you go the more you see