Author Topic: Wolverhampton commuting  (Read 3004 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Wolverhampton commuting
« on: 15 September, 2015, 08:24:47 pm »
Wolverhampton?  Does that mean comedy off-roading?   ;D :demon:

Re: Wolverhampton commuting
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:21:01 pm »
Thanks all!

Wolverhampton?  Does that mean comedy off-roading?   ;D :demon:

Monday's bus+tram effort reminded me why I used to cycle to West Bromwich.  :sick:
I've spent a long time looking at maps to see if a Brum-Wolves bike commute might be feasible. ...I think I need to find out what shower facilities are available at the other end and, whilst I've only ever cycled along (a bit of) the 81 in the dark, I don't fancy doing it by myself on a regular basis :-/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:25:22 pm »
I cycled to Wolverhampton once along the canal.  It was a mudbath, until the towpath ran out, then the NCN signs ran out and I was subjected to a close pass by a tram following the logical road route.  I came back on the train.

If there is a sensible route, I haven't found it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:34:26 pm »
About 15 years ago I had to work in Wolves twice a month.  I used to just ride the A4123.  In the rush hour!
I don't think even I would be keen to do that now.

Sorry, that's not much help, is it?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:44:11 pm »
About 15 years ago I had to work in Wolves twice a month.  I used to just ride the A4123.  In the rush hour!
I don't think even I would be keen to do that now.

In London a road like that would tend to have a mostly continuous bus lane and traffic-light controlled junctions, making it a usable route for vehicular cyclists who can average bus-speed.  The West Midlands Conurbation lacks such luxuries, so certain journeys deteriorate into those oppressive pesudo-motorways (complete with terrifying roundabouts), or the (often hilly) rat-runs that link them.

Or Tragedy Off-Roading.

TBH, on the odd occasion I've needed to go to Wolverhampton, I've made good use of the abundance of reasonably civilised trains.  Not exactly a budget option for a regular journey, thobut.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:48:56 pm »
Looks like n+1 (knobbly-tyred mtb) and canal towpath to me.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/birmingham-to-wolverhampton-cycle-route# refers.

Of course, this is me knowing buggerall about the route in question, just hunting around for a map.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »
The other twice a month was Leamington Spa. Much nicer route  :thumbsup:

Then all the remaining days were Handsworth.  That's were I learned not to gesticulate at big cars with black windows.    :o

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/birmingham-to-wolverhampton-cycle-route# refers.

Of course, this is me knowing buggerall about the route in question, just hunting around for a map.

Not good for a commute.  Takes too long.
Actually, not good for recreational either.  It's just fecking DULL.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:21:58 pm »

This is the one I referred to above.  Veterans of the Tunnel Ride will be familiar with about half of it.  It's ridable without getting covered in mud for about 2 weeks a year, and surprisingly hard work.  As Basil says, it's also dull, to the point where if you do it more than a couple of times you're likely to want to ride into the canal just to liven things up a bit.  And there's something particularly soul-destroying about watching people hurtling past on a nice warm dry train when you ride it in winter.

There are a handful of dodgy bits around bridges where slippery bricks, broken glass or persons of low moral fibre may constitute additional hazards.

That said, I reckon it's a prime candidate for the Sustrans-if-they-had-a-budget treatment.  For the most part the bank is wide, with good sightlines, and it's a flat and direct route between places that people actually want to travel to.  If someone were to put down a couple of metres of decent quality tarmac[1], with some lighting around the pinch points to improve social safety, it could easily become the Midlands' answer to the Bristol-Bath railway path.

[1] The current batch BCR of gravel-topped towpath improvements stop about halfway to Smethwick.  After that it's deteriorating hardpack and outright singletrack.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:29:27 pm »
Congrats Nikki! (and, as a born'n'bred Baggies fan, comiserations on having to go to Wolvo.  ;))

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:32:30 pm »
On the few occasions I've used the tram I've noticed a decent looking path along side. 
No idea where you access it, or if it goes far enough to be useful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:41:25 pm »
On the few occasions I've used the tram I've noticed a decent looking path along side.

There is.  A few silly gates (advanced slalom skills required) and the usual pedestrian hazards, but it's quite cycleable.

It goes from somewhere in the vicinity of Galton Bridge to a little bit beyond West Bromwich (not as far as Wednesbury, more's the pity).  Nikki has a cunning route that links that path at The Hawthorns to the BCN Old Mainline towpath, which is a pleasant enough route for someone travelling between West Brom and the centre of Birmingham in good weather.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:58:54 pm »
Points to Kim.
The first non Midlander ever to refer to Wednesbury.  (Probably my first ever reference too.)

As I'm not sure where it actually is, why would I?

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2015, 06:04:09 pm »
It's where they put the West Midlands branch of Decathlon (presumably to keep the cyclists away), after they moved it from Merry Hell.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2015, 06:04:35 pm »
His town:

He doesn't look like I imagined.

(It's not really a pun. cycle.travel can be quite good for plotting quiet routes but local knowledge always wins)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2015, 10:23:17 pm »
It's where they put the West Midlands branch of Decathlon (presumably to keep the cyclists away), after they moved it from Merry Hell.

Quite true.  I was in decathlon on Monday and it is a real pain to get to.  Every time I have been there it has been very quiet.  Only consolation was the very cheap breakfast at nearby IKEA and the never ending coffee for Family Member.

« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2015, 10:27:15 pm »

There is.  A few silly gates (advanced slalom skills required) and the usual pedestrian hazards, but it's quite cycleable.

It goes from somewhere in the vicinity of Galton Bridge to a little bit beyond West Bromwich (not as far as Wednesbury, more's the pity).  Nikki has a cunning route that links that path at The Hawthorns to the BCN Old Mainline towpath, which is a pleasant enough route for someone travelling between West Brom and the centre of Birmingham in good weather.

I used to use it for getting to West Brom thusly: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/15950
A decent tarmac surface; slaloming perfectly doable on a diamond frame with pannier; a couple of crossings of the tram tracks required; and a risk of foxes and/or stealth mode humans suddenly appearing in front of you at night. A pleasant respite after The Industrial Zone between the prison and The Hawthorns.

If I was ever in the mood for doing the canal towpath instead on the way home, I would get on at Bridge Street North.

My most civilised idea thus far for a non-car-based route between Brum and Wolverhampton would duplicate the route to West Brom then push on a bit to Dudley Port, Tipton or Coseley Station and get on a train for the remainder. Haven't done the sums on the train tickets, though.

« Reply #17 on: 16 September, 2015, 10:29:48 pm »
I've spent a long time looking at maps to see if a Brum-Wolves bike commute might be feasible. ..... and, whilst I've only ever cycled along (a bit of) the 81 in the dark, I don't fancy doing it by myself on a regular basis :-/

Cycling in the dark along the 81 or canals not such a good idea IMO.  Even cycling along the canals in daylight has resulted in incidents for some.  Sad reflection on some parts of our society.

I had a very similar dilemma some years back and decided the sensible option was tram or train and use the cycle to ride to the stations.  Time saved could be used for additional cycling that would probably be more pleasurable than the options joining Wolves with Brum.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 16 September, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
A pleasant respite after The Industrial Zone between the prison and The Hawthorns.

*hums the Crystal Maze theme*

essexian

« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:17:34 am »
Not sure if you can do the whole of the canal route from Birmingham to Wolverhampton (or the other way) as the Coseley Tunnel might be closed.

I have put might be closed as the last information I can find is from early 2014

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/202/coseley-tunnel-to-wallbrook-bridge

I tried to use the diversion once...its something I wouldn't be doing again.

« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:30:26 am »
OT: what's the cycling selection like at that decathlon? I’m moving to Walsall next week (crikey!) and wanted to make sure it was worth risking splatty DETH for before braving unfamiliar roads to have a shufti...

essexian

« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:40:33 am »
OT: what's the cycling selection like at that decathlon? I’m moving to Walsall next week (crikey!) and wanted to make sure it was worth risking splatty DETH for before braving unfamiliar roads to have a shufti...

Its not too bad...plenty of their own brand bikes, clothing and some parts etc. Worth a trip I would say if they have a sale on....which they seem to have most of the time.... or you need something quick you can't get locally elsewhere .

The roads to the store aren't actually that bad and if you are coming from the Willenhall/Darlaston/Bentley Bridge side, its one of the first stores on the retail park so you don't have to fight the traffic going to IKEA. If you are coming from the J9 side of Walsall, just take a lane and make sure they see you at the main roundabout!

« Reply #22 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:53:44 am »
Thanks - I was planning on coming in on Darlaston road, as it's not too much of a detour, and crossing the M6 junction might wait until I'm a little more familiar with the roads (or never, if I'm taking the bakfiets!)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #23 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:44:05 am »
Worth visiting between season changes, as the stock is then drastically reduced, I have just bought a couple of pairs of bibshorts, with decent pads, for less than half their normal price (£20 instead of £45).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 17 September, 2015, 12:31:14 pm »
They're also pretty good for hiking/camping gear, at least in the right season.

You can forget about women's cycling kit though.  It's just a couple of token low-end items.  Only the Surrey Quays store is big enough to have a decent range.