Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 131187 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Nail-biting stuff in SA.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Wales just scored a try three men down!
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Bollocks!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Crikey! Well done Ireland! (This probably deserves a thread all of its own).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Fifty years ago today the Fischer-Spasski match began in Reykjavik.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-grabs-and-breaks-finger-of-seven-year-old-opponent-moscow

That's not very sporting...

The robot did not break its opponent's finger, that is decadent western propaganda. It performed a special digital realignment operation.   :demon: ;) :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
i understand that Liverpool fans booed the "national anthem" today before their footie match v Man City started.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
In marked contrast, many of the audience* were singing along when it was played at the conclusion of last night’s gig at the Shepherd's Bush Empire ???

* Though not me.  Or Miss von Brandenburg.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

i understand that Liverpool fans booed the "national anthem" today before their footie match v Man City started.

Possibly should read "some Liverpool fans"?

Jaded

• The Codfather
I believe it is Hillsborough related. Also it is worth mentioning the connection with the government.

before following that up with the chant “F*** the Tories

I’d have rhought that would resonate?

J.  I didn't get the context because I didn't watch the match!

FGR already fighting hard to stay up - excellent!  I guess that's a local derby, now?

Quite a common occurrence with some LP fans.  Apparently they take exception to the lyrics - i.e. Brenda "ruling over them"  ;D

Cracking game none the less.  Bodes well for an exciting season  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

Jaded

• The Codfather
J.  I didn't get the context because I didn't watch the match!

FGR already fighting hard to stay up - excellent!  I guess that's a local derby, now?

Yes, a great result for them, apparently could have been 4-1 as their keeper had a fantastic game.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
With an opening 4 - 0 defeat at Walsall,  Hartlepool Untied go straight to the very bottom of div2.
Oh well, it can only get better.   

Or not.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

They've scored 4 runs and haven't lost a wicket.  What's not to like?!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
That was a somewhat exciting swimming race, wasn't expecting Peaty out of the medals entirely.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Quite a common occurrence with some LP fans.  Apparently they take exception to the lyrics - i.e. Brenda "ruling over them"  ;D

Cracking game none the less.  Bodes well for an exciting season  :thumbsup:
I didn't know the national anthem was played before football matches. Why? It's not actually a standard thing is it?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I don't really know anything about football and tend not to care very much, but I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow towards the fact that Brentford have slotted 4 home v Manchester United still with ten minutes to go before half time.

Wossgoinon?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Wossgoinon?

Easy. Brentford are currently a better team than Manchester United.

I was fully expecting Brentford to win - although admittedly the margin of victory was a tad surprising.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

It was pathetic to see the comments on the BBC web page while the match was going on.  Things like "Manu (to give them their official name) is a team that needs to win trophies."  Why?  Newcastle haven't won a trophy for nearly 70 years and yet have crowds comparable to "ManU"'s.  As for "There is no commitment from the players" - It's the players' shop window: if they want to play for a better club, they have to show they are good enough.  They are committed all right - but they are not very good.  For most of us, this is a hugely satisfying situation.  Brentford only had about 35% of the possession, too.  Prediction:  Manchester United (to give them their old name) will beat Newcastle twice this season!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I watched the highlights on Match of the Day. They were as bad as the scoreline suggests.

Newcastle will rout them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
Here’s hoping.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I expect that when commenters say “Manu is a team that needs to win trophies” what they mean is “Manu is a team that expects to win trophies but haven’t quite realised that this involves hard work”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime