Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018524 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1950 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:34:49 pm »
i see them quit often here in slough  :o. they must be lost ;D

Slough's enough to make anyone want to quit ;D
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1951 on: 04 June, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »
Apparently numbers increased by 130% in the last year  :o

If they ban people from feeding them then they should spread out; the only reason places like Watlington can sustain such a ridiculous density is that they are being fed for entertainment. 

The Torygraph, predictably, reports a scare story that they are stealing children's lunches and that farmers and the RAF want to see them "removed" from the Chilterns; obviously many of its readers belong to the shooting fraternity.  As they're too weak to kill livestock and are unlikely to get in the way of one of the helicopters from Benson*, there isn't really a case to answer.

*if there were fixed-wing aircraft, maybe a flock of kites could cause havoc with the engines, but these are Sea Kings and the like; the kites clear off as soon as they hear one coming.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1952 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »
I believe the pigeon-sized bird of prey I saw diving after something in Chalfont Lane was a sparrowhawk.

« Reply #1953 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:25:37 pm »
3 deer in next door's garden.  (We back on to a mahoosive forest).

border-rider

« Reply #1954 on: 05 June, 2011, 09:10:27 pm »
.... have made it as far west as Uffington White Horse (I even saw one circling over Didcot station last month).

I saw one over Didcot for the first time about 15 years ago.  There were several  in the Lambourn valley 5 years ago.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1955 on: 05 June, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »
Oystercatcher chicks. Heard a cuckoo on Cairn o'Mount.

« Reply #1956 on: 05 June, 2011, 10:07:41 pm »
The Torygraph, predictably, reports a scare story that they are stealing children's lunches and that farmers and the RAF want to see them "removed" from the Chilterns; obviously many of its readers belong to the shooting fraternity.  As they're too weak to kill livestock and are unlikely to get in the way of one of the helicopters from Benson*, there isn't really a case to answer.
Mrs B & I saw a ploughman followed by a flock of kites once, & stopped to watch. When he reached the end of a furrow at our end of the field, he stopped to talk to us. He liked the kites, enjoyed having them follow the plough, & was well aware of their harmlessness. His only objection was to the people who fed them. He felt it was bad for the birds, causing overcrowding & discouraging them from spreading out.

We see them over our house most days - in Reading. They got here a long time ago, & have been south of the M4 for at least a couple of years.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1957 on: 05 June, 2011, 10:43:58 pm »
My mum saw a kingfisher today on the Huddersfield canal.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1958 on: 06 June, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
I believe the pigeon-sized bird of prey I saw diving after something in Chalfont Lane was a sparrowhawk.

Female a lot bigger than the male. Look for a very peculiarly sparrowhawky level flight characteristic, "flap-flap-glide, flap-flap-glide"

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1959 on: 10 June, 2011, 08:14:54 pm »
Sitting on the top floor of my hotel in Toronto last night I saw grey feathers fluttering past the window.

A few minutes later I saw a Peregrine flying by.

Could the two be related?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1960 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:25:14 am »
Two magpies are having a very noisy fight in the space in front of my basement flat.  There's a nest in the rowan tree in front of the house and they're noisy creatures as a rule.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1961 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:45:18 am »
The other day I saw either a swallow or a housemartin swooping over the burn and catching insects. I didn't get a good enough view to be sure which one it was. It definitely wasn't Norman Cook though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1962 on: 11 June, 2011, 11:14:02 am »
One of the few remaining UK ruddy ducks, on the River Wye.  There is an ethnic cleansing programme to get rid of them, apparently.

« Reply #1963 on: 11 June, 2011, 02:12:54 pm »
We've got Red Kites over head right now.  Can't believe we have them in the Vale of Pewsey.  At least a pair circling over head.  One came down very low hence I saw it out the rear French door window but it was being harried by a crow.
I tried to take a picture but it is too sunny.
Beautiful tail and the white triangles under the wings were very clear.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1964 on: 11 June, 2011, 08:16:11 pm »
Mrs Z saw a pair of red kites between our village and Swindon today - she had to almost stop the car to check whether they had forked tails or not.  They tend to drive out the buzzards, which would be a shame as we have three of those in the area.

She also saw a jay flying across the M4 slip road (!).  I love jays; they're just so exotic looking.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1965 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »
Poppies growing in the verges & fields near Epworth & Shireoaks.A lovely splash of brilliant red amongst the greenery.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1966 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:50:30 pm »
A pair of muntjacs ran across the road in front of Peli and me today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1967 on: 12 June, 2011, 08:28:49 am »
Illegal immigrants!  I hate muntjacs; they're a real pest in some areas and they're ugly to boot.

« Reply #1968 on: 12 June, 2011, 08:45:48 am »
Illegal immigrants!  I hate muntjacs; they're a real pest in some areas and they're ugly to boot.

More ecologic migrants really.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1969 on: 12 June, 2011, 01:01:48 pm »
Loadsa jackdaws going bonkers around the back gardens today. I wonder if they're trying to flush out fledglings from the trees?

« Reply #1970 on: 12 June, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »
Wow thats amazing just been having that conversation with the missus re larger birds congregating on back garden.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

« Reply #1971 on: 12 June, 2011, 02:34:12 pm »
Yesterday, a weasel dashing across the road.  Quite comical.  The sun was behind us so its red colour was quite obvious; normally you just see a dark bouncing streak.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1972 on: 12 June, 2011, 02:44:58 pm »
yesterday: a squirrel in Clumber Park messing with his nuts on the verge

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1973 on: 12 June, 2011, 11:15:06 pm »
Peregrines & a dragonfly in the centre of the city (the latter in the busy, but probably condemned Union Terrace Gardens).

« Reply #1974 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:43:03 pm »
A baby heron in Carshalton ponds :D. I saw it last week, but too briefly to be certain. It was there again today 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.