Author Topic: Garmin 1030 Plus disk space  (Read 1842 times)

Garmin 1030 Plus disk space
« on: 14 June, 2023, 04:00:25 pm »
I purchased a 1030 Plus several weeks ago and have used it probably a dozen times. When connected to my computer it shows that I only have 2 Gig. of free space remaining.

I've deleted all my courses and activities, but still only have around 2 Gig. free.

Examining the device with File Manager shows that 24 Gig. of the used space is taken up by disk images, which I presume are the maps. None of the disk images have names, so identifying a map that I'll never need and deleting it is a bit problematical.

Have any other 1030 Plus owners had this problem, and if so, did you manage to resolve the issue?
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Garmin 1030 Plus disk space
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2023, 04:39:39 pm »
You can just copy the map.img files off the device onto your PC, where you can restore them from if you did a boo-boo.
The following is assuming the 1030 comes with pretty much the same mapping as my newish 830, which is OSM-derived cycle maps.

You can see what maps you have (on th8 810 anyway, I think the 1030 is very similar) by navigating to Home Page > Hamburger menu(bottom left) > Activity Profiles > Road > Navigation > Map > Map information.  It rather unhelpfully does not tell you which .omg files each is coming from...

There are certain map files you should never remove, here's a non-exhaustive list of them.  They will all be fairly small compared to the main maps:

gmapbmap.img -this is the base map It contains no detail, but should not be deleted.
gmapdem.img - Digital Elevation Model. Leave it alone.
gmapgc.img - Postcodes,POI etc. Leave it alone.
gmaptz.img - Timezone data. Used to set your local timezone automagically. Leave it alone.

The actual maps are:
gmapprom.img
gmapprom2/3/4 etc .img
gmapsupp.img

Numbered .img files like D6017070A.img are, I think, maps you have purchased and installed from the Garmin website using Garmin Connect.
Corresponding .gma files are unlock files to unlock the maps to your specific device, and can be removed along with their associated .img files.

These can be removed as you wish, then go look at the 'Maps Information' page on the device to see what you have lost.

FWIW, my 830 has 4G free out of 15G. I'd not sweat it.

Best of luck!

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2023, 06:26:47 pm »
Looking at the size of the .FIT files on my Garmin 530  -  2GB should be sufficient for about 10,000 200k rides.

Just how much cycling do you do?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2023, 06:39:49 pm »
Quite.  2GB is an ample amount of free storage on a GPS device, unless you're juggling maps, which are in the gigabyte range.  Tracks/Routes/Waypoints/Courses/etc are usually in the tens or hundreds of kilobyte range, and you're more likely to encounter weird filesystem limits (ie. maximum number of files) than actually run out of space for them.

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2023, 06:46:57 pm »
Looking at the size of the .FIT files on my Garmin 530  -  2GB should be sufficient for about 10,000 200k rides.

Just how much cycling do you do?

In the past I've kept a LOT of courses on my Garmin and just picked one and begin navigating.

By some diligent searching I've been able to identify the North American map image and have copied it off my unit thus freeing some 3 Gig. of space. Hopefully this will take quite a while to fill with courses.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2023, 06:55:45 pm »
If you connect it to a computer, Garmin Basecamp should tell you what maps you have loaded, and which file is which.

Or GPXSee is a nice simple free tool, can load Garmin IMG maps. http://www.gpxsee.org/

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:40:58 pm »
As above unless you keep tens of thousands of courses on your Edge, 2Gb is plenty