Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018258 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2000 on: 04 July, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
On Thursday evening, our tai chi class went out onto the school field to do a set.

Across the other side of the field, in the late evening sun, were four foxes all lined up just as if to do some tai chi.
This miring, in the park, we heard what sounded like an alarm call, but it wasn't the right tone for either a blackbird or a greater spotted woodpecker. On closer inspection the noises were coming from a family of black-caps cavorting around in the branches of an oak tree.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2001 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »
A Bar Headed Goose on the Thames in Kingston ( upon Thames)
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

border-rider

« Reply #2002 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »
A lovely pink Jay sitting in the tree outside my office window this afternoon.  Only the second I've seen here.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2003 on: 10 July, 2011, 10:11:39 am »
They're my favourite birds.

We now have a humungous woodpecker visiting the bird nuts, and Mrs & Mrs Bullfinch have produced a juvenile.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2004 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:36:03 am »
A peregrine above the back gardens, circling among a group of swifts.

border-rider

« Reply #2005 on: 11 July, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »
A  weasel.  Dead, courtesy of A Cat.  That's quite impressive.

« Reply #2006 on: 11 July, 2011, 04:00:29 pm »
Has the cat in question got the bite marks to prove it or did the weasel die of other causes?

« Reply #2007 on: 11 July, 2011, 04:00:34 pm »
A rather hansom bantam cockerel in our garden today. No idea who's he is. He wasn't very tame and was extremely quick. I tried to catch him but he was off and garden hopping. Hope he gets home before Mr Fox finds him. Our ladies didn't seem over impressed with him.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LindaG

« Reply #2008 on: 11 July, 2011, 04:04:51 pm »
A rather hansom bantam cockerel in our garden today. No idea who's he is. He wasn't very tame and was extremely quick. I tried to catch him but he was off and garden hopping. Hope he gets home before Mr Fox finds him. Our ladies didn't seem over impressed with him.

Small cock syndrome?

border-rider

« Reply #2009 on: 11 July, 2011, 04:06:28 pm »
Has the cat in question got the bite marks to prove it or did the weasel die of other causes?

One of them's in a very funny mood, so possibly so.  They're not usually interested in already-dead things anyway, and the weasel looks to have had the back of its neck bitten out, which is the usual way they finish off prey

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2010 on: 11 July, 2011, 06:10:27 pm »
A  weasel.  Dead, courtesy of A Cat.  That's quite impressive.

Some time during the 1970s, one Sunday morning our then dog spent a considerable period of time barking at and generally worrying a redundant farmyard pump which my dad had hoped to return to its former glory. Eventually, fed up with the noise, my dad upturned the pump and a weasel slithered out. There was a brief but violent encounter which resulted in a dead weasel and a dog with a bleeding black bit to his nose.

My older brother was around at the time and we successfully passed the weasel's corpse through his wedding ring, just to test out the old wives' tale.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #2011 on: 11 July, 2011, 06:15:11 pm »
Weasel goes through pump and wedding ring lol

Are you sure it wasn't on Looney Tunes ?

« Reply #2012 on: 11 July, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »

Just seen someone I know walking their dog. Turns out its one of their cockerels. They had two (by accident they wanted hens) and were pulling their necks yesterday. One ended up in the pot and one escaped. So Mr Cockerels best plan is to keep running and hiding. Good luck to him :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2013 on: 11 July, 2011, 09:09:35 pm »

Small cock syndrome?

;D ;D ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2014 on: 11 July, 2011, 09:17:32 pm »
Our woodpecker turns out to be a young Great Spotted. I'm sure there's a Green around here too, because it's incredibly noisy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #2015 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:25:46 pm »
Barnes reserve on Sunday. Very quiet...then spotted a green sandpiper, loads of warblers feeding young and finally, six black-tailed godwits in summer plumage flew in.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2016 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:29:43 pm »
My mum says there are two or three sparrows in her garden which come down into the hen run and steal feathers from the ground. They fly up to the fence with them and sit for a while turning the feathers over and over in their beaks. Some of them they discard and then try another one, some of them they fly away with.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2017 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »
Our woodpecker turns out to be a young Great Spotted. I'm sure there's a Green around here too, because it's incredibly noisy.

It's a distinctive call for sure.  On early morning rides through Richmond Park they are often to be seen in the grass verges - Green Woodpeckers being ground feeders much more than other woodpeckers.  I get them in my garden from time to time rifling through the moss on the crap patio.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2018 on: 12 July, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »
Juvenile partridge in our garden. The dog caught it briefly, then it go away. I posted the doginside the house and then wafted the partridge through the fence to the wheat field next door.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2019 on: 13 July, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »
Autumn colours  :(

In fact they started to appear early June soon after some exceptional gales - I assume they've been caused by wind damage.  We noticed them particularly whilst on holiday in Dumfries & Galloway where all the trees near the sea were totally scorched on the seaward side.  Caused by salt spray ?  But these ones outside Edinburgh today are some miles from the sea.

Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #2020 on: 13 July, 2011, 07:38:48 pm »
green woodpecker in the park near slough on ncn61 on a dead branch woodpeckering  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

AndyK

« Reply #2021 on: 13 July, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »
Taken on Monday. (only just got back from mid-Wales, on Sustrans route 2B, where uploading and internet options are none, and none). Rosebay Willowherb.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2022 on: 13 July, 2011, 10:39:52 pm »
I saw 3 birds of prey today
1 near Newport
1 in Loggerheads
1 in the Jodrell Bank vicinity

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2023 on: 14 July, 2011, 04:34:55 pm »
An ickle hedgehog, tucking into roadkill. We persuaded it to move on before the inevitable.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2024 on: 15 July, 2011, 09:59:06 am »
Two red kites over Bramham crossroads (where the A64 crosses the A1) on the way home from work yesterday.