Author Topic: SIP recommendations - service provider and hardware  (Read 1130 times)

SIP recommendations - service provider and hardware
« on: 27 July, 2023, 05:02:14 pm »
Firstly, I did search the forum but posts were a few years old, so please forgive me if I'm asking the obvious.

I need to embrace SIP primarially for low cost calls to an octogenearian US residents cellphone.
requirements: CLI is my mobile or home number, good quality audio, actually applies to my end as well!
I have opened an account with Localphone  - then found their andriod app is out of date so tried their PC audio interface - lacks functionality such as audio quality check before dialling my   octogenarian relative. I first called a helpful UK septuganarian and she said the audio quality was poor which could be anything between headphones/PC*/my ISP/Localphone servers
That leaves option of 'some other andriod softphone app' or a proper IP telephone to allow me to spend the £2 credit I have with Localphone. Happy to choose A.N. Other provider.
Looking forward to the usual YACF good advice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: SIP recommendations - service provider and hardware
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2023, 06:58:22 pm »
Sounds like you want a US-based provider...

rr

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2023, 11:55:04 pm »
We have localphone which we access using a VoIP/landline phone. We used to use it a lot before we moved to unlimited calls SIMs on our mobiles, it is now used only for the occasional call to America or India.
95% of the time the quality is at least as good as a normal landline.

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2023, 06:47:10 am »
Thanks Kim and rr.

I'm going to look for a 'proper' phone for my end of the connection