Author Topic: Blocked ears  (Read 2605 times)

Blocked ears
« on: 15 January, 2011, 12:46:34 pm »
I've been feeling medium crap all week. Tired, lethargic, depressed and my ears are all bunged up.  No other obvious cold symptoms, runny nose etc. The ear thing is uncomfortable & affecting my hearing,  I've been swallowing Beechams which is supposed to have decongestant in it, but it must be the wrong stuff as it's had no effect.

Is there anything I can get over the counter to unbung me or is it a GP job ?

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Blocked ears
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »
Are your ears bunged up because they are waxy or do you mean the Eustachian tube which connects the back of the nasal cavity to the middle ear?

Your pharmacist can supply Cerumol ear drops for wax or ephedrine nose drops for the nose.
Ephedrine nose drops can cause rebound congestion so should only be used a few days.

If you have inflammation and swelling of your ear canal (otitis externa), you should see your GP.

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2011, 01:32:29 pm »
I don't think it's a wax problem, it seems to vary in intensity. Currently my left ear feels OK but there is a feeling of pressure on the right side and sound seems slightly distorted.

I was suffering from stabbing pains around the right ear a week ago, which I thought may have been an inflammation but that cleared up before my appointment so I canceled it. This feels very different.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2011, 01:52:50 pm »
Mine blocked a couple of years ago, and the GP used something exactly like this:

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/DNV/DNV194/ear-syringe_~010213_0651_0049.jpg

He did make some comment about Hattie Jacques having similar equipment.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.