Author Topic: New Garmin Oregon 300  (Read 13694 times)

Re: New Garmin Oregon 300
« Reply #50 on: 10 March, 2010, 04:42:10 pm »
The other mount I spotted was this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260564919995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
The eBay picture isn't too clear but to my eyes the handlebar clamp looks identical to the one used to mount the Map60 CSx. I found that the Map60 cradle vibrated slightly in this 'bar clamp; not enough to annoy but sufficient to wear the little lugs over time until the weight of the unit caused the lugs to snap off. Experience taught me that the presence of traces of white powder (which is actually ground away plastic) meant this was accelerating. A smear of Vaseline to reduce the friction proved to extend the life of the lugs. The Map60 is of course a bit heavier than the Oregon, which wouldn't help.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #51 on: 11 March, 2010, 12:03:38 pm »
Do you get turn by turn directions on a track with the Oregon?

Well I hope I'm missing something but I tried this morning (Dakota) and I can't find a way.  Unlike the Etrex C which does sort-of do this (using Trackback).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #52 on: 25 March, 2010, 08:46:59 pm »
can anyone recommend a screen protector for the oregon? i tried one from the phone shop and it turned it into a mirror!

« Reply #53 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:15:30 pm »
can anyone recommend a screen protector for the oregon? i tried one from the phone shop and it turned it into a mirror!

I've got a Durasec HighTec on my Garmin Edge 705. It works very well and fits nicely. Pretty clear and unobtrusive. No bubbles and strong adhesive. Been on my Edge for over a year now. It's been out in all weather and no deterioration that I can see from when I fitted it.

This is the range for the Oregon models from the same (german) supplier I got mine from. (Note: It may be available via a UK supplier, but I haven't searched...)
http://www.durasec.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=garmin+oregon&osCsid=15ba04f6c1b91a13d41f3d2d68985c44&x=7&y=1

Edit: The difference between the ClearTec and HighTec products

Shaun

« Reply #54 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:24:52 pm »
thanks, they sound pretty good, i managed to find some on amazon.

« Reply #55 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:28:24 am »
I bought the Durasec Hightec screen from the German chap, which I thought was very expensive at the time.

Has been in use for 5 months now and have had no problems at all.  It was very precisely cut, easy to fit and definitely reduces the screen glare and makes it more readable in sunlight.

Keith

« Reply #56 on: 26 March, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »
I purchased a car windscreen mounting thing for the Oregon off of Ebay from Honk Kong - it works really well and they also put in a free screen protector which seems to work very well so far - I've only been out twice with it and the screen is much easier to see.

« Reply #57 on: 01 April, 2010, 12:55:36 pm »
i got the screen protectors from amazon but they came from Germany so i expect it's the same dealer. they're great in use but murder to get on without all the air bubbles! think it was about a fiver for five.
thanks

« Reply #58 on: 01 April, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »
i got the screen protectors from amazon but they came from Germany so i expect it's the same dealer. they're great in use but murder to get on without all the air bubbles! think it was about a fiver for five.
thanks

The one I got was about £9 for one.  Thicker, and went on without bubbling.

Keith

« Reply #59 on: 01 April, 2010, 05:04:03 pm »
Piedwagtail, as Keeff points out, you've bought the ClearTec rather than the HighTec. IMO, the HighTec is quite a bit better. It's thicker and should last longer. In the link I posted above (The difference between the ClearTec and HighTec products) it details the difference, including the fact that a ClearTec piece might only last a few weeks...

Shaun

« Reply #60 on: 01 April, 2010, 08:28:32 pm »
yes, mess up on my part i'm afraid, still i've 4 more goes to get the bubbles out before i buy the right one!