Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018589 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1975 on: 18 June, 2011, 03:36:27 pm »
Over the past 2 weeks, whilst on holiday in beautiful but damp Dumfries and Galloway, loads of whitethroat and blackcap, an adder, several cinnabar moths, lots of shrews and voles, lone sightings of cuckoo and spotted flycatcher, and most intriguingly, what appeared to be a nesting whooper swan.  A spot of googling has just confirmed this as a possibility.
Aero but not dynamic

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1976 on: 20 June, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »
A dead tree with about 10 cormorants sitting in it.  Around a Berkshire gravel pit.  Surreal.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1977 on: 21 June, 2011, 06:34:59 am »
Yesterday, about a dozen storks - in Germany. Wow, they're big!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1978 on: 21 June, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »
200-odd swans on the Tweed at Berwick

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1979 on: 21 June, 2011, 10:01:51 pm »
A seal with a fish in its mouth in the Medway.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #1980 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »
I clapped my eyes on a white rabbit today. Not unusual on the pennine moors in winter though their brown this time of the year and this was in rural Chester. Maybe it was an domestic rabbit got free ? Do we have wild white rabbits in parts of Chester ? I don't  know, though I haven't seen one before.

border-rider

« Reply #1981 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:17:12 pm »
I've seen the odd white rabbit in the wild too

I suppose they're either domestic escapees (or been dumped) or the offspring of

« Reply #1982 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:18:40 pm »
A dead tree with about 10 cormorants sitting in it.  Around a Berkshire gravel pit.  Surreal.

There's a drought down there, isn't there?  Fish will be hard to come by.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #1983 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:23:11 pm »
A few weeks/months ? ago I saw a pair of Mallard with 11 small chicks. Today in the same place I saw a group of 12 Mallard with no adult male. I assume I was looking at the same adult female with all 11 young (male and female looking the same at this stage) still alive.
Quite remarkable
And beautiful
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1984 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:40:06 pm »
Sitting on the top floor of my hotel in Toronto last night I saw grey feathers fluttering past the window.

A few minutes later I saw a Peregrine flying by.

Could the two be related?

Back in Toronto this week. On the desk in my room is a card announcing the hotel's new arrivals with a picture. 4 fluffy Peregrine chicks :)

Same thing happened last year as well so I guess it's a permanent resident which is nice.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1985 on: 26 June, 2011, 06:49:35 pm »
A redstart.  Just a fleeting glimpse but nice to see.  I've never yet seen a redstart whilst on foot, every sighting has been from the bike.
Aero but not dynamic

AndyK

« Reply #1986 on: 26 June, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »
Saw a sparrow yesterday. First time I've seen a sparrow in a long time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1987 on: 27 June, 2011, 08:52:53 am »
At the pub in Naburn, Butterfly spotted a noisy fledgling sparrow demanding food, and a parent feeding it.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1988 on: 27 June, 2011, 01:05:26 pm »
A red kite over the motorway embankment west of Slough on Saturday morning. I understand they're becoming quite common here now, but that's the first one I've seen (identified) in England.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1989 on: 27 June, 2011, 02:04:38 pm »
Last night, I saw a swift in my next-door neighbours' kitchen. Poor thing had flown in through the attic window then got panicked, & couldn't find its way out through the doors & windows they left wide open for it. They asked for my help.

It had ended up perched on a pot plant, cowering behind it in a corner. I picked up the plant & carried it outside. The sun was down, but the sky was still light. I expected the swift to fly away as soon as it was outside, but it clung to the plant, so I put a finger under it & gently lifted it. When it had to choose between transferring its grip to my finger and flying, it chose the latter: circled a couple of times, then seemed to get its bearings & flew off.

I'd never touched a swift before.

[edit]Forgot to add: we saw a sparrowhawk hunting on Sunday, very close. Mrs B expressed regret that we didn't stop to see if was successful.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1990 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:46:21 am »
A dead pigeon under the bird feeders. No obvious signs of injury on it.

A very torpid bee in a foxglove flower.

We have the Garden of Death  :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1991 on: 29 June, 2011, 02:22:58 pm »
@Bledlow.

When I was quite young i remember a swift on the ground in our garden. It was unable to take off.

We caught it and threw it into the air and of it zoomed. No idea why it landed.

Swifts are surprisingly large when you see them up close - their wingspan is well over a foot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1992 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:47:55 pm »

The bee was yesterday. I went and looked to see if it was still there this afternoon (I got bored during a teleconference about water shut off in wells and suddenly remembered I was going to check) and it was not, so I would like to think it was having a wee sleep.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1993 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:33:47 pm »

The bee was yesterday. I went and looked to see if it was still there this afternoon (I got bored during a teleconference about water shut off in wells and suddenly remembered I was going to check) and it was not, so I would like to think it was having a wee sleep.

Porbably eaten (and causing a chain reaction of secondary DETH;)

« Reply #1994 on: 01 July, 2011, 12:14:38 am »
@Bledlow.

When I was quite young i remember a swift on the ground in our garden. It was unable to take off.

We caught it and threw it into the air and of it zoomed. No idea why it landed.

Swifts are surprisingly large when you see them up close - their wingspan is well over a foot.
I noticed that this one went down (I'd put the plant pot on the garden wall, & the swift was maybe 5' off the ground), before flying upwards.

Yes, I was a little surprised at its size.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1995 on: 03 July, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »
We had a swimming gala last night as Mrs G was very stressed up to the last minute with kids dropping out, so she asked me to walk her dog quickly before we left for the pool.  To save time and make it easier I took him into the field opposite.  It is a very large area, more a combination of fields with electric fences.  It is used by diary cows to graze.
As I got into the middle I heard a bird of prey noise and noted it was excessive but didn't really twig at first.  The closer I got to the tree line the louder it got.  So I kept walking towards the noise.  Luckily the dog was not bothered.

I then found this:

I could see a parent flying above so I moved away but was concerned as this little beauty was making a right din.  But due to time I couldn't ring any one for advice as we had to leave. 

When I got home some several hours later and before it was truly dark I ran back over but it was gone.  There was no puff of feathers left behind so I am hoping it flew away and was not carried by a predator.

As I went back towards home I startled 2 baby badgers too.  Luckily I had left the mutt at home this time.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1996 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:56:19 am »
I wanna baby badger.

Yesterday I saw a red sqrl :D

anna squashed adder :(

« Reply #1997 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:23:49 pm »
I wanna baby badger.

What about a baby badger and a baby otter ? <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwbVQetLqfM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TwbVQetLqfM&rel=1</a>
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1998 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:31:18 pm »
I saw the Cheddar Gorge Peregrine Falcon this morning. It was making a really loud noise right up at the top of the cliff. I thought the noise was coming from my BB initially because it seemed in time with my pedal strokes!
The RSPB seem to be doing a very good job of protecting the birds and their nest, they are keeping an almost permanent guard on the site.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1999 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:45:25 pm »
I wanna baby badger.

What about a baby badger and a baby otter ? <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwbVQetLqfM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TwbVQetLqfM&rel=1</a>

*broody!*