Author Topic: Where do permanent Events start from and go - can you help?  (Read 36342 times)

Phil W

Re: Where do permanent Events start from and go - can you help?
« Reply #125 on: 02 October, 2018, 03:58:50 pm »
Fantastic work.

It is easy to spot errors now though, noticed quite a few.

Will you still be updating from the original spreadsheet linked at the beginning of this thread?

Yes keep updating that and I will pull fresh copies about once a week or so.

« Reply #126 on: 02 October, 2018, 04:04:38 pm »
How do you use the mobile version? I can see numbers in green circles, but tapping then just takes me to the filter view. How do you then select a route to see where it goes?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Phil W

« Reply #127 on: 02 October, 2018, 04:12:49 pm »
How do you use the mobile version? I can see numbers in green circles, but tapping then just takes me to the filter view. How do you then select a route to see where it goes?

Tap on an event or control on the map. That will open the menu (filter view as you call it) with the event or list of events above the filters. Tap on an event in that list to bring up its detail.  Tapping the clusters with numbers should zoom you in, well it does on my old 32 bit 3-gen iPad and my Android phone.

« Reply #128 on: 02 October, 2018, 04:29:16 pm »
Thanks, just user error. Looks like it’ll be useful, so thanks for all the effort in putting it together.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Phil W

« Reply #129 on: 02 October, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »
If you spot errors then do either correct in the spreadsheet linked in first post on here. Or you can email duff-data@long-distance.rocks with enough detail for a correction to be made.

I have noticed A&S 400 gors to Wells near Cheddar.  So can correct that when i get a chance to update the spreadsheet myself.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #130 on: 02 October, 2018, 05:08:21 pm »
I'm not sure if I don't know how to use it, or I'm just using it wrong.

When I zoom in on an area, then click on a dot to show rides near that control, if I click on a ride and then go back to the menu, there doesn't seem to be anyway of getting back to my original "show dots on the map" view without clicking "All filtered events", which then jumps me back out to the zoomed out map again.

Am I just doing it wrong?

« Reply #131 on: 02 October, 2018, 05:34:17 pm »
Nice. I’ve already found a few rides I didn’t know existed.

I concur with Hulver’s comment above. If you could make it one click to get from control to seeing the route (when there’s only one) and one click to get back from there to browsing (without the position changing), that would be awesome.

Also, could the clustering be dialled back a bit when zoomed in?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #132 on: 02 October, 2018, 05:51:59 pm »
Will correct Snow Roads Rhynie control which seems to have moved to Wales.
ETA: Done, on spreadsheet.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #133 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »
If you spot errors then do either correct in the spreadsheet linked in first post on here. Or you can email duff-data@long-distance.rocks with enough detail for a correction to be made.
Quick thought about the errors; the majority tend to show up as enormous "legs" in the route. Is it worth running a rough analysis of your routes just looking for legs > XYZkm ?

(of course that would mean YOU fixing them, rather than getting the CROWD to fix them!  :hand:  :)  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #134 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
Quick thought about the errors; the majority tend to show up as enormous "legs" in the route. Is it worth running a rough analysis of your routes just looking for legs > XYZkm ?

(of course that would mean YOU fixing them, rather than getting the CROWD to fix them!  :hand:  :)  )

Well Matt you could download the spreadsheet which has all the data you need and do that yourself if you want to get ahead of the crowd :hand: ;D

Phil W

« Reply #135 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:31:04 pm »
Nice. I’ve already found a few rides I didn’t know existed.

I concur with Hulver’s comment above. If you could make it one click to get from control to seeing the route (when there’s only one) and one click to get back from there to browsing (without the position changing), that would be awesome.

Also, could the clustering be dialled back a bit when zoomed in?

Not going to touch the mapping code for a while now, but noted.  Will take a look at latest data tomorrow as I last pulled the mapping copy last Thu. Be nice to refresh with latest updates.

Phil W

« Reply #136 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:34:46 pm »
@Matt The checking for obvious over distance events (due incorrect lat / lon of one or more controls) was on our list. Will see about adding something into the script that refreshes the data. I have had the equations for the distance calc open in a browser window for long enough.

Then any that come out in the list you can work on correcting.  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #137 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:51:49 pm »
@Matt The checking for obvious over distance events (due incorrect lat / lon of one or more controls) was on our list.

Doh!  :facepalm:

Yes of course - over-distance total is a much better way of checking. Touché!

(EDIT: I've emailed an error, no Geocode sorry ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #138 on: 02 October, 2018, 06:57:35 pm »
Just had a quick look on my Android phone (Moto G5) and it works very well. Good work Phil and helpers.

If anyone is correcting stuff now, the "Medway Meander" has an incorrect control - World of Water should be near Tenterden iirc.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #139 on: 02 October, 2018, 07:48:42 pm »
Seatoller had slipped a long way south.  I think that I have corrected it.

« Reply #140 on: 02 October, 2018, 08:17:12 pm »
I've just emailed McDuff with three corrections.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #141 on: 02 October, 2018, 08:55:14 pm »
Cracking work.

FYI "Round the Plains", "Le Tour des Neuf Chevaux Blancs" and "Denmead 600" all have controls in WIlton in Hampshire but the map is showing them as Wilton in Cumbria
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #142 on: 02 October, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
I seem to have mapped Lochinver to a house in Potters Bar...
In the scheme of missmappings it's never going to get near the worse I've ever managed; but I do work in Healthcare IT so...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #143 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:02:43 pm »
Just had a quick look on my Android phone (Moto G5) and it works very well. Good work Phil and helpers.

If anyone is correcting stuff now, the "Medway Meander" has an incorrect control - World of Water should be near Tenterden iirc.

Have corrected starting at the bottom and got here.

The current mapping is to World of Water in Watford at 51.686506,-0.432595
Searching for World of Water Tenterden gives me 51.036408, 0.611421 which is World of Water Rolvenden!
Which I've changed it to.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #144 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:13:43 pm »

I have noticed A&S 400 gors to Wells near Cheddar.  So can correct that when i get a chance to update the spreadsheet myself.

Just differentiated between "Wells (Somerset)" and "Wells Next The Sea" in that fashion
Also spotted a Wick in one of the South West rides and it wasn't long enough to be Wick, Caithness so that's also been differentiated in similar manner

« Reply #145 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:20:08 pm »
Looks like all rides with Ingleton as a control are using the one in County Durham rather than the one in Yorkshire.

Not the first time the mistake's been made, but it's usually the other way around... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-27883768

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #146 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:23:30 pm »
I've corrected Hatton on the spreadsheet, from the one near Warwick to the one between Uttoxeter & Burton on Trent.

This is a great piece of work Phil, anyone that rides perms away from their local area will find this very useful.
I've been looking for a possible route to use in a couple of weeks from near Goldalming, an area i know nothing about about. It took me less than a minute of looking at your map to find a suitable one.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #147 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:23:50 pm »
Cracking work.

FYI "Round the Plains", "Le Tour des Neuf Chevaux Blancs" and "Denmead 600" all have controls in WIlton in Hampshire but the map is showing them as Wilton in Cumbria

I was just coming on to mention those. I notice the Tour des Neuf Chevaux Blancs has Uffington somewhere in the east midlands rather than in Wiltshire as well.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #148 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:38:18 pm »
There's also an Uffington on the "South East Oxford Loop" although it starts at Cheltenham so would they both be Wiltshire one?

Hatton appears in both the "National Arboretum Permanent" from Derbyshire
and the "Totmonslow" from Macclesfield
So reckon that ones ok as remapped.

Ingleton
Now mapped seperatley (just in case...)
Ingleton NYorks
Ingleton County Durham

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #149 on: 02 October, 2018, 10:20:04 pm »
Wellington for all my events should be the one in Shropshire, not Somerset.