Linked Events

• Upper Thames: 06 November, 2010

Author Topic: Upper Thames 5th November 2022  (Read 106226 times)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
Re: Upper Thames 3rd November 2018
« Reply #475 on: 04 November, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »
Just wanted to echo the positive comments above and add my thanks to everyone involved in organising what was a cracking ride.

« Reply #476 on: 04 November, 2018, 06:11:08 pm »
Fabulous Ride, thank you Phil for such an organised route. Really good to have such fast service in both cafe stops. Great company on the way around as well - particular thanks to Ian as we shared our pains on the last few km.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #477 on: 04 November, 2018, 06:22:15 pm »
Another fun ride (no rain always helps in that regard). Thanks to the organising team, a well-sorted event and route.

The trike rolled around ok, though I probably should have had something to eat rather than running on fumes for the last hour into Chipping Norton. The wind was a bit of a slog but a geared trike is a bit easier than my usual fixed bike. The recently resurfaced roads were a nice change - more of that please!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #478 on: 04 November, 2018, 06:42:43 pm »
My last two events have been very wet followed by very cold. Weather yesterday was close to perfect, bit of headwind, but that could have been worse.
I collected one of Phil's Bananas at Waterperry then carried it in my jersey pocket for 100Km & questioned why I'd picked it up.
20Km from Arivee I ran out of energy, legs were empty and wheelman Micky was having to back off for me to keep up.
We stopped and had 10 minutes sit down on a bench in East Hagbourne & I had the best banana I've every tasted in my life :) The effect was amazing, I left Micky behind on the final hill, which might have been a bit unkind since he towed me for the previous 10Km!

Thanks to Phil & Team for a great day out.

« Reply #479 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:47:11 pm »
Another fun ride (no rain always helps in that regard). Thanks to the organising team, a well-sorted event and route.

The trike rolled around ok, though I probably should have had something to eat rather than running on fumes for the last hour into Chipping Norton. The wind was a bit of a slog but a geared trike are a bit easier than my usual fixed bike in that regard. The recently resurfaced roads were a nice change - more of that please!

and in a green jersey?  Don't know how many trike-riders there were...

UT200-towards Christmas common by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #480 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:14:42 pm »
That's the one.

There was a damp, leafy steep climb where the one-wheel drive slipped slightly during most pedal strokes and the front wheel kept wanting to skip right. More skilled trikies have no problems finessing their way up tricky slopes. I tend to believe in the power of swear instead.

Martin

« Reply #481 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:31:50 pm »
Disaster has struck and I have no working rear brake.

I had no working front brake after 10k thanks to an unscheduled road interface which rendered my left hand fairly useless plus various other extremities; In true Upper Thames style I carried on and was I glad?

fantastic ride as always, full value with 4 min on the clock at the Arrivee, one advantage was I saw lots more fireworks than usual!

lots of kites plus a couple of fallow deer

Didn't quite manage to get stuck between the red lights under the flightpath of a landing Hercules at Brize Norton like 2012 but saw one storming overhead just after.

Thanks Phil Mary Brian and Steve!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #482 on: 04 November, 2018, 09:05:46 pm »
An A400 landed just before I rode past the end of the Brize Norton runway, according to the enthusiast standing there with his partner. The A400 is like a Hercules but bigger.

Martin

« Reply #483 on: 04 November, 2018, 09:14:38 pm »
An A400 landed just before I rode past the end of the Brize Norton runway, according to the enthusiast standing there with his partner. The A400 is like a Hercules but bigger.

yes it might have an A400; big and noisy with propellors. I think a jet landed just before (the wind from the South was so strong couldn't hear the engines)

« Reply #484 on: 05 November, 2018, 07:34:58 am »
It’s been 3 years since my last Upper Thames outing, i’ve missed out!  Lovely ride, thanks to Phil, Mary, the other helpers and even the riders...

I talked a mate into coming along for his first Audax, then on Friday he admitted it would be his first imperial ton as well... slow and steady I deliberately let the bulge disappear and once we hit the quiet place climb we dropped back a bit more.  He was nervous but we kept it steady, i made sure he fed well at waterperry and reassured him we had loads of time in hand.  Onwards to chippy we stopped at the 3rd info & chatter to some others, one kind chap dished out jelly babies & we pushed on.  My mate amazed by how friendly everybody was  :thumbsup: he’s only done sportive rides and explains how lonely they can be.

Another long stop at chippy for a good fuelling, jelly baby man advised a Cruze back with sugary drinks from spar shops :). So off we set into the wind.  I told him just to wheelsuck - and boy he did :) we ticked past 100 miles & had a little celebration (mars milkshake from a spar shop)

He hit ‘that pothole ‘ coming into Steventon , pinch flat on the rear.  Boy, that was a bastard to fix!  He had new wire bead tyres that were SO tight we actually lost 1 hour changing it, then realise if he’d pinched the tube, changing it again etc... I fed him whilst we worked and reassured that we had time in hand.

Eventually on the road again we rode next to eachother all the way back.  He was knackered, but seemed to enjoy it. Just over 13hrs is my second slowest ever 200, but who cares it was great  :thumbsup:

So thanks to jellybaby man, sorry I didn’t get your name - I hope you’ve helped hook another into the madness  ::-)

@phil i’ll Be in touch RE that gps, sorry it slipped my mind st the end.

See you all next year :)

« Reply #485 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:11:50 am »
Bobby, was that you on the vintage Peugeot?  If so, I was the bloke on the red and white Mercian. 

« Reply #486 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:43:00 am »
Bobby, was that you on the vintage Peugeot?  If so, I was the bloke on the red and white Mercian. 

Not guilty - I was on a Ti equilibrium & my mate was on a ribble in stealth black with fancy (loud!) SRAM red wireless etap gears

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #487 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:17:32 pm »
A great day out. Tough after Chipping Norton into the wind but we were pushing it all the way round. We had a first time Audaxer with us in the shape of a pocket rocket 17 year old who rides 19 minute tens and goes up hills like they are decents. This was his longest ride to date but he had no problem whatsoever and helped us get back to Cholsey just before 4pm. Thanks to Phil and the other helpers, the curry and rice was spot on at the end.

« Reply #488 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:54:33 pm »

Over here for Peugeot man, Whippet. Hey, what's with all the 'vintage' stuff btw? your bike's almost as old as mine, but much nicer to look at :-)
Good to catch up.
Garry Broad

« Reply #489 on: 06 November, 2018, 08:17:56 pm »
Thanks for your company Von Broad, just what I needed as was pretty tired at that point.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #490 on: 13 November, 2018, 08:23:14 pm »
Been a bit busy so only just got around to posting.  Very enjoyable ride as always.  Autumn colours were spectacular this year.  The only minor hiccup was that something got through my rear Schwalbe Durano just after Charney Bassett.  I don't usually get to see the fireworks but by riding from home to the start I did get to see them on the way back.  And that wind eased substantially after dusk so I didn't have to ride into it as I was fearing.  Thanks Phil & Mary
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #491 on: 26 November, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »
I emailed all riders after the event to say that I had two items of lost property. The mudguard has been claimed, but the gps unit remains unclaimed. Perhaps my email went into spam. If it's yours, let me know.

Thanks to everyone that posted comments about the event. It's always gratifying to know people appreciate the effort. Actually, we know you do, because you keep coming back!

Re: Upper Thames 2nd November 2019
« Reply #492 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:16:35 am »
Yes, it's time for this event (16th edition) again. Entries are coming in; still space for lots more.

Anyone willing to commit to arriving early and helping at the start would be welcome. Don't need many.

I still have a GPS head left behind last time. No-one claimed it, which I find surprising! It must be worth a few bob.

Phil

simonp

« Reply #493 on: 21 October, 2019, 05:28:49 pm »
I just did my entry.

So now to decide if I want to drive for 2h or look for accommodation.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #494 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:51:58 pm »
I'm booked, getting an early train from London with a pal. Will try not to snooze off on the ride and miss our stop 😴
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #495 on: 21 October, 2019, 11:21:01 pm »
Next stop...

Didcot
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #496 on: 24 October, 2019, 04:59:53 pm »
Lots of roadworks, including some closures, on the route at the moment, but most of them will be clear by end-Oct. But there looks to be a roadclosure which will be in place on Nov 2, just 3km from the end. Network Rail are working on a bridge. I hope to know whether there will be pedestrian access through by next Monday. There's no easy local work around, so if I have to re-route, all riders will discover the delights of Didcot!

If I do need to re-route, details of revised routesheet plus gps file will be on the thamesvalleyaudax website by Monday evening.

« Reply #497 on: 28 October, 2019, 10:31:06 am »
Panic over (mine; I don't suppose any of you were panicking!)

While the roadworks at South Moreton are continuing (until end-Nov) there is access for pedestrians and cyclists. So the routesheet stands. I have made a couple of cosmetic edits (including putting this year's date on) but last year's routesheet and gps file will be fine

Martin

« Reply #498 on: 01 November, 2019, 11:59:37 am »
roll call?

looking a little damp in the morning, just when i can't find my overshoes  :(

simonp

« Reply #499 on: 01 November, 2019, 12:08:21 pm »
Damp, more than damp, and more than a little windy.

Fighting against time to get my bike ready - hopefully not too late a night will follow as it's a 2h drive to the start.