Author Topic: B****tspoons  (Read 3269 times)

Martin

B****tspoons
« on: 15 June, 2018, 08:55:34 pm »
Tim Martin has decided he can sell UK "champagne" cheaper than the French variety and is also replacing some of their German beers with UK versions

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wetherspoons-brexit-british-alcohol-tim-martin-patriotic-not-realistic-a8400691.html

although I like the chain and tend to drink UK brewed ale there I'm not pleased with the direction this is taking....

thoughts?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: B****tspoons
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:50:44 pm »
He is a brexit loving wanker. That is all.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:55:11 pm »
Yup, don't give him your business, go frequent somewhere nicer and better, which isn't a challenge. We have an ace micro pub nearby that gets all my local business. Excellent beer, they take requests, and I know the profits end up in the right pocket and the owners don't feel a need to lecture me with their political views. It's just a plus that neither of them are mulleted cunts that look like a stereotype of a 70s sex pest.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:17:09 pm »
There are six seven excellent bars within 5 minutes walk of our local 'Spoons...

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2018, 04:49:52 pm »
I didn't want to use Bletherspoons at the end of the recent Manchester-BPool FNRttC but lack of local knowledge meant we (well 3 of us, the others opted to get the 1st train out of Dodge) went there.
I think FNRsttC are the only time I patronise* Tim not so nice and dim's establishments..
For similar reasons, I'll never buy a Dyson.

* In this instance it doesn't mean talking down to them.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2018, 04:56:22 pm »
Mrs. Pingu wins the thread.  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2018, 05:37:01 pm »
If you look at a photo of Tim Martin you can see where the term "gammon" came from.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »
Quote I enjoyed from dead ringers; "Weatherspoons have stopped selling champagne. This is not a problem as anyone finding themselves in a weatherspoons has anything to celebrate"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:01:38 am »
Tim Martin has decided he can sell UK "champagne" cheaper than the French variety and is also replacing some of their German beers with UK versions

Wanker. "British" wine is made from imported grape juice. I doubt if he could sell English wine - i.e. wine from grapes grow in England - in sufficient quantity for it to be worth stocking: there isn't enough of it.

Meanwhile, Taittinger are setting up in Kent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:28:03 am »
Who the fuck was drinking Champagne in Wetherspoons?

It's like KFC threatening to stop selling Avocado Salads.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2018, 06:26:20 pm »
Who the fuck was drinking Champagne in Wetherspoons?

It's like KFC threatening to stop selling Avocado Salads.

Probably almost nobody; plus he prolly got a good deal in some cases from Denby's in Dorking;

if he's going to take this to its conclusion is he planning to stop selling Guinness Heineken St Stefanus (superb!) Leffe Peroni and other non UK EU brewed beers?

almost nobody sells actual French wine in bars or restaurants over here anyway

to those who say don't give Mullet your business, I've just bought 2 pints of Harveys and 2 packets of crisps and it cost what 2 meals with drinks (decent local ale too) would cost in spoons...

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2018, 07:45:10 am »
Guinness is owned by a British company. Its brewed in Dublin but the owners are British. Hmm a tough call for the delightful Mr Martin.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:28:16 am »
Spoons are currently heavily promoting Hop House 13 lager, which is also brewed in Dublin by Guinness.

Will they stop selling Stella too?

According to the Spoons website, their top four brands are Bud Light, Ruddles, John Smiths and Magners. Presumably they'll be looking for a new cider supplier now as well. Ruddles and JS are British enough, but also shite.

Personally, none of this will have any bearing on whether or not I continue to use Spoons - he's a prize twat but his pubs do a job. I don't go in them very often anyway, but they can be useful on occasion.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:43:15 am »
Just get a 4' x 6' EU flag to wrap around your shoulders when you pop into 'spoons.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:48:41 am »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wetherspoons-brexit-british-alcohol-tim-martin-patriotic-not-realistic-a8400691.html

although I like the chain and tend to drink UK brewed ale there I'm not pleased with the direction this is taking....

thoughts?
Thoughts:

I've heard that he's a bit of a twat but he seems to be being fairly principled over this vis-a-vis his Brexit stance.

He owns the company so he can do what the hell he wants with it, sell what he likes.

My local pub is a free-house and the landlord sells what he likes as well. 

Wetherspoons operate a "stack it high, sell it cheap" model so he can't afford to have expensive booze sat around for weeks.

Our local one is a bit bland, and seems to attract a lot of "Breakfast drinkers", and has skewed my impression of them,  but I've noticed that they've also kept many historic buildings economically viable around the country. 

To me they are like a McDonalds, a last resort but sometimes a welcome last resort (If you object to a McDonalds Burger then you simply haven't cycled far enough yet).

Note - I prefer Prosecco to Champers anyway. I'm a cheap date.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:16:13 am »
He doesn't actually own it - it's a plc.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

ian

« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:42:19 am »
If you want cheap beer, cheap food, and sticky tables, then you get Wetherspoons. Their main success was to replace the truly awful pubs that only served Fosters, crisps, and casual aggression.

Anyway, he's entitled to his views, but I don't want them with my drink and since he's added them to the equation, I'll add them to mine and take my very occasional business elsewhere.

« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »
We used to use 'Spoons in unfamiliar parts of the country for cheap & cheerful food & often local beers (invariably in good condition, though rarely young). We stopped going there (despite CAMRA 50p discount vouchers) when they removed fesh vegetables from the menu (I count sweetcorn as a high sugar version of maize, a staple). Sadly a large number of other pubs seem to have joined the rush down towards American crap food.

On the plus side they have made good use of some iconic buildings - Harrogate is an excellent example.

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 20 June, 2018, 05:48:17 pm »
We used to use 'Spoons in unfamiliar parts of the country for cheap & cheerful food & often local beers (invariably in good condition, though rarely young). We stopped going there (despite CAMRA 50p discount vouchers) when they removed fesh vegetables from the menu (I count sweetcorn as a high sugar version of maize, a staple). Sadly a large number of other pubs seem to have joined the rush down towards American crap food.

as someone who occasionally does eat at 'spoons I've noticed the choice has really gone down a lot recently (especially for veggies). Recently we've lost bagels, burritos, baguettes and pasta to name a few, and it's mostly just standard greasy pub fare now.

Pizza is a new idea but very fatty and cheese - laden compared to other chains and independents  (not Pizza Hut)