Author Topic: My shins bones seem to be just below the skin  (Read 32345 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
My shins bones seem to be just below the skin
« on: 16 May, 2008, 07:34:28 pm »
What can i do to build up the muscle/skin in that area.

At the moment mine are a little sore.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: My shins bones seem to be just below the skin
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2008, 07:42:33 pm »
Sounds like shin-splints - have you  been running recently or walking in new shoes? Or something that doesn't give teh soles of your feet much padding/support?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2008, 12:22:22 am »

Not a good place for impact. That's why footie & rugby players have shinpads.

Best to not put them in a position where they will get damaged.

j
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:01:21 am »
Sounds like shin-splints - have you  been running recently or walking in new shoes? Or something that doesn't give teh soles of your feet much padding/support?

Have recently been walking around Iceland, the shoes were nearing the end of their life but were amazingly soft and comfortable.

Think its time to use another pair of shoes.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2008, 05:58:31 am »

Have recently been walking around Iceland, the shoes were nearing the end of their life but were amazingly soft and comfortable.

Think its time to use another pair of shoes.

Could well be that the insoles were gone and weren't giving any cushioning then - my amateur 'cure' would be rest. Prevention with some decent insoles in your next pair of boots

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2008, 02:40:10 pm »

At the moment mine are a little sore.

Building muscle up in front of the shin bone is achieved by, believe it or not, cycling long distances.  Or so it appears on me.

My shin bones have only ever been covered by skin.  I was amazed after my first FNRTTC (which I cycled home afterwards) to find the 160 miles had put a muscle there!   After the second time I did it that muscle was much bigger.   

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2008, 02:47:15 pm »
I would ignore the term "shin splints"

It means very little and there is no clear definition of what it constitutes, it just means pain in the shins, its not a condition in its own right with a particular cause.

The pain is your muscles repairing them self and growing, if its not causing you disabilty or unbearable discomfort then it sounds like you will be just fine. If in doubt see a doctor.

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2008, 02:58:53 pm »
I think I should point out that it's normal for there to be no muscle in front of certain parts of the shinbone!  If you follow the sharp edge which runs along the middle of the front of the lower leg, you shin bone (tibia) IS covered by muscle on the outside of this line (it's mainly the tibialis anterior muscle, but it really is just bone and connective tissue to the inside of that midline, until you get to the gastrocnemius and soleus, bulging from the back.  Not easy to put into words, but I'm just wanting to say that you can't build muscle where there isn't any!

I'll try and find a picture.

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2008, 03:05:44 pm »
Here's a picture of the lower leg
showing that a large part of the tibia is not covered by muscle.  It is covered, however, by periosteum and connective tissue.

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2008, 11:31:56 am »
The only non-cyclist I've seen with a clearly defined tibialis anterior muscle was a keen fencer.  Then again that was only her right leg :P

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2008, 11:40:02 am »
Makes sense.  I've got very muscly (or as Tuggo would have it, "fat" :)) legs from years of fixed riding and from running and there's very little over the shinbone on my legs either.  Short of increasing subcutaneous fat I'm not sure what you can do.  I can't say I've ever worried about it.

I'm with Zoidberg on the "shin splints" thing too. 

annie

« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2008, 11:55:04 am »
I agree with Martin 109, you will find that the lower part of your shin bone is not covered by muscle, it is entirely normal.  Mine appears to be just under the skin, I am not worried about it though.

« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2008, 12:00:47 pm »
I had severe pain in the front of my shins after a particularly hard core snowboarding trip in New Zealand. You could actually here them creak if I waggled my feet around. The doctor even flinched when he touch the shin and moved my foot!

He said it was tendonitis and made no mention of shin splints. He prescribed me some anti-inflammatories and told me to sit on my arse for a couple of weeks.

No idea if it's the same problem as the OP, but could be I suppose...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2008, 01:14:22 pm »
Rapid development of muscle down there can cause some pain of its own - compartment syndrome, where you grow the muscle faster than the ligament sheath around it.  It feels like growing pains, but eventually goes away.

Ankling, and scooping the foot up in the bark-bottom quarter of the pedal stroke, build honking great tib. ant.s. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.