Author Topic: New Etrex  (Read 31313 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TOBY

• hello
Re: New Etrex
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:48:25 am »
f#*k Yeah!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:54:32 am »
What are the dimensions?  It looks smaller than the current models, or else the screen's got bigger - either would be good.
Will it be able to store more than 500 trackpoints at a punch?
Most importantly, have the improved the joystick knob?

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:58:14 am »
The screen is 2.2" although I think that's the eTrex 10. The 30 has a smaller screen...

Scant details though. I'd be more interested if it had ANT+ comms (to get HR and Power when cycling). Also a pic of any bike mount.

Can't find anything on Garmin's site about them yet.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:07:55 am »
The screen is 2.2" although I think that's the eTrex 10. The 30 has a smaller screen...

Scant details though. I'd be more interested if it had ANT+ comms (to get HR and Power when cycling). Also a pic of any bike mount.

From the photo it looks compatible with the mount of the Dakota (which has ANT+ comms by the way!)
Chief cat entertainer.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:09:33 am »
What are the dimensions?  It looks smaller than the current models, or else the screen's got bigger - either would be good.

I don't know, and don't call me a knob!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:13:43 am »

I don't know, and don't call me a knob!

In bikesNOBnyc terms, I think you'd be a 'Fred'  ;)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:29:27 am »

Looks like they're up there now:-

Garmin | eTrex®

EDIT:  Not much information up yet though beyond what's on the engadget link upthread
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:48:19 am »
Still AA powered?

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:53:07 am »
Still AA powered?

That's what I was wondering..

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »
This garmin: etrex GPS suggests it will run on AAs.  I hope so. :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2011, 03:12:04 pm »
This might be good timing - I've been vascillating over a Vista or Oregon...the main pros/cons revolving around screen visibility, less routing options, and ANT+ support.

20/30 both have a 2.2" screen according to one/other of those links - assuming that's on the diagonal, that's a fraction larger than that of a Vista.

>Will it be able to store more than 500 trackpoints at a punch?

That's the squirrel-away-and-prune-data feature ? On the Oregon I think it can automatically log to the SD card, you'd hope that might carry over from one line to another..

<edit> - there's now a placeholder (well, slightly more) on the garmin website with some pretty pictures:
Garmin | eTrex®

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #12 on: 01 June, 2011, 05:47:23 pm »
Hmm, could be a good time to pick up another Vista HCx cheap ...

Perhaps the best thing about the new unit is it's lost the rubber band (or has it).  For the rest, it will probably be broadly similar to the 62 series, ie the 'new' Garmin OS (like Dakota etc) but hopefully with the option to switch back to old-style menus (like the 62 can).  The high-colour screen without the touch membrane to turn it to mush, should be great - though the terrain shading looks great in the pictures, I think most users soon turn it off.  And I expect it will run OS maps if you want to pay through the nose.
The mount works well enough and fits on stem as well as bars.

From this German Garmin press release (pdf):

5.3 x 9.9 x 3.3 cm
142g inc bats
Display 5.6cm diagonal touchscreen (?!) 65000 colours 128x160 px, rotatable
Galileo-compatible
1.7Gb internal memory
microSD card

(30 adds ...)
3-axis compass
barometer
ANT+

the touchscreen reference is, I hope, a mistake! - and the resolution as well (current Etrex C is 176x220, Dakota is 160x240)

The big internal memory plus SD card means that like other new-generation Garmins it will handle multiple map files, which is a definite plus.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2011, 12:21:24 am »
This looks really good  :)

My HCx has suddenly decided to shed its rubber surround  >:(

I'll have to replace it as it looks as if the new one is not out until late this year.

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2011, 03:29:33 pm »
My HCx has suddenly decided to shed its rubber surround  >:(

Free replacement unit on the way from Garmin - you can't beat that for good customer service  :)

The support person said that Garmin UK know no more than what is on the Garmin site, and that it might be at least 6 months before UK versions arrive.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2011, 11:46:14 am »
My HCx has suddenly decided to shed its rubber surround  >:(

Free replacement unit on the way from Garmin - you can't beat that for good customer service  :)

The support person said that Garmin UK know no more than what is on the Garmin site, and that it might be at least 6 months before UK versions arrive.

mine's doing that (and getting a bit rusty inside) who/where at Garmin did you contact about this?

thanks,

Toby

« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:00:14 pm »
http://www.garmin.com/uk/support/contact-support

Good response to both email and (free)phone number in the past - there is a bit of a queue on the phone though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »
Did they say Galileo compatibility?  Hell yeah.   :thumbsup:

The rubber band has turned into a moulded elastomer wrap.  That's going to be better than the dreaded rubber band, especially if they've listened to every damn owner every damn summer wailing about every damn sticky-icky rubber band. 

No upgrade fever here, too edgar, but should the unthinkable happen... :P
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

red marley

« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2011, 08:47:03 pm »
Did they say Galileo compatibility?  Hell yeah.   :thumbsup:

Except that we won't get operational Galileo-based services until 2014 or possibly later. Receiver technology may have moved on a bit by then.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2011, 09:42:04 pm »
That's not all that far away, and this kit lasts longer than smartphones. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2011, 09:49:15 pm »
Damn right. My next GPS must, absolutely must, be Galileo-compatible. Glonass & Beidou-2 (Compass) would also be nice to have.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #21 on: 09 June, 2011, 10:15:55 am »
I see some sites are listing the new Etrex as "available soon" but I'm sure we'll not get it until some months after it comes out in the US.
On the battery front, it's interesting that, for another new model, they've gone for  a dual battery solution - choose either the supplied rechargeable or AAs:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/4976/garmin-montana-650t

« Reply #22 on: 09 June, 2011, 11:31:22 am »
Same as the Satmap Active 10. Choice of AAs or proprietary battery pack. The AAs fit in a little holder, which has to be taken out to put the LiPOL battery in. A bit fiddly for changing on the road in the dark & wet, but no tools needed, so it is practical to use both.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #23 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:58:14 am »
Hmmm..after wondering if the Ant+ support only handled the chirp beacon things (and no mention of cadence/hrm up to now)- it looks like they've very recently updated the info pages:
http://www.garmin.com/uk/new-etrex-series
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=87774&ra=true

...and the Accessories>Fitness Sensor tab now lists the HRM strap and speed/cadence sensor for the Etrex 30 :)
(I assume knobbled in s/w for the 20, since it still handles chirp..)

Some list prices here too:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=143

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #24 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »
Can someone please tell me how these compare to the 705 or 800 Edge series, please?

My 705 does everything I want, and is pretty old - its recorded 23, 847 kms so far...  (fingers crossed for the G-pixies)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388