Author Topic: Noctilucent clouds tonight  (Read 8293 times)

Noctilucent clouds tonight
« on: 18 June, 2009, 12:01:25 am »
Good display of noctilucent clouds tonight - worth looking north just after dark at the moment. These were at 23:20BST from south Birmingham

Re: NLCs tonight
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2009, 12:19:17 am »
Nice photo. :thumbsup:

Someone at work mentioned that he saw them last night at around this time, and that you could see them even with the light pollution visible throughout most of the London area.  I just had a peer outside.  I don't have a very clear view of the Northern skyline from here, but as far as I can see, there are none currently visible from Croydon.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Re: Noctilucent clouds tonight
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2009, 09:45:11 am »
You need to look when the sun's about 10 degrees below the horizon. Here in Brum they started appearing at about 22:50BST were best at 23:15, started fading at about 23:30, gone by 23:40

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2009, 09:47:44 am »
Lovely image!
My partner has not imaged this phenomenon much this year.
Here are some he made earlier...
http://www.davidarditti.co.uk/astro/noctilucent.htm

Our street lights are a bit bright...

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2009, 12:39:44 pm »
Wow, I love that shot of NLCs over Moscow!

Where I am in Sarf London there's usually too much glare from the centre of town but I've seen good displays from the Wallington area in recent summers.

I'm heading out of town after work tonight and will keep my eyes peeled but I fear there'll be a lot of (low level) cloud. 

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2009, 01:05:56 pm »
According to one of our guys, you've been able to see noctilucent clouds over London for the last couple of nights, but I'm unsure from which part of London he's been looking.
(I just saw him at Lunch, I should have asked him. ).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2009, 01:42:48 pm »
I've never even heard of noctilucent clouds before but that pic is lovely. As are yours, hm.

I shall be looking out for them tonight.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2009, 06:37:23 pm »
If you do see noctilucent clouds, please report sightings to Ken Kennedy who collates reports of observations.

There are some theories on how they are formed and he nearly has enough data to assess whether these models are credible.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2009, 09:32:39 pm »
Looks like tonight could be another good night. Clouds are clearing nicely in Norfolk. Camera is at the ready...

Hopefully, I can stay awa.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2009, 09:32:32 am »
David told me he'd photographed a spectacular display last night, as he crawled into bed at 5am.
Will post them when available.

« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2009, 01:54:22 pm »
Saturday could be interesting, since we'll be cycling through the wilds of Somerset and Wiltshire on the Solstice WARTY, we should have reasonably dark skies to spot any noctilucent clouds, weather permitting.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2009, 05:56:03 pm »
Too many real clouds here last night :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2009, 01:43:27 am »
David's images of 19 June are on http://www.davidarditti.co.uk/astro/nlc09.htm

He tells me one has made it to British Astronomical Association's Picture of the week.  :) :)

« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2009, 11:09:14 pm »
Nice display tonight....

« Reply #14 on: 14 July, 2009, 09:37:02 am »
cracking shot there Saturn - I wish I had clearer skies to the north, but I have central London in that direction.

Here's one from Sunday's display, the brightest I've seen from home.

« Reply #15 on: 14 July, 2009, 12:33:15 pm »
Thanks PaulR, I have Birmingham to my North, although Sunday's shot was more north-west.

I've been frustrated looking for NLCs over recent years, never been sure exactly where to look and at what time and haven't knowingly seen them before this year. This year's displays have been so obvious although the timing's still quite critical, and of course variable depending on altitude and date. I first looked just afer 22:30 and they were brilliant, reaching almost up to the zenith. By the time I'd grabbed the camera and fired off some shots they were perhaps past their best although the photo still only shows a small part of the total display and doesn't really do it justice.

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2010, 11:00:03 pm »
*bump*

Is it a whole YEAR already?  :o

Nice display shaping up to the North, here in Norfolk. I'll keep my eyes peeled if I stay up  :thumbsup:.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 08 July, 2010, 11:06:15 pm »
Here are some my partner photographed earlier this week.

We've usually seen them best in June but had few then here this year.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 09 July, 2010, 07:51:34 am »
I thought I'd lost the ones I took last year, but found one. Taken at around 2am as I recall, looking NNE.

« Reply #19 on: 10 July, 2010, 09:56:41 am »
Did anyone see the display at 11 to 11.30 last night?  I was walking south over Waterloo Bridge and glanced back to see what Somerset House was looking like and there was the brightest NLC array I've ever seen.  We walked along the south bank with London's fine buildings set aganis a backdrop of shifting silvery-turquoise mesh.  By the time we reached London Bridge it had pretty much fizzled out.  oh how I wish I had been carrying a camera!

Chris S

« Reply #20 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »
Something on the BBC website:

BBC News - Audio slideshow: Noctilucent clouds

There was a spectacular display as we were returning to HQ on Saturday's Seething 600 audax. About 2:45am, the whole northern quadrant was lit in a ghostly white light. Beautiful. Sadly, I didn't have the right kit with me to take pictures - and in any case, I was rather preoccupied with the ride.

« Reply #21 on: 19 July, 2010, 08:24:22 pm »
We used to get these all the time when we lived in Kent, on the North Downs.

If I'd realised they were speical, maybe I'd have taken some photos.  :-[
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #22 on: 12 August, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »
Recent aurora and noctilucent clouds, far north of Scotland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7PQbfnErEw

Chris S

« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2013, 10:00:53 pm »
Recent aurora and noctilucent clouds, far north of Scotland:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E7PQbfnErEw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/E7PQbfnErEw&rel=1</a>

* like * !

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:13:58 am »
Amazing. Breathtaking.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex