Author Topic: 8/9 speed front triple mech  (Read 997 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
8/9 speed front triple mech
« on: 17 August, 2018, 08:35:27 pm »
I have a fairly ancient 8 speed triple machine with a seized front mech on a Ridgeback hybrid that I'm trying to fix for someone - can't seem to find a direct replacement (it has to be new, not used)

I've just fitted a 9 speed triple Shimano FD-R3030-B to a similar bike ... would one of those work for an 8 speed triple (i.e. are the cable pull and front ring spacing compatible)

[My tech guru is on holiday, hence asking here]

Rob

Re: 8/9 speed front triple mech
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:38:16 pm »
I’ve always understood that front mechs are pretty much interchangeable. One issue may be the (very slightly) wider 8 speed chain may rub a bit more. I wold bt worry about the ring spacing. However Torslanda is probably the best to ask.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2018, 11:02:51 pm »
I think it should work OK but there will be reduced side clearance and therefore reduced tolerance to all the usual things.  You might find that (if the chainrings are worn a bit) the whole system works better with a 9s chain instead of an 8s one. However if you ever fit a new 8s chainring, it might not work very well.

If in doubt, the first choice would be to snag a NOS 8s mech of the same sort on ebay.

cheers

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2018, 01:52:59 am »
For a quick fix I'd source a Shimano TX51 front mech for a 48 big ring, TX50 for 42/44

These are multifit being 34.9 diameter but supplied with spacers for 31.8/28.6. They're also suitable for top or bottom pull and low mount. Every Carrera Crossfire I've ever seen is fitted with one and they're very easy to set up. RRP is around 18 quid IIRC.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2018, 07:15:36 am »
The machine has had temporary fix to get the customer mobile on a charity ride on Sunday .... no front mech ... 8 on the back and a "manual change" on front rings if required :-)   - new 8sp chain fitted so don't want to be replacing that.

I can see a TX50 is as cheap as chips so I'll give that a go if/when he brings the bike back. 

For all that given the state of the bike (rogue 130 OLN rear wheel in a 135 ali frame, lots, and I mean lots, of ali corrosion and everything steel is rusty) it's a value judgement against buying something brand new that will give him a new lease of cycling life - I have a couple of new Land Rover hybrids in stock in the ~£350 bracket which would make sense.

Thanks for the answers

Rob

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:01:50 am »

For all that given the state of the bike (rogue 130 OLN rear wheel in a 135 ali frame, lots, and I mean lots, of ali corrosion and everything steel is rusty) it's a value judgement against buying something brand new that will give him a new lease of cycling life - I have a couple of new Land Rover hybrids in stock in the ~£350 bracket which would make sense.

Thanks for the answers

Rob

Round here that counts as "well looked after"...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2018, 10:54:58 am »

Thanks for the answers

Rob

Round here that counts as "well looked after"...

He's collected the bike sans front mech and is hovering on buying a new £600ish hybrid ..... we'll see.

Rob