Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 131207 times)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
But, for me, the cup goes to  Civil Service Strollers !
A gentlemen's club for gentlemen who wish to play gentlemen's sports in a gentlemanly way.

I've played against them.  Civil they were not.   :o

Which somehow reminds me of Corinthian Casuals.  I don't suppose they won the Amateur Cup as often as they did by saying, "No, after you!"

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
I discovered by accident today that Plymouth has two football clubs.

Plymouth Argyle (which may be good enough on its own for this thread - especially as no one can agree on how they came by the name Argyle or why it is spelt that way)
Plymouth Parkway - who play at Bolitho Park - a ground named after the fictitious captain of the Alexander Kent Napoleonic novel series

The accident was that I was looking up who Basingstoke Town (the lowest ranked football team representing a place of 100,000 or more people in the UK) played (they are currently in the 7th tier - Southern Premier Division South
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
I discovered by accident today that Plymouth has two football clubs.

Plymouth Argyle (which may be good enough on its own for this thread - especially as no one can agree on how they came by the name Argyle or why it is spelt that way)

If you read the comprehensive website detailing Plymouth Argyle's history https://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/index.asp# from Chapter 2: 1890-1895 From Struggle to Demise to Chapter 18: 1950-1953 Into the Fifties you might notice a surname not dissimilar to my own which occurs quite a lot. My grandfather's cousin was player*,  director, vice-chairman, chairman and  president of the club. And sponsor.

*there's a suggestion he only got a game because he was bankrolling the club.

He's on the extreme right, his brother is on the extreme left
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
This is absolutely horrific - ice hockey player dies during a match after suffering a cut to the neck from a skate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67253892

Thoughts and prayers etc to the player's family, friends and team-mates for the loss, of course, but imagine being a spectator at a game when something like this happens...

:(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I was just about to post words to that effect. Horrific.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
There have been som jolly fine, high-scoring games in the Premiership over the past few days. And it's quite a refreshing change to see Manchester City not dominating proceedings.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I've got a lot of admiration for Roy Hodgson, still battling it out as a premiership manager at the age of 76. I'm surprised he's still got the competitive edge. I think a lot of people lose it after a certain age. Watching him today, sitting it out watching his side get ground down by Liverpool on a miserable December day, makes me think I wouldn't bloody do that if I didn't have to.

A good friend of mine, one Dave Raeburn (b David Rabinovich, d about 2003, I think) was British Boys' (u18) Chess Champion in 1934. He retired to Southend in about 1980 and I started inviting him to play for the club.

I played him probably half-a-dozen times in competitive games, and he never seemed to lose his competitive edge. I think I beat him once, but mostly the games were drawn. I recall on one occasion offering him a draw in a position in which I was very much up against it. He gave me a hard stare as if to say "You're taking the piss, aren't you?" and then graciously offered me his hand. He was that generous.

The last time we played was in the final of the Southend club championship one year, a trophy I'd never won. I had the advantage out of the opening, and this was going to end up with me in a totally dominant position going into the ending. We adjourned, I played a crap move, and lost in the second session of play. I'm afraid I allowed my upset with myself show. Dave said quietly "I think I'm going to give up chess. I hate it when I lose, and I don't enjoy it when I win." That coming from a player who, had it not been for the war (he spent 3 years as a guest of Hirohito, as he said to me "one of 300 to go in one of 25 to come out") might well have developed into an England player. He didn't give up, of course, and when he died, around Christmas in his 87th year, he was Southend League and Southend Club Champion at both long-play and rapidplay chess.

citoyen

I've got a lot of admiration for Roy Hodgson, still battling it out as a premiership manager at the age of 76. I'm surprised he's still got the competitive edge. I think a lot of people lose it after a certain age. Watching him today, sitting it out watching his side get ground down by Liverpool on a miserable December day, makes me think I wouldn't bloody do that if I didn't have to.

He did retire last year but I guess it didn't suit him.

Not sure about the "competitive edge" though - since he's come back, he mostly seems to be going through the motions, relying on tactics that went out with the dinosaurs. And always bloody moaning, even when his team win.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded

He did retire last year but I guess it didn't suit him.

Not sure about the "competitive edge" though - since he's come back, he mostly seems to be going through the motions, relying on tactics that went out with the dinosaurs. And always bloody moaning, even when his team win.

Most disliked at Watford, took the money and didn’t do much.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Also, he looks like a wol.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

Most disliked at Watford, took the money and didn’t do much.

Even more disliked at Liverpool - played dreadful tactics, bought dreadful players, praised Man United in interviews... :facepalm:

Hmmm.  Why wouldn't he take the money?  He didn't appoint himself.  He praised Manchester United sat a time when Manchester United were good.  This is called telling the truth in every walk of life - except football! 

Off on a tangent, people go on and on about how disastrous Manchester United are.  They are 6th, repeat 6th in Division One, as I write.  Suddenly the wheels have come off at Manchester City - and they are 3rd*.  Football speaks a language from the planet Hyperbole.

Sorry, 4th! Still fully-wheeled.

The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
It was one of David Squires' better strips when he went to Watford - https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/feb/01/david-squires-on-sexy-beast-roy-hodgson-reboot-watford-job

I don't know who any of those people are, except Roy Hodgson.

citoyen

Hmmm.  Why wouldn't he take the money?  He didn't appoint himself.  He praised Manchester United sat a time when Manchester United were good.  This is called telling the truth in every walk of life - except football!

He does look like an owl though!

(Telling the truth is all well and good but it was in the context of being extremely negative about Liverpool at the same time, which really is not a good look if you're the manager of Liverpool.)

Off on a tangent, people go on and on about how disastrous Manchester United are.  They are 6th, repeat 6th in Division One, as I write.

There's never room for being moderate when talking about Man United, you have to deal in extremes. It's partly down to the fickleness of fans but the media feed it because they know MU are always good for clicks.

They really were dreadful against Bournemouth at the weekend though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2023/dec/12/david-squires-on-roy-hodgson-mood-crystal-palace

Another cartoon taking the piss out of Roy Hodgson. Again, I don't have the background knowledge: my interest in football is very superficial, and I know nothing of the characters involved and clearly lampooned in cartoons like this. I recognised Hodgson, and Klopp. Who is Raymond? Mikel? What is this Wolverine reference?

Off on a tangent, people go on and on about how disastrous Manchester United are.  They are 6th, repeat 6th in Division One, as I write.

While supporters dont like it when pundits criticise their club, deep down most supporters know where their club sits in the pecking order.
At the moment United might be 6th but their performances are often mediocre and (most important) there is absolutely no chance they will compete with the top 3 (Arsenal, City and Liverpool) anytime soon - thats what they measure success by. Add to that the arrival of Villa, spurs and Newcastle on the scene and Champions league football becomes even more unlikely.
Regards,

Alan

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2023/dec/12/david-squires-on-roy-hodgson-mood-crystal-palace

Another cartoon taking the piss out of Roy Hodgson. Again, I don't have the background knowledge: my interest in football is very superficial, and I know nothing of the characters involved and clearly lampooned in cartoons like this. I recognised Hodgson, and Klopp. Who is Raymond? Mikel? What is this Wolverine reference?
Mikel Arteta, Arsenal manager. Wolverine, Marvel superhero character. Not sure about Raymond...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

My Guess....   Raymond is his assistant Ray Lewington,  Mikel is Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Wolverine refers to the presence of Actor Hugh Jackman at the game (who I believe played Wolverine in the X-men films)
Regards,

Alan

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Thanks.

citoyen

My Guess....   Raymond is his assistant Ray Lewington,  Mikel is Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Wolverine refers to the presence of Actor Hugh Jackman at the game (who I believe played Wolverine in the X-men films)

Yep.

Mikel Arteta is portrayed as a Lego minifigure because his hair looks like it's made of plastic.

Mixed Martial Arts replaces Turkish Football.

Wow, you won't know, or need to know, any of the names.

I'll just add that Koca, the main culprit is an ex-member of Fuhrer Erdogan's dictatorship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67691038

citoyen

Not to condone the action, but that is a great picture - credit to the photographer!

Mixed Martial Arts replaces Turkish Football.

Wow, you won't know, or need to know, any of the names.

I'll just add that Koca, the main culprit is an ex-member of Fuhrer Erdogan's dictatorship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67691038

You have to read the whole article to get an idea of how bad this was. Not just a punch to the face, but a sustained kicking on the ground.

Afterwards, Koca blamed the violence on the match official!

For the sake of football, Koca has to go, permanently.
<i>Marmite slave</i>