Author Topic: "Phantom" phone calls - who to report to?  (Read 1456 times)

"Phantom" phone calls - who to report to?
« on: 19 July, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »
We were "called" at 03:12 last night by a local number. But when I answered the call the only noise was various clicks. Similarly when I called back today, it's usually engaged, but occasionally I get the clicks - like listening to an old mechanical exchange dialling.

So, who, if anyone, can I report this number to?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: "Phantom" phone calls - who to report to?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:24:36 pm »
Ask your phone provider (BT?) if they can investigate - you can tell them the approximate times of the calls.

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:33:33 pm »
Plusnet as it happens, but worth a punt, ta.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »
Phantom calls happen when cold callers dial a load of numbers at once to save hanging-on time.  The rest of the lines are dropped as soon as one person picks up.  I suppose it's unusual to get these kind of calls from a local number though?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:01:49 pm »
Could be some misconfigured piece of automated equipment that's expecting to find some sort of modem on the other end (presumably if it were trying to send a fax you'd hear the originating fax tone, though), rather than anything malicious.

If nothing's answering on that number, and google doesn't give you any clues as to who it might be, your best bet is going to be your phone provider.

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »
Could be some misconfigured piece of automated equipment that's expecting to find some sort of modem on the other end (presumably if it were trying to send a fax you'd hear the originating fax tone, though), rather than anything malicious.

If nothing's answering on that number, and google doesn't give you any clues as to who it might be, your best bet is going to be your phone provider.

Yep, that's what it is I'm sure (given the time it won't be marketing, and in any event it wasn't dead air when I picked up), automated dialler, probably some form of comms, a nuisance rather than malicious (or the other ones, the late night drunken taxi request, the baby playing with the keypad etc.). Have raised a query with Plusnet, will see what happens.

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:39:06 am »
Well their response was swift - report it to OFCOM. Hey ho.