Linked Events

• Irish Mail 400km audax: 13 June, 2009

Author Topic: The Irish Mail 400km  (Read 25019 times)

Chris S

Re: The Irish Mail 400km
« Reply #75 on: 12 June, 2009, 09:57:48 pm »
Tailwinds and Empty roads to everyone.

Forecast is looking almost kind. Veterans of the BCM or Cambrian will be stamping their feet and shouting "It's just not fair!".

Have fun!

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #76 on: 12 June, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »
IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!    :(

Good luck to all, I'm still suffering the disintegration of my body after last week, so I'm having an 'easy' weekend.  :thumbsup:

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #77 on: 13 June, 2009, 06:32:16 am »
Keep up to date with Chris N.

Didn't sleep too well last night

Did he forget his earplugs?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #78 on: 13 June, 2009, 07:00:06 am »

Thanks for the link, John.

(It will add detail to my weekend of wondering which is better, the regret at not being  on such a superb event, or the regrets of riding.)

simonp

« Reply #79 on: 13 June, 2009, 03:43:26 pm »
At llanberis now. Been very hilly so far. But the hard bit should be over now.

simonp

« Reply #80 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:33:24 am »
Finished 45 minutes ago.

« Reply #81 on: 14 June, 2009, 03:16:11 pm »
Finished at 2.35am. Cracking ride. Great weather although very windy on
Angelsey. The climbing was hard but the views of a clear Snowdonia were amazing. Best ride I've done in ages and makes up for packing on the Cambrian!.

Next stop  - the Borderline,  Oh if we could have the same weather again please!!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #82 on: 14 June, 2009, 04:00:05 pm »
excellent - glad the weather was as nice for you as it was in northumberland!
I slightly regret not doing this but the northern rock cyclone was so much fun i regret it slightly less  :) definitely entering this next year though assuming John's still running it.

anybody aiming to be one of the first to get the full pengwern SR this year? ;)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #83 on: 14 June, 2009, 06:23:41 pm »
Great ride, although sections 2 and 3 were pretty much the hardest I have done, eclipsing the Elenith I think. The little detour to miss out Beddgelert was a particularly nasty suprise! Rest of the ride was pretty quick and the blat down the A5 not as bad as I had feared. Finished at 5.55am. Scenery was also the best I have seen in Wales so far. Oh, and the weather was pretty much perfect.

First p*nct*re of the year for me too.  >:(

Thanks to organisers and also MattH for company for pretty much all the ride (apart from the last stage where I had Iron Maiden instead and the climb over the mountain road after my punture where I was on my own apart from a brief chat with Manotea). Condolences to Matt's mate Andy for whom this was his first ever ride over 300k. He packed at Bangor after having really struggled across Anglesea. Considering he rode over 200k to get to the start, he did bloody well!

Brilliant ride! Just a 200 to go for my Welsh SR - any recommendations?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #84 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:19:09 pm »
I conspired to miss the depart and left in glorious sunshine with Edwin Hargreaves (NOTP) who is a Triking God who dropped me after about 25km but I arrived at Lake Vynwy in time to pick up the tail of the field. Left with Scottlington and Matth but was soon dropped again on the foothills of the Bwlch Y Groes when it became woefully apparent that I had seriously underestimated how hilly the next two sections were. Not so much the Irish Mail as Postmans Walk. Ran into Scottlington again when he punctured but I pushed on sure he would catch me up and he did. Picked up Scottlington and Matth again at Coed Y Brenin and surprisingly also Klem who told tales of taking a wrong turn (perhaps not so surprising) and descending down a mountain and having to winch his way up again. Smiled smugly at the MTBers riding around the centre spinning granny gears. Left with MattH and Scottlington but reprised the previous stage and started to feel the ride slip away but pushed on to Llanberis to at least prove riding the pass on the Brian Chapman wasn't a fluke. Arrived at Pete's Eat's at 5pm (yep, 11 hours for 165km) just in time to see Scottlington and Matth leaving. Planned a quick stop with a view to catching them at Holyhead now the the hilly stuff was done and ordered a mug of tea and some apple crumble and custard (the 'Special' off the blackboard). Alas time passed chatting with Revrob who I hadn't met before and by 5:30 I had not been 'crumbled'. Stern words with the staff generated a plate of chips (followed shortly by the crumble...) but I'd just lost a hour and it seemed exceedingly unlikely I'd catch the dynamic duo. I now faced spending circa 14 hours mostly on my own which I didn't particularly fancy as I find 400km hard work anyway and started considering Cunning Plans. The headwind on the way to Menaii sealed the deal and I cut across to pick up the A5 and pootle for home. I reached the village hall control at Glyndyfrdwy around 11pm and had a bite to eat chatting with George Hanna, Ray Robinson and other fast types before dozing off in my chair waking to discover myself all alone (it's getting to be a habit). Busied myself to leave but still felt very cold so as 'for me the ride was over' I grabbed a mattress and sleeping bag for 4 hours quality sleep (I hope I didn't deprive somebody more deserving of the same opportunity) before pushing on to Upton Magna riding through a glorious dawn. So no brevet but 300km of uber glorious Welsh scenery and sunshine is more than good enough for me. A special Well Done to ChrisN who was the only other fixer and who showed how it should be done. I'll be back next year but will probably bring gears...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #85 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:25:34 pm »
Fantastic ride

I love Wales and this went through some stunning scenery.  It crossed a section I'd not been before and I'm glad it did.  Enjoyed the descent down Bwlch y Groes

I forgot my shorts  ::-) and had to do the ride in my night time long tights
The ride did visit a bike shop but it was for MTBers and only had John Mills in "Ice Cold in Alex" shorts

Hoped to get to Holyhead to leave by 6:30pm but didn't leave until 7:30pm
Rode quite a bit with ChrisN who was on fixed  :P

« Reply #86 on: 14 June, 2009, 09:16:12 pm »
I presume ChrisN was the guy who I followed up Bwlch Y Groes and then down the other side. Chapeau! to anyone who can ride up that hill on fixed. As for coming down the other side - I have never seen anyones legs move so quickly!

For me though the best decent was of Llanberis Pass 46mph and so fast that I overtook at least half a dozen cars although needed both sides of the road to get around some of the corners. A true "White Knuckle Extravaganza!

Chris S

« Reply #87 on: 14 June, 2009, 09:37:30 pm »
I fear Chris N has become one of the Chosen Ones who can ride silly-hilliness on fixed gear. I enjoy riding fixed myself, but not up mountains. I'm not, and probably will never be, one of the chosen ones.

Young master Greenbank is well on his way there too  ::-).

simonp

« Reply #88 on: 14 June, 2009, 11:10:11 pm »
Well, the 2nd and 3rd sections were hard work. Worth it for the views though. Especially turning right near the top of the first mountain road climb.  Rode with a guy called bron for most of that section until he punctured for the second time. He was on his first 400 but it didn't show.

Was surprised how hard the 3rd section was due to the differences to the bcm route. Took 12 hours for 200km so not very fast. Slow service at a couple of controls meant time stopped was more than desired. Bron caught me as I crossed Anglesey and we stuck together all thecway back to Bangor where we were joined by vorsprung. I had to stop to eat so got dropped but caught vorsprung up on the descent, and we stayed together to the sleep stop. I managed to fall asleep on the wooden floor which was a first. Unfortunately when I woke most of the food had gone so just had a banana and set off. Kept fighting the Bonk all the wayvback to the finish.

A stunning route. Great weather. Hardest 400 I've done. But despite my lack of miles not my slowest 400 ever.  

« Reply #89 on: 14 June, 2009, 11:16:16 pm »
Got home about an hour ago, just shy of 900k since Friday lunchtime, so I'm sitting here with a well earned beer and food.

Will post a ride report tomorrow, but thanks to everyone involved. It was a fantastic weekend and definitely still my favourite ride.

Not heard anything from Andy, I hope he managed to get home OK.

Chris N

« Reply #90 on: 14 June, 2009, 11:18:08 pm »

We're off

Bez and Scottlington on the front, near Shrewsbury

Climbing out of Llanuwchllyn
(R-L: Richie, Mel Kirkland - I think, Vorsprung, Climberruss)

Bwlch y Groes
Mel went left.  Should've gone right. ;D

Somewhere above Coed y Brenin

Bus shelter at Maentwrog - first time in daylight

Nant Gwynant

Chip butty and a pint of tea, Pete's Eats

Menai Bridge

Sunrise over Shropshire

Breakfast, Upton Magna.  £5! :thumbsup:

A special Well Done to ChrisN who was the only other fixer and who showed how it should be done.

Thanks, though I don't feel I was able to do this ride justice.  I underestimated just how hilly the section from Lake Vyrnwy to Llanberis was and suffered terribly in the heat - walked up six or seven climbs and had to stop several times to stretch cramp out of my legs.  Too hot, too fast, too hilly.  63/70" and a slower first 200 next year, I think.

I presume ChrisN was the guy who I followed up Bwlch Y Groes and then down the other side. Chapeau! to anyone who can ride up that hill on fixed. As for coming down the other side - I have never seen anyones legs move so quickly!

Ah, so that's who you are!  Not really sure how fast I was going down there, though my GPS reckons that my Vmax was 66km/h, or about 202 rpm.  That doesn't sound right, but I might have managed to go that quick coming back over Cannock Chase today.

« Reply #91 on: 15 June, 2009, 06:22:26 am »

Thanks to all for the Reports!
Especially ChrisN for the superb combination of Twitter updates, report, pictures and fine riding.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #92 on: 15 June, 2009, 07:07:36 am »
Looks a fantastic ride Chris.

Thanks for the pictures.

H

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #93 on: 15 June, 2009, 08:28:23 am »
Got home about an hour ago, just shy of 900k since Friday lunchtime, so I'm sitting here with a well earned beer and food.

You, Sir, are insane Sir!!

Well done!  :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #94 on: 15 June, 2009, 09:22:01 am »

Near Bwlch y Groes

The short cut to Beddgelert

The secret fuel of the fixed gear rider

Chris S

« Reply #95 on: 15 June, 2009, 09:50:48 am »
Mmm... beer for breakfast. I must try this audaxing lark...  :)

Chris N

« Reply #96 on: 15 June, 2009, 09:55:36 am »
A pint of Stonehouse Station Bitter.  Very, very nice.

« Reply #97 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:17:32 am »
Definitely gets my vote as the best ride of the year (so far). Snowdonia looked stunning and it was great to ride the part of the BCM night sections in daylight, the A470 through Trawsfynydd is a changed road for me now. Somehow I managed to miss the shortcut of Beddgelert and it sounds like a proper mountain road, must try it sometime.

I teamed up with Stephen Rogers (blue Ribble) on leaving Llanberis and we completed rest of ride together. Thanks for the company S if you're reading this :thumbsup:   

Anyone for the Offa's Dyke/Clawdd Offa?

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #98 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:44:59 am »
An excellent ride. Probably the only 400 to date where i haven't experienced a major downer at some point* (see caveat below)

After a night of rough sleep in the village hall (I'm a light sleeper so will sleep in the car or tent next time) set off at a fair lick in a group containing Joolz and Garry King amongst others.

A shortish break at Lake Vyrnwy saw myself, Vorsprung and chrisN and others tackle the Bwlch. This wasn't as bad as i had feared - with the added comedy element of one rider (Mel Kirkland, according to ChrisN's post above) descending the wrong side of the Bwlch despite several riders screaming at him as he disappeared at a rate of knots.  I bumped into him as i was leaving the last control where he mentioned he had taken an hour to descend then re-ascend!

Nearing the top of Pen-y-pass there was a sponsored cycle event of some kind going which didn't seem to know if it was on or off-road.  Riders were cycling (or pushing) up a dirt track near the top of Nant Gwynant then joining the road, the bikes being a mixture from cheapo supermarket specials to a few decent road-race specials?  Joined up with Joolz for the descent to Llanberis, the first time i've cycled this in the dry for about 3 years!

Didn't particularly enjoy the incessant headwinds on Anglesey or the rolling nature of the terrain, and was quite pleased to get back onto the mainland where i was now quite definately on my own. I also managed to get lost on Anglesey for 10 minutes leaving Holyhead. (note to self - if you've got a GPS on your handlebars, fecking well look at it.....)

The next leg to Glyndyfrwdy was probably one of my favourites - fairly gentle inclines, low traffic, and the stunning scenery of Tryfan and Ogwen etc . Managed to get well away from Snowdonia before it got dark, whereupon the MP3 player was put to good use listening to an eclectic selection of stuff ranging from Green Day's latest, to Simon and Garfunkel.

After a decent break at Glyndyfrwdy (which i struggle to spell, never mind pronounce) it was back on with the MP3 player and another solitary run back to Upton Magna for a well-earned cuppa.

A superb event - thanks to John for running it so well.

* Managed to tweak my left achilles slightly about 200k in, so did the obvious thing and ignored it and carried on.....  It's not so bad today, but definately not right, which is a bit worrying with the Dave Lewis 600 in a couple of weeks then LEL.  I'm going to give it a few days then get some proffessional advice if no improvement.....
Sheep we're off again.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #99 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:58:48 am »

Nearing the top of Pen-y-pass there was a sponsored cycle event of some kind going which didn't seem to know if it was on or off-road.  Riders were cycling (or pushing) up a dirt track near the top of Nant Gwynant then joining the road, the bikes being a mixture from cheapo supermarket specials to a few decent road-race specials?  Joined up with Joolz for the descent to Llanberis, the first time i've cycled this in the dry for about 3 years!
They were doing a 40km cycle+a canoe trip+a run.
I overtook one group I talked to twice, once going up the A4085 and again at the bottom of the Llanberis pass descent- I stopped to get water at the top of the pass
Didn't particularly enjoy the incessant headwinds on Anglesey
I did enjoy their cooling qualities.  Although I do admit I did get on ChrisNs wheel after sufficient cooling had occurred.  Then back into the wind to talk about cookery
The next leg to Glyndyfrwdy was probably one of my favourites - fairly gentle inclines, low traffic, and the stunning scenery of Tryfan and Ogwen etc .
Yes I agree that bit was super.  Those shallow gradient climbs are excellent.
* Managed to tweak my left achilles slightly about 200k in, so did the obvious thing and ignored it and carried on.....  It's not so bad today, but definately not right, which is a bit worrying with the Dave Lewis 600 in a couple of weeks then LEL.  I'm going to give it a few days then get some proffessional advice if no improvement.....
Oops.  Ice it and take it easy and hopefully you'll be ok.  "The Bridge too Far" 600 is an easy ride