Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve and Essex SR  (Read 2821 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
[HAMR] Steve and Essex SR
« on: 04 January, 2015, 02:40:51 pm »
Steve is aiming to use the Essex SR as his PBP qualifying rides.

Tom has offered a free entry to Steve - which could well increase the number of entrants -- "" Your chance to ride with the great TG"

however without having tried to work out the practicalities for each of the 200 (7th march) ,300(11th april) ,400 ( 9th May)  and 600 (23rd may) Steve is hoping to find someone over here in east anglia willing to host him - maybe before and after  each ride, although he might choose to ride home after each event anyway.

Host does not have to be near the start or finish - as what is a chunk of extra miles to Steve .... and i suspect that having Steve for 1 night would be quite OK - so no need to offer  to do both start and finish of any of the rides.

I am not the host master for Steve - but thought that this opportunity to help Steve might appeal to some of the regulars on this forum

So hold your hand up - if you might be able to help - and then we can get the hostmaster involved
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Steve and Essex SR
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2015, 12:14:39 am »
In principle, yes to at least one of the dates, but I will have to discuss with Mrs. Wow first. We are a fair way from the start so he should like that.  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:43:37 am »
Great Wow, please check with MrsW - and if that is Ok -- I will put you in touch with routemaster - to try to get date sorted etc.
Roger

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:56:33 am »
You'll find they look something like this, HTH

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:09:20 pm »
Bump -- only one offer from us over in East Anglia to help Steve with the Essex SR series??
Roger

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:16:38 am »
We've been out all day in London and I mentioned it to Mrs. Wow. She hasn't looked at the diary though. I just have.

We are definitely OK for 7th March and definitely not for 23rd May. We'll have a look at the other two in the morning. We may be away on 11th April (it's right at the end of the school hols) but not sure yet. We will be around on 9th May but will confirm later for that.

Bear in mind that we are in Southend and therefore not the most accessible part of Essex for what I imagine these audaxes entail. That may not matter a damn and might be fine for Steve notching up the miles, but for Steve to be relying on these rides for the PBP place, it has to be his call. I don't know where the official rides start.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:00:56 am »
Hi FB. I'm planning on riding the HP200 on 7th March too so I'm quite happy hosting Steve either before or after, whichever suits him. I can also do 11th April and 23rd May as it stands but not 9th May as I will be riding that day too (Severn Across). I live in Pboro.

scottlington

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:07:35 am »
Hi FB. I'm planning on riding the HP200 on 7th March too so I'm quite happy hosting Steve either before or after, whichever suits him. I can also do 11th April and 23rd May as it stands but not 9th May as I will be riding that day too (Severn Across). I live in Pboro.

Or both in fact  :)

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:48:36 am »
Given that Toms rides start from either Dunmow or Manningtree - I am not sure that Peterborough is close enough to either start to be feasible.
Will check with Route master and see what he says first of all ( and possibly a check with Steve)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:57:01 am »
I would have loved to host for this, of course, seeing as my house is just 8km from Manningtree but I am of course still in Germany and it's a bit of a long way from there!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

scottlington

« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:04:28 am »
Given that Toms rides start from either Dunmow or Manningtree - I am not sure that Peterborough is close enough to either start to be feasible.
Will check with Route master and see what he says first of all ( and possibly a check with Steve)

Yeh, I figured I'm on the edge in terms of distance but thought I would still place the offer. It's a little over 100k from mine to Dunmow so it's probably is difficult in terms of the start but could be doable for after the 200k calender event. For example, if he can find a host less than 50k from the start, do the calendar event then 100k to mine. Gives about 350k max for the day which I would imagine is about the distance TG would be doing come March (if on the long edge of things).

Anyway, offers are there from me so see how things go.  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:19:24 am »
We are about 35 miles from Dunmow, more like 50 from Manningtree.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:28:21 am »
I could host Steve before and/or after the Horesepower. I'm in Cambridge 45k to 55k from Dunmow
depending on route taken. So could be a good 300k-ish day. Might also work for The Flatlands,
don't know at this point. But that would mean silly o'clock start from Cambridge to get to the 6 am
start. For the other two Essex SR rides from Manningtree Cambridge is probably too far away as a base.

« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:38:13 pm »
I'm considering the Green and Yellow Fields on 11th April as my first 300 (after failing to enter last year) so a stop over in Ipswich (13 miles from Manningtree) may be a possibility.

All of this is a bit vague I'm afraid as there is a holiday to plan during the Easter school break ending that weekend and until I know what we can book and when I won't know if I'm in the country. Having said that we expect the holiday will be cheaper midweek - midweek so I really hope to be around.

Also I suspect he will finish considerably earlier than me so may need to take a longer loop to Ipswich whilst waiting for me to arrive!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
I think we've got the 6th/7th March [Horsepower] covered, but I've passed my pal onto the Hostmaster. Planning ahead is at early March then, but I'll try and drum up more support when I've trawled through my organiser's list of riders of the G&YF and A&S.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:33:43 pm »
I definitely cannot do 9th May. It's the night of my choir's concert.

« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2015, 10:12:28 am »
I'm planning to ride the Asparagus & Strawberries 400 on 9th.May and will be booking two nights at the local Travelodge at Capel St.Mary.

I will book a twin bedded room and Steve is welcome to share with me. Just let me know if interested and I will make the booking.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:36:04 pm »
I tried to use YACF to drum up host support for Steve as he tackles Toms SR -- but you can all stand down - our Host boss has now got just what he and Steve want - places very close to event starts -- so Steve can get a few hours riding in before the calendar event !!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2015, 08:03:35 am »
Well done Steve's team and thanks to all the hosts :thumbsup: That all happened impressively fast.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
our Host boss has now got just what he and Steve want

Would that be the Lord of Hosts?

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime