Author Topic: Darwin Awards  (Read 43375 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Darwin Awards
« Reply #100 on: 03 April, 2018, 09:02:13 pm »
Imagine how much more fun it'd be if the same government followed a policy that leads to a large number of foreign-born health service professionals leaving the country, whilst at the same time forging no plans to train or recruit replacements. Of course, no government would be that stupid. I mean, if they were, the opposition would make a meal of it, wouldn't they? Oh wait. Possibly there's a super new technological solution. I dunno, maybe automated butt drones or something. Yeah, something like that.
Jeremy RhymingSlang has been making the correct noises over plans to recruit and train more home grown health professionals. However, as with most of his plans, they have no real connection to what we call reality and as any healthcare trainer or educator will tell you there are nowhere near enough places to train the numbers he is talking about. Added to this is the lead times involved in recruiting and training said health professionals and a big gap is bound to appear. Oh, and most branches of health professional training has seen recruitment numbers fall as young people see the truth of the shit storm they’ll inherent in taking on a career of caring. No doubt the ‘answer, that RhymingSlang will come up with is to privatise the NHS. That at least should see the demand fall to the levels that supply can meet.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #101 on: 04 April, 2018, 10:18:58 am »
That's a very spiteful comment, and in bad taste.

Still, I guess anything goes if it supports your political views.

It wasn't a spiteful comment. It was simply stating a fact.
You knew exactly what you were doing.

If you want to further deny this and/or continue this (rather unpleasant) discussion, I suggest taking it to POBI.

You are right in one sense. I did know exactly what I was doing and it is not as you suggest. So please shut up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #102 on: 04 April, 2018, 12:22:59 pm »
If you say that you did not have any spiteful intent when commenting on a Tory Health Secretary, then I shall have to take you at your word Sir.

However, I can see no justification for posting your opinions in this thread, as opposed to POBI where they belong (as you well know, being a prolific poster there.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #103 on: 06 May, 2018, 11:54:28 am »
Man dies after attempting selfie with BEAR.
Silly selfies kill many in India annually.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/man-bear-selfie-video-mauled-death-selfies-india-odisha-asia-a8335806.html

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #104 on: 06 May, 2018, 12:14:57 pm »
I remember an off-duty Mountie shaking his head in disbelief at the parents who insist on photographing their kiddiewinks alongside unpredictable and/or DETHy wild animals for e.g. BEARs, bison, møøse etc.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #105 on: 06 May, 2018, 03:24:28 pm »
A møøse once bit my sister . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #106 on: 06 May, 2018, 03:39:48 pm »
According to the credits, Ølaf Prøt trained the møøse in one of the Monty Python films, the title of which escapes me at present.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #107 on: 07 May, 2018, 10:20:30 am »
According to the credits, Ølaf Prøt trained the møøse in one of the Monty Python films, the title of which escapes me at present.
was it the Life of Moose?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #108 on: 03 October, 2018, 01:54:17 pm »

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #110 on: 08 November, 2018, 04:50:17 pm »
5/10 Must try harder...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #111 on: 08 November, 2018, 05:03:25 pm »
Indeed. It might qualify for an Honourable Mention, but falls well short of a bona fide Darwin Award... :demon:

The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor, originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions around 1985. They recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization by their own actions.

The website also recognizes, with Honorable Mentions, individuals who survive their misadventures with their reproductive capacity intact. One example of this is Lawnchair Larry, who attached helium-filled weather balloons to a lawn chair and floated far above Long Beach, California, in July 1982. He reached an altitude of 16,000 feet (4,900 m) but survived, to be later fined for crossing controlled airspace. Another notable honorable mention was given to the two men who attempted to burgle the home of footballer Duncan Ferguson (who had four convictions for assault and had served six months in Glasgow's Barlinnie Prison) in 2001, with one burglar requiring three days' hospitalization after being confronted by the player.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

Edited.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #112 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:50:02 am »
I remember an off-duty Mountie shaking his head in disbelief at the parents who insist on photographing their kiddiewinks alongside unpredictable and/or DETHy wild animals for e.g. BEARs, bison, møøse etc.

In Yellowstone earlier this year I was chatting with a park ranger who told me about a couple who had been discovered by one of his colleagues photographing two black bears with their four year-old daughter. The parents had smeared honey on the child's face so that the bears would lick it off.  They had evidently given no thought to what might happen once all the honey was gone.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #113 on: 10 November, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »
In Yellowstone earlier this year I was chatting with a park ranger who told me about a couple who had been discovered by one of his colleagues photographing two black bears with their four year-old daughter. The parents had smeared honey on the child's face so that the bears would lick it off.  They had evidently given no thought to what might happen once all the honey was gone.

That story's been making the rounds since at least the 1980s, sometimes it's peanut butter, sometimes it's honey.

« Reply #114 on: 08 January, 2019, 09:47:11 am »

« Reply #115 on: 08 January, 2019, 10:02:30 am »

That story's been making the rounds since at least the 1980s, sometimes it's peanut butter, sometimes it's honey.

Snopes has it as 'legend' status: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bear-mauls-honey-smeared-child/

i.e. not disproven but no evidence of such an attack found to say it is true either
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #116 on: 12 January, 2019, 12:14:09 am »
A valiant attempt at a Darwin, if unsuccessful: US driver in 'Bird Box blindfold' crashes in Utah

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 09 August, 2019, 12:00:16 am »
I reckon this qualifies under the sterilisation clause: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49278279

« Reply #118 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:01:01 am »
I reckon this qualifies under the sterilisation clause: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49278279

Seeing as the woman in question is 62, I'd have thought that the menopause would have taken care of that already.

And although details are lacking, we can't discount the possibility that she's already had children.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #119 on: 09 August, 2019, 08:06:12 am »
Dear Lord, what a twat goose.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #120 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:39:59 pm »
There were several features about this steaming lark a few months ago.

I suspect the story is being repeated/recycled for peak Silly Season reasons.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #121 on: 09 August, 2019, 02:10:38 pm »
With Boris on the one side, Trump on the other, Mussolini Salvini slavering down in Italy and Bolsonaro chopping down the Amazon, who needs silly?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #122 on: 09 August, 2019, 02:17:14 pm »
Correction: we need silly. Lots.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #123 on: 09 August, 2019, 02:35:24 pm »
Rhys seems like a nice chap and Maya would appear to be a kind soul but...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49294951/stevenage-car-cruise-crash-left-me-in-a-wheelchair

would you continue to spectate at these cruising events?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #124 on: 10 August, 2019, 08:25:30 pm »

I was trying NOT to read that, thanks
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens