Author Topic: Why you shouldn't buy a phone from Three...  (Read 6331 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Why you shouldn't buy a phone from Three...
« on: 29 April, 2010, 11:47:48 pm »
I've just been trying to get some help from Three's live customer support...

Thanks for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly.
Please note this service is for online store queries only.
We are unable to deal with customer service queries or queries regarding existing contracts or upgrades.

[Charlotte] Where's the mobile internet fair use policy?
[Darshan] Hi Charlotte, welcome to 3 :)
[Darshan] Sure I will be glad to help you with your query.
[Charlotte] Hi. Can you please show me the fair use policy for internet use with a mobile phone?
[Darshan]  Do you have a query about an existing account or are you planning to join 3?

[Charlotte] I'm thinking of buying a phone from you. I'd like to know what your "fair use" policy is for using the internet on it.
[Darshan] May I know which handset and priceplan are you planning to order online today ?
[Darshan] 1GB is the fair use for internet addon which comes with pur deals
[Charlotte] The HTC Desire - on a £35/month plan.
[Darshan] That's a fantastic plan, excellent choice :)

[Charlotte] Is that a hard limit or a soft one, as per T-mobile where they don't whack you if you bump it by a tiny amount?
[Charlotte] ...might be easier if you just link me to the policy and let me read it myself.
[Darshan] you get 750 cross network, anytime minutes and unlimited texts [Fair usage of 4000 texts] for UK along with unlimited internet and email [Fair usage of 1GB] plus unlimited 3 to 3 minutes [Fair usage of 2000 minutes] and free Skype to Skype calls for just £35/month including VAT.

# [Darshan] features of HTC esire are, Supports a 32GB MicroSD card
# Wi-Fi
# 5MP Camera with LED Flash
# GPS

[Darshan] *desire
[Darshan]

As you are ordering a contract phone today, I can give you a promotional code for a free accessories voucher worth £20. So would you like to have the promo code?

[Charlotte] Yeah, that's great - I can find that out for myself. Can you just link me to the fair use policy?
[Charlotte] And no - I don't want the hard sell if it's all the same...
[Darshan] [Fair usage of 1GB] for using internet every month.
[Charlotte] http:// www...?
[Darshan] Sure, let me give you the promo code as well as the procedure to use it

Once you’re on the your basket page step 1,

Please enter the code HS29041023 in the box next to the Entrust logo and     click on update

You need to enter the promo code (manually) on the checkout page (step1) which comes before you enter all your personal details which is (step2)

[Charlotte] Sorry - I don't think you understand me. I don't want your promo code, I want to know where I can read the fair use policy. For myself. Without any kind of hard sell. Would that be okay?
[Darshan] when you click o Plan detail you will firnd the info about fair use policy for internet addon.
[Charlotte] Please will you give me the link to the small print?
[Darshan] when you click on the Plan deal tab besides the magnifying glass icon on the £35 internet texter deal then you will see the fais use polcy for internet usage.
[Darshan] Did you find it ?
[Charlotte] I've done that. In fact, I did it before I started this chat. The text says "All unlimited offers are subject to fair use policy" So I'd like to know what that fair use policy is. Please will you link me to the document so I can read it for myself.
[Darshan] you get 750 cross network, anytime minutes and unlimited texts [Fair usage of 4000 texts] for UK along with unlimited internet and email [Fair usage of 1GB] plus unlimited 3 to 3 minutes [Fair usage of 2000 minutes] and free Skype to Skype calls for just £35/month including VAT.

[Charlotte] Yes, I know that. But I would like you to link me to the document on your site (which I can't seem to find) that explains all of this. The small print. Terms and conditions. The legal stuff. Can you do that Darshan?
[Darshan] Charlotte, you will only find it when you click on the plan details TAB
[Charlotte] I'VE DONE THAT. I did it twice in fact. Just to see if it had changed whilst we were having this delightful little chat. Even on the second occasion, it didn't contain a fair use policy - just a reference to one. So, before I comitt to paying you £35 a month for the next two years, I'd rather like to read that policy. In full. So how's about you give me a URL where I can read it?
[Darshan] That is the only place wher you can check the info of this deal.
[Charlotte] So you want me to enter into a deal with you, but you're unable to supply me with the terms and conditions of that deal prior to me signing on the virtual dotted line then? Where are the contractual documents? I can find them on the T-Mobile site, the Orange site and the Vodaphone site.
[Charlotte] Look - We've been at this for the best part of fifteen minutes and I've yet to get the information that I wanted. Which means that as a potential customer, I'm having my time wasted. Do you think this is likely to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about wanting to buy a phone from you?
[Darshan] Charlotte, the info you need is only mentioned on the price plan details tab
[Darshan] Also the info which i have given you is 100% right so you can be rest assured as you are right now on the official website of 3 and info about unlimited texts (4000 fair use ) is right.
[Charlotte] So you're saying that you'd like me to enter into a valuable contract with you, but you're unable to show me the details of that contract? Is that right, Darshan?
[Charlotte] You're happy to offer me promotional codes, but you're not so keen to let me read the fine print, are you? Looking at the layout of your site, it's almost as if Three doesn't want people to find the contractual documentation. At best, it's not very user friendly, is it?
[Charlotte] Hello?
[Charlotte] Are you still there?
[Darshan] Charlotte, if you want you can even print this chat as a proof as the info which i have give you is 100% right.
[Charlotte] It may be 100% right - I'm not disputing that! What it's not, by any stretch of the imagination is 100% complete.
[Charlotte] For instance - if I go to T-Mobile, I can read their full Fair Use Policy here:
[Charlotte] Fair Use Plans - Our Services - T-Mobile
[Charlotte] It tells me what happens (and more importantly how much I have to pay) when I exceed the limits. You don't seem to have anything nearly as comprehensive.
[Charlotte] So what happens if I exceed my useage limits on Three? How am I to know, because I can't read the full Fair Use Policy for your nextwork!
[Charlotte] So unless you can show me this small print now, I am extraordinarily unlikely to want to enter into a contract with you. Let alone to take advantage of some kind of promotional code. Would that seem fair to you, Darshan?
[Darshan] I apologise for your inconvenience and I will pass on the feeback to our supervisor so they can work on it and in future no other customer will go through same trouble of finding info about the fair use on our website.
[Charlotte] So you can't help me is what you're saying?
[Charlotte] Dear Gods this is tedious. I've been tryign to get this information from you for half an hour on and off. Half an hour! It would have been quicker to walk into town and go to the Three shop there!
[Charlotte] Well, not only will I not be buying a phone from you; I'll be telling people on the internet all about this. So you've not just lost a sale from one person, but potentially from a whole bunch of people.
[Charlotte] I would say thank you for your help, but that would be a bit of a half-truth, wouldn't it? Have a pleasant evening, Darshan.
[Darshan]

I have tried to my level best to help you with all the info you needed as it was not available so I gave you what all you will get with the deal so you can be aware of what is offered in the deal.

[Charlotte] There we go - now you can read what people have to say about all of this:
[Charlotte] Why you shouldn't buy a phone from Three...
[Charlotte] Night-night!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Why you shouldn't buy a phone from Three...
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:54:43 pm »
If you would just like to step over there you will find someone holding your frying pan.

Please feel free to put it to some good use . . .

And breathe . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2010, 12:01:38 am »
I think they just failed the Turing Test...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2010, 12:22:41 am »
I had major fun with Three and got out of my contract early.

I'd never touch them
or their overseas, only active at 8:00am on a Sunday call centres again
or their debt collection agencies.

again.
It is simpler than it looks.

spen666

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2010, 01:05:14 am »
Charlotte, were you having a blonde night?

You were not expecting customer service to help you surely?

That's not their role

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:02:47 am »

That's not their role

What is their role, Spen?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:26:16 am »
What terrible service. I'll be changing my phone and looking for a new contract towards the end of the year, but I won't be going to Three. I'll go to another company which can answer easy questions.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:37:20 am »
Yes, getting a straight answer with them is hard, they have a sales script (and presumably commission) and not much more. I found the phrase "maybe I'll call back later" worked well.

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:40:45 am »

That's not their role

In this case the job title is misleading and their role to help the company shift the phone.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:47:21 am »
Ah, the old "you cannot hang up on a potential customer" rule.  Poor git.

Surely you need unlimited data?  Any sort of limit on these phones is a hobble.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:52:38 am »
Exactly.  This is what I wanted to ascertain.

All the networks engage in the insidious practice of moderating their "unlimited" deals with a Fair Use Policy.  Discounting Three now (for they are clearly cockwombles) it would appear that only T-mobile offer a "soft limit" on their Fair Use Policy data allowance.  The rest of them use it as an excuse to bill you to fuck at something like a quid per fifteen meg.  Couple of hundred quid for watching a few YouTube videos anyone?  It happens depressingly often if the complaints I've read on various flora are to be believed.

Mind you, I reckon you'd have to go some to chew through more than a gig a month onna phone.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:57:24 am »
unless you get an iPhone from O2
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:00:26 am »
unless you get an iPhone from O2

Evewn the O2 "unlimited" internet plan has it's fair usage policy...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:10:17 am »

Mind you, I reckon you'd have to go some to chew through more than a gig a month onna phone.

A few hours of video would do it for you. Depends on whether or not you are likely to do that.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:24:08 am »
I'm on O2 and use it heavily (email/web and the odd video) and they haven't complained/charged extra at all.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:25:58 am »
I work for a mobile network so know a little about this.  

If a network publishes overage charges you can be sure that they will charge you if you exceed the fair use policy.  If there are no overage charges published the chances are you won't get charged if you exceed the FUP by a little bit.

Assuming there are no published overage charges and you exceed the FUP consistently the network will probably contact you and ask why you've exceeded the FUP, basically they want to ensure you haven't connected the phone to a server.  Depending on what you tell them they might insist you upgrade to a more expensive tariff with a more generous FUP.

The key is to ensure you use the device for what it is intended to do.  So, if you get a PDA type data tariff you should be fine if you are just browsing and e-mailing off the device.  If you connect the device to your laptop and use it as a mobile broadband modem you might have a problem with the FUP unless you choose a tethering type tariff.

Hope this helps.

« Reply #16 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:33:24 am »

That's not their role

Minimising the cost to the business of disgruntled customers of course - Spen's right for once!  ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:45:48 am »
In this case the cost matches the profit at nil.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #18 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:58:41 am »
I read that exchange wondering if  you were actually communicating with a modern version of Elisa. Wow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #19 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:05:36 am »
I hope they paid for your call :demon:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:33:30 am »
It wasn't a call, Lawrence.  It was an online chat session.  Do you really think I bothered to type it all in?

::-)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #21 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:47:19 am »
The fact that you were unable to review the terms and conditions prior to contract is poor and you are wise to be wary as 3 have a track record of under-delivery and over-selling.

On the other  hand, call centre folk all around the world have this: |< >| to work with.

Who else feels a degree of sympathy for poor Darshan?  ;D

H

« Reply #22 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:52:41 am »
I know there is one online somewhere, 'cos I've read it.

I've gone over the 1gb limit, and it's a soft limit, I think. You get warnings, but at least up to the extra I went over, I wasn't charged or cut off.

Still can't recommend Three. The packet data connect from whatever part of the network allows me to connect, and both my Three phones report it as a strong connection, but for the last week, no data is being transferred (and no, I didn't go over the limit ;) ).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:56:40 am »
...call centre folk all around the world have this: |< >| to work with.

Who else feels a degree of sympathy for poor Darshan?  ;D

H

Many of us will have been a Darshan at some point.  Though I think you will find that the freedom of action is more like this ><
Getting there...

« Reply #24 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:38:19 am »
Fair use policy?

My goodness, I hope the Thai's don't cotton on to that crap :demon:

Here we just pay for our actual calls, either pre-paid or post paid and similar for Internet usage. The packages are slightly different from each provider but nothing to get excited about. My package for phone calls only is 2 pennies per minute including VAT and to anywhere in Thailand :thumbsup:

Overseas I use Skype.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"